R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-13-2007, 11:21 PM   #1606
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stranahan View Post
I don't drive worth a darn at ground level.
not to pick on ya john, I wish many others recognized this as well and drove from the drivers stand as the tracks are designed to be driven from up there I don't know how many times this year i have seen some yahoo plow into the wall (ON AN OVAL no less) because they were adjusting the car at one end of the track and trying to run some laps.

between all the pan car talk lately and now some of my racing duties done for the year i can start thinking about getting my car back out to do some racing.
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 09:15 PM   #1607
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
yyhayim-I took a look through those parts. Some things that might help your car are the bronze pivot balls. They look like they might be teflon coated as well. RC4less has these as well. That front end really needs to move very freely to work well. If you don't have a clamp on left hub, you should get one of these as well. The Niftech ones look fine as do the IRS hubs. (And then you should make your car wide.) this will keep your tires hooked up longer as will a little more practice with the narrow car. Throttle control is the key. Do not spin the tires accelerating and wear off the treated layer of foam. I am keeping full grip for 8 minutes these days with a 3.5R motor. I was not in the beginning
John- I do have double clamp style left hub. I think its from IRS and its very nice. I am testing my new Serpent 200mm Lola body. Its a beatiful thing. I'l berunning my trusty Mamba max ESC and Orion 10.5BL motor and 4800 Lipo. I'm currently using a 100T 64P Spur, and 28 Pinion. It will probably be 2 slow for now. Unfortunately I cant find my notes on when I ran my Pantoura last year- I had some good set up info, roll out, ratios, etc...now I have to start from scratch, and it feels like new to me...but I'll get the feel back soon. Last year I ran it with Mamba Max and Trinity N60 motor...WOW. The best combo I have ever had. This time I'll be trying out a 10.5 BL motor and see what it can do...

However, one thing I am finding anoying is the top deck design of the Pantoura. I am running Orion 4800mah batteries and I am having some trouble putting that top deck over the rear brace instead of the supposed, under...its anoying. I going to have to dremmel about 3mm of the rear of that top deck and then CA glue it to the top of the rear brace...or maybe use some double sided tape to stick it down. If it doesnt work, I'll have to settle for an Orion 3200 mah pack, and not have to CA glue anything.

I dont remember how I set up the side springs...but I'll keep everything in the middle of the road and work from there. Samething with the front springs. I really hate that AE front suspension. Its old, and its a shame pan cars still run them. Someone better do something about this soon. There has to be better options. But that's what I have and i'll make the best of it. The track is 150X70. And is clean, smooth hot weather outdoor asphalt.
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 09:33 PM   #1608
Tech Elite

How are the RC4LESS 1/10 oval tires? How do they compare to the Jaco's? I am about to put an order for some tires and would like to know what you recommend for out asphalt...I used to order from stormer- I belive they wear Jaco Pink rear and front purples. But maybe ther something better
Old 07-14-2007, 10:48 PM   #1609
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan

RC4less had on-road tires on orange wheels. They are the equivalent of GRP tires from Tower. Both work very well. Get purple fronts and pink rears. Get Corally Jack the Gripper from stormer or Corally and treat the tires and let it soak in while it is off the track or 20 minutes. I tried many treatment methods. This was the best for on-road asphalt. Don't skimp and use another brand.

I found the Jaco pinks to be a little on the slick side in pink compared to a GRP pink. I got better traction with the GRP and RCfor less tires on asphalt.

On the Pantoura, I think I would try raising up the crossbrace to the height of the tall LiPo with spacers and longer screws. Then things might fit better. The side dampers won't know the difference as long as the pod can still move freely. Raise the front of the strap the same distance.

We might have a speed run tomorrow weather permitting.
John

Last edited by John Stranahan; 08-06-2007 at 11:37 AM.
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 11:47 PM   #1610
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Darkside, you have per. message

Murnan Modified Motors

Mugen MRx4

Rocket Science Fuels

Auto Racing, Mountain climbing, and Bull fighting are the only true sports, all the rest are just games.
theRED5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 12:05 AM   #1611
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
...I tried many treatment methods. This was the best for on-road asphalt. Don't skimp and use another brand....
Even paragon? Or, dare I say it, stick-et?
Old 07-15-2007, 08:32 AM   #1612
Tech Elite

I tried old and new Paragon Traction Action. Neither one helped the foam. I tried these in combination with Suntan lotion on top. It was OK but not as good as plain non smelly Jack the Gripper. I also tried TQ Mod. I did not try stick et and did not find several other compounds at the larger stores. I was happy with Jack the Gripper.

