R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-31-2007, 10:05 PM   #1711
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I always really liked the Proto Peugeut (sp), when we ran on a unprepared mall parking lot, on big tracks it stuck well

Murnan Modified Motors

Mugen MRx4

Rocket Science Fuels

Auto Racing, Mountain climbing, and Bull fighting are the only true sports, all the rest are just games.
theRED5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 12:45 PM   #1712
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

RCMART has these interesting 200mm bodies from Active Hobby & COLT bodies:

200mm New Man Porsche GTP:
http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...ducts_id=18750

200mm Toyota GT1
http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...ducts_id=20337

Has anyone tried these bodies out or have any experience with these companies products? It seems they are popular in ASIA and EU...these should work nicely on 200mm pan cars, I hope....time to make some orders while they last!

Last edited by yyhayyim; 08-02-2007 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Spelling Company
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:37 PM   #1713
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyhayyim View Post

200mm Toyota GT1

Has anyone tried these bodies out or have any experience with these companies products? It seems they are popular in ASIA and EU...these should work nicely on 200mm pan cars, I hope....time to make some orders while they last!
Looks nice -
I just ordered this one but going to use it on a TC not a Pan Car

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...0&I=LXLLL9&P=K
studysession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:37 PM   #1714
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to primusblowsgoat Send a message via Yahoo to primusblowsgoat

Both of them look nice, does RCmart carry anything else of use, I would hate to place an order just for the bodies.
primusblowsgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:08 PM   #1715
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
200mm Toyota GT1
I haven't used the products, but Dinball is a huge seller on eBay. His/her feedback is phenomenally good, especially when considering the amount of business they've done. I'm going to buy both of those bodies for comparisons sake, besides, they're both HOT! Me likey
Greg Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:38 PM   #1716
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe View Post
I haven't used the products, but Dinball is a huge seller on eBay. His/her feedback is phenomenally good, especially when considering the amount of business they've done. I'm going to buy both of those bodies for comparisons sake, besides, they're both HOT! Me likey

I think Dinball and RCMART are the same company...they sell lots of high-end stuff and have really nice prices. My friends and I ordered some bodies together so we can save on shipping
Old 08-02-2007, 07:02 PM   #1717
Tech Adept

Quote:
I think Dinball and RCMART are the same company...they sell lots of high-end stuff and have really nice prices. My friends and I ordered some bodies together so we can save on shipping
Yeah they are the same. I buy a lot from them because it's good and the prices are cheap.
studysession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:02 PM   #1718
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan

Tell me how the New Man Porsche and those bodies from Dinball turn out. I'll add them to the list on the front page.

Spektrum Telemetry

I purchased a Spektrum Telemetry system to get better back to back data on my testing. I have two modules and electric accessory sensors, one hand held unit and one infrared trigger. Some things you don't learn about these systems until you actually get them in your hand.

The trigger is a non intelligent Infrared light. You set it on the inside portion of an outside lane so as not to interfere with itself. One trigger can be used for all the cars running the system. I imagine two triggers on the track will foul things up.

The lap times are recorded and transmitted by the in car module. This module also stores the string of current laptimes. At the end of the run this string can be recorded for later playback by the handheld unit. The handheld unit normally just displays the current lap time. When you turn the car off the string is erased in the in car module.

The lap timing trigger is infrared like the Personal Orion Lap timing system. This means you mount a sensor on an upright to sense through a hole in the side window. A hole is reccomended. It is different than the orion system in that you don't have to retrieve the track unit to read lap times. They will be on your hand held unit when stored.

I have installed a minimum of sensors, Motor Temp and Lap time. RPM or speed is also available. My experience is these are off as much as 15 to 20 % from tire slip especially if there are bumps. Another disadvantage is the constantly changing tire diameter on a pan car. A radar might be better here and I already have it. Some of the speed attemt guys used a fifth wheel to get better data from this type of RPM sensor.

Pic is of the system installed on Tally's car. Hopefully it will be dry tomorrow. If so we will have a good crew to wear in the track. In the pic the clear small module is the incar part next to an older large size Spektrum Receiver. The module is the same size as the new Pro Receiver in my Car.

Second Pic shows the Infrared Sensor install on my Toyota GT1 body. I put in a 1/4 inch hole. I had to put a dog leg bend on the LEXAN upright with heat and used the side of the Servo for a mounting position. Note that I open that top vent on the body to cool the GTB system in the Summer.
John
Attached Thumbnails
Pantoura, 1/10 Pan Car, 2S LiPo, Brushless, Tips and Tricks.-spektrum-lap-timing-system-005-resized.jpg   Pantoura, 1/10 Pan Car, 2S LiPo, Brushless, Tips and Tricks.-spektrum-lap-timing-system-006-cropped.jpg  

Last edited by John Stranahan; 08-02-2007 at 09:19 PM.
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:52 PM   #1719
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

...if I'm not mistaken, we've got a couple different conversations going on in here...

ANY and ALL of my comments are based on what I've seen for John and NICK's cars on a Drag Strip or Straight Line type of run.

Making a car handle on the ROAD COURSE is a totally different animal, because you are looking for HUGE Downforce to allow Maximum speeds and traction in the corners....trying to make a 2wd PAN CAR stick like a 1/8th scale 4wd car.

