Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya Championship Series Races

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 12:15 AM
R/C Tech Founder

Default Tamiya Championship Series Races

Hey all,

I am going to be running a TCS race this year, and was wondering if anybody familiar with the series could answer some Qs for me.

My main question revolves around screws. The TCS rules state:

14. Lightweight screws that are made of aluminum or Titanium that are made by other manufactures are not allowed.
Since they specifically say that "lightweight" screws are illegal, does that mean that heavier screws, such as (stainless) steel screws would be legal? It leads me to believe that the answer is yes, except that the rules also say this:

12. Any modification not called out specifically in these rules is not legal.
I am not sure if that refers to chassis modifications or something like that, or if it refers to anything in general, such as screws. The whole reason I ask is because I absolutely detest phillips screws, and I would do anything to be able to use my hex drivers on these cars.

(Note that the complete rules can be found here: http://www.tamiyausa.com/events/tcs/rules.html)

That being said, what is generally the best chassis to run in the GT-2 class? It looks like the TAO4-R is the best way to go, since the rules for GT-2 seem to both allow and prohibit the TAO4-Pro chassis (they say that the TA04 is OK, but that carbon fiber plate-type chassis are disallowed).

I was originally going to run GT1 and F201, until I read that you are not allowed to run side-by-side battery packs in the F201 class. What a complete joke that is. I like the idea of the TCS races on the whole, but Tamiya has always come across as having some rather stupid rules for the series. So anyway, now I am left wanting to run a second class with no option other than GT2, so I guess that's where I go (see previous paragraph).

Enough rant from me. Any answers are appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-03-2003, 08:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Unhappy Just ran ours yesterday

Don't even think about changing screws out unless they are TAMIYA!The guys from tamiya are teching so completely and if you take their rules and try to find a loop hole,they will disqualify you.They were serious and some racersa got mad because of their teching but follow the rules the way they are stated and you should be fine.An example is I put orings in my outdrives for my front one way in my evo III and he asked if they were tamiya orings.I was like what the hell?Do I have to run tamiya battery tape too?Fortunately they were tamiya orings and they tech before every heat and if you are the winner of your class so trust me on that,don't try and twist the rules,or try and find loop holes in them because they will pull your car.
Old 02-03-2003, 08:11 AM
Tech Elite

Default by the way.

If your running gt2,then the R chassis seemed the fastest yesterday,but for gt3{540 motors} the short chassis tao4 was so fast I thought I am tempted to buy one for that class next year.They guy that that tqed the 540 gt3 was faster in 540 then most in gt2 .Noone could beleive how fast he was.He got his 540 humming thanks to some of the Mabuchi gurus.
Old 02-03-2003, 08:29 AM
Tech Master

yes everything needs to be Tamiya parts with exception to electronics, spur and pinions, and servo savers. I have a friend that won the F1 class a few years back and went to Japan for worlds, they made him replace the screw for his transponder mount because it wasn't a Tamiya screw.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:03 AM
Tech Master

Hey Racenut123 do you want those Tamiya shocks or what, did you get my emails or not, whats up?
Old 02-03-2003, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Tamiya is a 1 make series and they are just trying to keep the series from becoming a "part" of the week class. I have run TCS for 5 years and won Mini this year and have read the rules in out and backwards to find loopholes in various years and Fred has closed them as fast as someone opens them. I have heard complaints about the same in HPI's series where they are fairly open in the rules. If you want the hex drive screws go to the TI set and you have the lightweight and hex drive.
For chassis look at the 04R and get the short arm kit for it 04SS it shortens the wheelbase about 10mm and the car rotates very easily but is super stable. Sam hudson 2nd place at this years Nats ran one and was very fast with it he started running the car Thursday before Nats and might have given Joven alot harder time if he had known the car better. I think it will be the car at Nats this year.
And lastly the only reason you can't run the SXS packs on the F201 is you have to cut the chassis to fit and it falls under the no cutting rule for people trying to lighten the chassis.

Hope it helps,

Dan
Old 02-03-2003, 01:47 PM
R/C Tech Founder

Originally posted by Difuser
And lastly the only reason you can't run the SXS packs on the F201 is you have to cut the chassis to fit and it falls under the no cutting rule for people trying to lighten the chassis.
Yea, I understood the reasoning for it, but my point was that it's terrible reasoning. 90% of the people who race competitively are not using stick packs, and Tamiya is shooting itself (and us) in the foot by not allowing us to run anything but stick packs in that car. I know they lost 3 or 4 F201 sales to guys from our track alone who would have loved to run F201, but there's no way we're going to rebuild some of our packs into sticks just for one race.

Everybody else, thanks for the info. It's all about what I figured.

What was the turnout like for yesterday's race? Anybody have any left over Type A rubbers that they'd like to sell me?
Old 02-03-2003, 06:23 PM
Tech Elite

Default 80 people,120 entries .

Its was really nice.This race was Hobbytown Newarks first race ever.You would never have guessed it though by the way everything ran.People thought that the people running the show have been doing it for years but this was their inagural race.They just purchased the transponder system and track materials and jumped into the DEEP end of the pool.They got the race because the manager of the rc section knows Jimmy Jacobsen and so do most who ran there yesterday.Hobbytown Newark has a ton of a's still for sale.If you really need some and can't find them,give them a call.They won't be selling those tires for another year becausae they SUCK.By the way,they will be running TCS again next year.Tamiya usa was impressed with the turnout for sure.
Old 02-03-2003, 06:33 PM
Tech Regular

I had my car teched at TCS yesterday. I was using steel screws (not stainless) and they didn't seem to notice on my 414M either because they were also black or they didn't care. I think a few other 414M drivers were using stainless steel screws on their 414M's without any problems. I was also using a lexan transponder mount, it passed.
Old 02-03-2003, 07:38 PM
R/C Tech Founder

Any idea what the per-class breakdown was like?

I figure it will divide along the same lines at most of the TCS events. I want to race in one of the classes with a lot of people. More fun!
Old 02-03-2003, 09:15 PM
Tech Elite

2 heast of gt1 6 each heat
2 heats of f201 full grids each{most entrants}
1heat of Mini full grid
1 or 2 Heats of gt2
1 heats of tlo1 spec
1 or 2 heats of gt3 full grid

aura,your fortunate you didnt get caught...you will be made to comply @The championships,trust me.Ask all around here who participated in years past.