R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-23-2007, 09:02 PM   #1486
Tech Regular

I must be missing something- ROAR rules state that brushless motos must be Y winds. Yet Novaks are 1/2 winds and Trinitys are not ? OK I guess there's more than one way to skin a cat!!!Don
DLS II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:09 PM   #1487
Tech Regular

John,

My wide pan car suffered the same fate when I was running it with GTB and 3.5 motor. We have two very long straight one after another. At the end of the straight line, it was about 80 meters from the control tower and that's where my ESC decided to go full throttle although my transmitter was at full brake. My pan car suffered badly and it went in hiding for few months until i decided to rebuild it.

I asked around and my friends recommended me to program my spektrum. It is recommended to program the spektrum to full brake whenever there is no signal.
azmio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:13 PM   #1488
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan

Both trinity and Novak claim to be roar legal. Now I will tell you that I will not have another coreless (stackless, slotless) motor. I still own this Trinity. They give up a lot of efficiency by not having the induction multiplication of that core. This overheats the batteries and costs runtime. They are much cheaper to make. Should be about 5 bucks instead of 60 for these machine produced coreless motors.

Azmio- I feel your pain! How do you program the Spektrum. My earlier GTB's used to be neutral without signal. I would actually shut the radio off in the drivers stand to save my M8 batteries. Now the newer GTB's it's full throttle. This is maddening as it always goes full throttle before it finds the radio signal when you turn the car on. The new GTB behaves the same with the older Spektrum that I used to shut the Radio off first. Full throttle.

My car is rebuilt already.
John

Last edited by John Stranahan; 06-23-2007 at 09:27 PM.
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:14 PM   #1489
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

DLS, I wouldn't put any weight in anything Castle guys say. They have a long and consistent habit of not following through.
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
adamge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:27 PM   #1490
Tech Regular

Did you see the same post I did? It indicated that their motors had been submitted for ROAR approval. I sure wish they would get that software revision done so they will run Novak motors. Don
Old 06-23-2007, 09:31 PM   #1491
Tech Regular

Default Mamba max with 5700 motor

Guys,

Here is a report of my HPI 10g wide pan car with Mamba max and 5700 motor. After some trial and error, I decided to program my brake to 30% and drag brake to 20%, Brake curve is also modified to ease the initial bite. With this set up, I managed to brake hard without losing my rear end. I may want to increase the total brake to 35% but not 40% because at 40% my rear end became lose after hard braking.

Gearing was set at 90/16. Battery was a team orion platinum. I was shocked to find out that the car had plenty of punches coming out of corner even though my foam donut was still thick. Top speed was still good and the car still wanted to go faster when it almost reached the end of the straight.

I have tried, Novak, LRP BL motors but the 5700 really suit my liking. I always ran out of spur and pinion for the LRP and Novak. Once I found the right ones, either the spur or the pinion would worn out after few laps.

The start up is kinda funny because my car would go reverse and later move forward. With all the pluses, this problem is not a problem to me because I dont really race.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:42 PM   #1492
Tech Regular

John,

You have rebind your set again. During the process of binding, make sure you pull your brake. If you pull halfway, you will have half brake when you shut off your transmitter. I think the steps are mentioned in the manual but somehow I overlooked it because I thought it was not important.

Give it a try cause wide pan cars are hard to find anywhere around the world. If compared to the pain for losing a TC car, the pain of losing 1/10 pan car is at least few times the pain.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:46 PM   #1493
Tech Elite

Don- The Mamba will run the Novak motors right now. I saw no difference in the way the Mamba ran a Novak 3.5 a 4.5 and the Mamba 7700kv. All the benefits of the Mamba are there (higher resistance to heat) as well as the ideosyncrasies of the Mamba that make it a little harder to drive than a GTB. Don't wait just do it.
John

Azmio-Thanks a bunch. I will certainly try that. Thanks for the Mamba report.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:56 PM   #1494
Tech Regular