The traction Action by Paragon worked well on my rubber touring car tires outside.
John
Old 07-15-2007, 08:58 AM   #1613
Tech Elite

What would I need to make my Pantoura into a "wide" pan car...it seems it just needs the wider rear axle, and some kind of front extentions to widen the front end...I'm sure there's more parts, though...
Old 07-15-2007, 10:19 AM   #1614
Tech Elite

That information along with pictures are in the thread. Two ways. Like you said with a wide right hand hub and spacers on the left. Or with a Powell wide Pantoura chassis. E-mail him for availability.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:20 PM   #1615
Tech Elite

Nick and I got in a short speed run in between rain showers today. We had only half the course available due to water on the parking lot. All I can say that is good is that the stand alone radar worked pretty well. It allowed Nick to shoot more video clips. My car with the high speed body (basically a short rear wing and belly pan) achieved the exact same speed as before geared 5 teeth over normal (17 tooth)with the Novak 3.5 R. 53 mph. What a coincidence. Previously it reached the same speed with a 12 tooth pinion which is how I gear it for the track. I did not really achieve full throttle until about 25 feet past the radar. At this point my car would still fly. The belly pan had not worked. Our braking distance was too short. Our traction was hindered by dirt on the track. It had not rained enought to wash it clean. I made a few more runs with 15 and 14 tooth pinions. Speed at the radar was not improved but flight distance beyond the radar increased markedly. I almost nailed Nicks car at Waist level. We moved the car. It was protecting the radar from ignorant passers by that did not know we had reserved the parking lot for speed duty.
For the last run I installed the slot car like front spoiler/wing we discussed previously. It seemed to work, but then I slid into a puddle while braking and ended the session to dry out.
So why no improvement. I think I lost rear traction by lowering the wing, so that in the distance we had available, I could accelerate to no faster a speed than before. We needed more Radio range and more asphalt.

Nicks car was slightly rearanged from before. It turns out that it steers a lot straighter and has a lot more straight line stability if run backwards. Who would have thought such a thing. That is the way he ran it today. Motor breaking the air and leading the way. Speeds were increased about 33% from before. Stability was much improved. Only one tense incident. And one puddle which he recovered from after drying a bit. He will probably post a clip and his thoughts on his web page. Or maybe it is more stalbe because there were huge twin vertical stabilizers on the back. We noticed the car would pivot right into the wind while on the car stand. This is good for rocket stability as well. Center of Aerodynamic pressure aft of the center of mass.

We are thinking of installing front winglets like the last Toyota Eagle MKIII GTP body that was made.
John

Last edited by John Stranahan; 07-15-2007 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:39 PM   #1616
Tech Elite

Quote:
We needed more Radio range and more asphalt
THe Nomadio REACT radio has 300 meter range and can work with Spektrum and Airtronics DSS receivers. Maybe its something to look into...that's more than anough range, I think.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:50 PM   #1617
Tech Elite

Heck my radio with a Spektrum module and receiver is supposed to have a 3000 ft (914 meter) range. It does not. You don't know the range until you actually test it with the car on the ground. My range was about 100 yards today with the pro receivers short antenna. The receivers failsafe to brake worked well. The car would sit there then, possibly, when interference improved, it might start working again. The radio is about 10 feet up; we are on the bed of a tall pickup. There is plenty of RF noise in Houston.

Last edited by John Stranahan; 07-15-2007 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:23 PM   #1618
Tech Elite

Quote:
Heck my radio with a Spektrum module and receiver is supposed to have a 3000 ft (914 meter) range. It does not. You don't know the range until you actually test it with the car on the ground. My range was about 100 yards today with the pro receivers short antenna. The receivers failsafe to brake worked well. The car would sit there then, possibly, when interference improved, it might start working again. The radio is about 10 feet up; we are on the bed of a tall pickup. There is plenty of RF noise in Houston.
I had the same pblm with my Spektrum...switched to Futaba FAST module and receiver and it has been working nicely so far...I have gone twice as far(688FT) as my longest working distance with Spetrum (340FT)...Its more than what I need, though.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:22 PM   #1619
Tech Elite

Has anyone tried out converting an 1/10 oval pan car kit, like the KSG pro 3, and make into a road course pan car? It seems they only need a bottom chassis, and rear pod lower plate...I'm sure there'se a few more things. Those kits are so much more up to date than what's available for road course pan cars it might be worth a shot trying to convert them.

Also, has anyone tested the Darkside I-Force, yet? What about the Corally C10X? I really like corally c10X car, but the I-Force seems more pro level racer, and has easier to find parts- they are also more common and interchangable/compatitble with what other similar cars run...
Old 07-16-2007, 07:58 PM   #1620
Tech Elite

There is an oval conversion to road car that I started on the previous page with pics. RC10L2O to wide pan car.
John