R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-30-2007, 11:23 PM   #1561
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan

Those sorry dogs! They shipped you mine!!. Its been backordered for a month. Well I did ask for the 3.5 motor with it.
John

Note there are some interesting developments on the previous page. Jim Ottoman is now a listed sponsor for me. He is donating a near new RC10L2 for the Testing project of T-plate vs 3- link vs center pivot link car. TallyRC is loaning me a near new PRC Max 10 which is a recent T-plate chassis with L3T parts. Thanks guys it should be a very interesting test. Note I will not need a 10L then.
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 06:30 AM   #1562
Tech Regular

John, are you going to leave the stock disc damper in place on the L2? How about 6c nimh batts? Just asking because that's how mine is going to be set up. I'm still waiting to get tires, speed control and a motor. Not to mention a nice parking lot to test on. Don
DLS II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:38 AM   #1563
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

just for reference, i did indeed have an rc10L3T, but still needed a complete wide axle and hub setup as the 3T used a 12th scale axle.. too narrow..

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 08:22 AM   #1564
Tech Regular

John,

I need to alert you on the spektrum receiver. Just when i thought I had the failsafe brake in my spektrum receiver and it solved my problem, I was wrong. My car which was fitted with X11 4.5 went full acceleration when I accelerated hard out of corner. My rear axle broke into two and I really dont know where else to get the replacement.

The thing is, when it first happened last year, my pan car that went self destruct was fitted with Novak 3.5 motor and it was far away from the control tower. My conclusion during that time was that the long straight line lowered the voltage and the receiver went haywire.

About few hours ago, it was not on a long straight. My car was accelerating about few meters from a sharp corner and it mysteriously went full throttle.

Here's something that I'm gonna do, I'm gonna replace the old spektrum receiver with a pro receiver. I will also try to install a tiny lipo back to my receiver to maintain enough voltage even when the main battery voltage is so low. Hope that this will work.
azmio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 08:35 AM   #1565
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Can't you guys test your ESC+RX failsafe in the pits, on a car stand, by switching off the TX?

<-- again, not impressed by Spektrum.
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
adamge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:41 AM   #1566
Tech Elite

FailSafe and Antenna Routing on Spektrum

I do test my receiver on a stand in the pits by throttling up and turning the radio off. This is one of the first tests we did on Nicks high speed car as it is very powerful. His did fail safe by going to neutral. It was easy to test his radio range as the car would just sit there. At the time mine was a different story. It would take off and turn left hitting the curb when you set it down out of range. It has less range on the road than in your hand. Now it is fixed. Now my spektrum passes this radio off test in the pits. I can turn the transmitter off up in the drivers stand like before and the car will just sit still in the pit lane. I would expect that Azmios receiver may have an internal problem. I will just note here that it is possible to route the antenna wire incorrectly inside the receiver when you have a top exit of the wire. The wire has to go under the PCB board. I would send that receiver back for testing as you have it programmed properly.
After I learned how to program in the failsafe, I am still very impressed with Spektrum. Saves a lot of grief when multiple people are using the track. Futaba does have a similar but non compatible system on some of their new radios. Spektrum searches for an open channel and hangs on to it. Futaba hops from channel to open channel continuously.

GTB with Spektrum
This might be a good time to repeat this information here. The GTB speed control is detuned from optimum somewhat to keep from creating radio interferance with non spektrum type of receivers. The rate at which the transistors turn on (and off) is slowed on purpose. In the Spectrum model of the GTB the transistors turn on at optimum speed as radio interference is not a problem. This reduces speed control temperatures and makes the Speed control more efficient. For this reason the GTB with Spektrum will not work with the older crystal type receivers. I do not have one of these newer GTB's with Spektrum. No drivability differences will be noted with the new Spektrum GTB just possibly a little lower temps and slightly more runtime.

Batts for the L2
I am going to have to study the two cars a bit before I decide on the type of battery I can run. I would like to run a 2s LiPo in both. I will do some work with the corner weight scales. I may convert the L2 eventually to a three shock setup and wide rear axle if it is 220 wide at the back. I have to measure it first to see what the front is.
John

Last edited by John Stranahan; 07-01-2007 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:00 PM   #1567
Tech Champion

With Spektrum another place to watch out for misrouted antennas is in the module. I had problems with mine for awhile that drove me nuts. Eventually I figured out my antenna internally on the module had been misrouted. Now the only issue I have is when running 4 cell 1/12th.

As for the Spektrum version of the GTB...my understanding from Novak in their thread on another site was that the drive frequency was unaltered...it is the internal clock speed that was optimized for 2.4ghz use.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 03:14 PM   #1568
Tech Elite

I agree. The drive frequency is unaltered. The square wave that is produced is more square now that the transistors can turn off then on at full speed, without adding any new peaks. The time from full off to full on is what is shortened. The time between ons is unaltered.