Coming from an expert like you John, I will. Thanks, Don
Old 06-23-2007, 09:58 PM   #1495
Tech Master

John, I should announce that I also discovered my first while-running stutter with the Mamba Max brushless system in my TC. This was after 8 months of not seeing one. The big change is that I just started running asphalt-rubber, whereas the 8 months were on carpet-foam. The stutter occurred at the end of the straight, when I would give a pulse of brake to slow down for the sweeper, then almost immediately apply a little gas to get back to even weight distribution for the sweeper. It did this repeatedly when I used this driving technique. I wonder if this is the same braking issue you are observing.
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
adamge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 10:22 PM   #1496
Tech Elite

Adam-yes. Same stutter. This reinforces my opinion that the more traction you have with the mamba, the less problems you will see of this type. Unfortunatley most of the time I am running with little traction and 2 wheel drive. I see every little flaw in the beast.
John

Last edited by John Stranahan; 06-24-2007 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:21 PM   #1497
Tech Elite

Fail Safe with a Spektrum
I was able to set my Spektrum and GTB to a better fail safe (brakes). I had to use an old Spektrum receiver though. You bind it with brakes applied. I used 70% brakes to avoid a sudden spin. Thanks Azmio.

I have the new tiny receiver which has no bind button. I do have the little wire loop plug that is used for binding. I never was able to bind it with the wire loop and have it fail safe. If you have the manual or the method for this little receiver please let us know the method. I get no green light with the little receiver, but I don't know if it ever had one. It seems to bind fine, but always binds with fail safe at full throttle. It is possible that it is broken internally.
John

Last edited by John Stranahan; 06-23-2007 at 11:33 PM.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:24 AM   #1498

With my motor centered in the rear pod I can now use short-shaft pinions.
This should preserve the motor bearing longer.
Pro ten Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 05:46 AM   #1499
V12
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stranahan View Post
So this is what I understand about Delta Winds. There are two solder points to each coil. In a delta wind, there is a Solder Ring on the pinion end of the motor. This joins one end of all the three coils together. The other connection is at the back of the motor one for each pair of coils. By its very nature, then, you end up with 1/2 winds like 3.5 or 4.5. You start a wind at the back and finish at the front of the motor, giving the extra half wind. I don't see how you would make a delta wind with 4.0 wraps. I have not seen this explained anywhere though. I have just seen the inside of several motors. The trinity 3 wind motor does not have this solder ring on the pinion end of the motor. It is a y wind as stated by Trinnity just below. Y just means that two coils start at one solder point and then y off into two coils. That is what I think it means. Coils start and terminate at the back of the motor. Definitely a different type of wind than the Novak. Delta just means the start and end of the coil are separated by some distance along the length of the motor.
John
John this is an error. You´re talking here not on delta but on star wind or wye wind what is the same. Also that solder connection (solder ring) of the one side of the coils could be on both sides of the motors so there are half winds and full winds possibe. 3.5T, 4T, 4.5T and so on.
Delta wound is the version where each side of the coil is connected to an other coil. If you are replacing Delta by Triangle you can easily see the configuration. For this reason Delta wind is possible with full winds only.
For performance you can´t compare the same number of windings on both configurations. Delta needs much higher windings for comparing, factor is 1.73.
V12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 08:15 AM   #1500

Here are some pictures of the finished chassis.
Now if I only could find a manufacturer that could build it in series.....

I'll track-test it this week.
I'll post the results.
Attached Thumbnails
Pantoura, 1/10 Pan Car, 2S LiPo, Brushless, Tips and Tricks.-2007-met-body-front.jpg   Pantoura, 1/10 Pan Car, 2S LiPo, Brushless, Tips and Tricks.-2007-front-view.jpg   Pantoura, 1/10 Pan Car, 2S LiPo, Brushless, Tips and Tricks.-2007-body-ernaast.jpg   Pantoura, 1/10 Pan Car, 2S LiPo, Brushless, Tips and Tricks.-2007-rear-view.jpg  
Pro ten Holland is offline   Reply With Quote