When I watch the video of a GTP type car on a drag strip however, make a U-TURN in what looks like a 5-6 foot circle...THAT CAR has too much steering for a Straight Line run. Npw, if you are going to try to run 100 MPH for 100 ft. and TURN right at the end of it...that's a whole nuther game, and a very fine balancing act. Because you'll NEED the front downforce...and the REAR traction when hitting that corner.

Wanna peek at 20 OVAL Cars running 60 MPH on a slippery VELODROME?

Encino Velodrome ALLSTAR Race on YouTube
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 12:13 AM   #1720
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan

SW Tour- also maybe a thing for me to add is that when the road pan car looses rear traction, it will make that 5 to 6 foot radius turn with no driver steering input at all. On the track it normally darts into the boards unless you correct really quickly when it's slick and you use a little too much throttle. Nick Case told the same tale of lack of traction at the dragstrip where he captured the record. His cars had gyros in them. Mine did not.

MY dual rate was all the way to wide circle. On my track it turns in about a 2-3 foot circle to get proper benefit from the caster. Not being able to correct a non driver induced steering input is not a nice feature of a huge turning circle.

I have suggested again to Nick, as I did when he first showed me his plans, to abandon the pan car chassis in a serious high speed attempt. I made a non serious attempt. Maybe one more for fun. Nick Case needed a fourwheel drive vehicle this year to get enough traction for a good run. He had two other cars in the stable.

John

Last edited by John Stranahan; 08-03-2007 at 04:20 PM.
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:11 AM   #1721
Tech Regular

john I agree with you about pan cars and the hi speed Land Speed Record.

I believe 4wheel drive with rubber tires (belted) is the way to go for those conditions last weekend.
Track conditions, VHT was applied and was sticky, I stuck to it as I walked across the track. the Light breeze dusted the track with a coating of dust.

I saw the rails smoke their tires and going thru the trap. The pan cars would frisbee when they started to aquaplane of the dust at the end to the strip.

now I'm glad I didn't enter my velo car. next year I will have a 4wheel drive car. probably belt drive because they are faster. Well I think it is faster.lol

my goal 100 mph any faster than that, I can't see the car anymore!!

When nicks car went by at "Only" 115, all that I saw was a streak.

It looks easier than it is to drive at full speed for 1/4 mile. The strip looked a lot narrower than the ones I used to run on.

later
wn
nagatahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:47 AM   #1722
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTour View Post
...if I'm not mistaken, we've got a couple different conversations going on in here...

ANY and ALL of my comments are based on what I've seen for John and NICK's cars on a Drag Strip or Straight Line type of run.
Gotcha - it's been a very minor part of the conversation, though, so you can understand my comment. John has been working on a road car, specifically.

Quote:
Making a car handle on the ROAD COURSE is a totally different animal, because you are looking for HUGE Downforce to allow Maximum speeds and traction in the corners....trying to make a 2wd PAN CAR stick like a 1/8th scale 4wd car.
We also try to get as much mechanical grip as possible, thus the soft foams (greens, whites, pinks, etc.) and John's excellent independent dual-arm front suspension.

Quote:
When I watch the video of a GTP type car on a drag strip however, make a U-TURN in what looks like a 5-6 foot circle...THAT CAR has too much steering for a Straight Line run. Npw, if you are going to try to run 100 MPH for 100 ft. and TURN right at the end of it...that's a whole nuther game, and a very fine balancing act. Because you'll NEED the front downforce...and the REAR traction when hitting that corner.
It's not as fine a balancing act as you imagine! We do it all the time - just not on a dusty and slippery area. Nobody makes downforce without some speed (no airflow, no downforce) and it didn't look like John ever got any speed or airflow. . . Even with some speed and airflow, a sweeper or hairpin can be fun on slippery surfaces.

Quote:
Wanna peek at 20 OVAL Cars running 60 MPH on a slippery VELODROME?

Encino Velodrome ALLSTAR Race on YouTube

You know - I've seen the Velo and never thought it to be slippery in the sense we think it. For one thing, it's heavily banked meaning that turns aren't as strong as if the place was flat (say at HotRod's - not sure if he's still running oval). For another, the slippery that I saw wasn't like a dusty slickness, it was a polished surface which actually works well for us with soft foams.

Honestly, you can't have a velodrome on a really slick surface - velodromes are built for cycle racing and you have to have some kind of traction for those 1/2" slick tires (mine are Richey on Bontrager rims) - no traction and velo is suicide.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:51 AM   #1723
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to primusblowsgoat Send a message via Yahoo to primusblowsgoat

That video was cool, almost made me think twice about running oval. LOL
primusblowsgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 05:10 PM   #1724
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
.................. For one thing, it's heavily banked meaning that turns aren't as strong as if the place was flat (say at HotRod's - not sure if he's still running oval). ...........

sure is.. oval race this sunday ;-)
RCMits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 06:04 PM   #1725
Tech Elite

Well, just finished putting together my Pro Max 10 on road wide pan car from Powell Racing...like John Stranahan commented on TallyRC's Max 10, Doug Powell's kits are of exellent quality...shipping was fast and he was nice to deal with...thanks Doug for the great product and your support for 1/10 pan cars...keep up the good work

Last edited by yyhayyim; 08-05-2007 at 06:44 PM.