Last edited by John Stranahan; 07-01-2007 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:42 AM   #1569

Pictures of last weekend's race:
http://tbh.invisio.nl/index.php?opti...d=36&Itemid=33
Pro ten Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:11 PM   #1570
Tech Elite

pro ten, you have got to get some video of those races.. looks like fun..

Old 07-02-2007, 03:28 PM   #1571
Tech Elite

• Mathijs-There is a pic on the starting line of what looks like a McAllister Toyota GT1 with separate wing. Is that what I am looking at. I have been wanting to test one of these. The wing looks to be inverted so maybe its a different body.
  • How did the new chassis work. Did you get to run it?
  • Thanks for the pics.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:37 PM   #1572
Tech Elite

this one?

Old 07-02-2007, 04:00 PM   #1573
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)
Default Checking in...

John,

All your tests are looking good. I am impressed with your windtunnel setup. Very ingenious. Your results are very close to mine.

I was able to bring my high speed car with me on my 2 week vacation (I'm getting married July 6th in Chicago). If time permits, I might get to bring it over to Matt Shumaker's place and see whats wrong with my speed control. I'll also get to checkout some of his crazy fast cars in person.

Nic Case posted a video, finally, of his 3 high speed cars. He wants everyone to guess how fast he is going. The link is here:

http://fastrc.blogspot.com/2007/07/v...ases-cars.html

-Nick
Old 07-02-2007, 10:35 PM   #1574

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallyrc View Post
this one?
That's a Protoform 200mm Porsche. It's discontinued.

I ran my new car. It worked excellent. Great steering, it had little signs of rubbing off any speed during corner entry.
To be honest, it was a little too fast for me. I really need to practice with the new car more. The track was very slippery, and there was only a very narrow line with good traction.
The car was soo stupid fast that I overshot most corners, costing me precious time.
The few laps I manged to keep the ideal line, I was the fastest of the entire field.
I still took a decent 7th place, which I'm really pleased with.

I'm going to practice "slow is fast" more now.
Pro ten Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:43 PM   #1575
Tech Elite

Mathijs-Thanks for the report.
Nick- thanks.
PRC Max 10

I have TallyRC's PRC Max 10 in hand now. Thanks Tally. I inspected the chassis carefully for fit and finish. I found that there are two notches milled into the edge of the frame. One at the back on the lower pod plate and one in the center of the back of the front's triangle cutout. Both of these are perfectly centered on the car. They are setup aids. I used them with my Integy setup board to check the rear axle spacing. It was good and evenly spaced with a 232 mm width. I used the front setup mark to determine the chassis was nice and square to the rear axle. Nice. Fit and finish was excellent.

I did a prerace check on the front suspension. I put in Associated right angled upper hinge pins which are a tight fit to this style of upper suspension arm mount and should prevent the pin walking out on our track. I used teflon spacers to reduce any side loads on the upper arm that would prevent its free movement. Two of the plastic balls were tight in the suspesion, upper right and lower left. I replaced these with teflon coated aluminum suspesion balls which freed things up. The front suspesion does have long king pins and Wind Tunnel Racing (MurdochRC) progressive white cone spring at present. Motion was good and free.
I mounted the servo saver with ballstuds toward the back to have the tierods more perpendicular to the car. I may have to change the yellow ball cups as they caused interference at the servo and now at the wheel. The Losi XXXT truck ballcups are what I prefer. I am out of stock at present.

I installed a Hitec 5996 TG servo on the stock plastic Associated RC10L4 mounts. This servo survived my big crash except for the ears. When I bought it, I made sure cases were available. They were and they were easy to install. Those titanium gears inside are really wide and rugged. You should never strip a gear on one of these puppies. In addition titanium is quite a bit harder than brass. They use it on some knife blades. It should wear very well.

The car is fitted with inline axles and the steering balls all the way back on the arm. A light center spring can be used as the T-plate also assists in this regard.

More to come.

Planned electronics.
Novak GTB 3.5
Spektrum receiver
Transponder module

These three items weigh 4.5 ounces. If mounted on the right side combined with the offset servo they will almost balance out a LIPO which weighs 7 ounces on the left side. I also can mount a lipo sideways in the back if I elevate it above the T-plate with some spacers. The scale will tell the tell in a couple of hours.

Rear axle spun nicely. I will change the two axle bearings for my test so I don't tear up Tallys.

The car is a wide pan car. It is constructed of a PRC graphite plate kit and then fitted out with RC10 L3T front end and bits and has an aftermarket wide rear axle and hubs.

The second pic is bigger so that you can scroll around and view it closeup.
Attached Thumbnails
Pantoura, 1/10 Pan Car, 2S LiPo, Brushless, Tips and Tricks.-prc-max-10-resized.jpg   Pantoura, 1/10 Pan Car, 2S LiPo, Brushless, Tips and Tricks.-prc-max-10.jpg  

Last edited by John Stranahan; 07-08-2007 at 05:54 PM.