R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-25-2006, 02:33 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default 3racing comm lathe

has anybody here used the 3RACING COM LATHE W/ BALL BEARING BLOCK?
if so how would rate the product? does anyone have a brochure ir info booklet for it??

Futaba 3PKS with FASST

>>>Knowledge is Power<<<
RocketRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 03:38 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

if it is the same as the Eagle lathe (bearing block) then it is good, I use it with a 55turn motor, carbide tip and 12v supply, cuts good everytime. If your going to do LOTS of cutting, get the V Blocks.
DA_cookie_monst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 10:56 PM   #3
Tech Regular

what are the advantages/disadvantages of the V block and ball bearing guides??

Futaba 3PKS with FASST

>>>Knowledge is Power<<<
Old 08-25-2006, 11:05 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

v-blocks require lesser maintennance than bb's you dont have to clean out comm shavings that may find their way into the bb seals. also, i think they last longer and stay truer longer since there are no moving parts to wear out
marvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:05 PM   #5
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to rcnewb2004

I had a thread here about 3 years ago i htink asking about the same thing.. hehe I have a 3 racing comm lathe with v blocks and i must say its great!

bearings (as i understand, will freeze up later on.... because bits of the comm may get into the bearings and screw it all up)

So it is best to get the v-blocks instead.

becareful of shimming the 3racing lathe and also "some assembly" is required.... when I bought mine... so if u are no expert... this is not hte lathe for u
rcnewb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:09 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

V blocks also locate the armature more accurately.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 12:32 AM   #7
Tech Regular

@rcnewb2004 - what assembly is required? what else would i need to get i am decide to get the 3racing lathe?? i want to order the one that RC Mushroom has. what drive motor would you recommend? will a Johnson 540 do the trick??

Futaba 3PKS with FASST

>>>Knowledge is Power<<<

Last edited by RocketRacer; 08-26-2006 at 12:47 AM.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:15 AM   #8
Tech Master

I am currently driving the 3racing lathe with a silver can 540 (the one that comes stock w/ tamiya tl01). I use a variable power supply and do my lathing work at around 4.5 V (Others will tell u different)

You will not need to buy anything.... but back in my day (3 years ago... when 3 racing was a small smalll smalll company), it came with no instructions and I had to install the wiring for the switch myself....

You may also want ot buy an extra lathe bit (not those carbide ones)... when u learn how to use the lathe well then change into that one.

I bought mine for $80 canadian, a fantastic deal and it has not wrecked any of my arms (after practicing w/ a few old arms).
Old 08-26-2006, 03:21 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRacer
@rcnewb2004 - what assembly is required? what else would i need to get i am decide to get the 3racing lathe?? i want to order the one that RC Mushroom has. what drive motor would you recommend? will a Johnson 540 do the trick??
Usually means the V-blocks are not attached. You will probably have to mount those, space them correctly, and make sure they are aligned properly.

You definitely want v blocks over bearing, I have yet to see a major motor builder in the US that uses a bearing guide lathe.

The 55 turn lathe motors you see are design to run directly from a 12v source. You can use any motor to spin a lathe, include a basic 540j motor. In fact that's what comes with a Hudy lathe. The difference is you need a motor run source like a Pulsar 2 or a Much More Motor Master to spin the motor at a lower voltage (say 3.6v for example).
Anthony.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 04:45 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Good little simple lathe, use one myself.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 05:39 AM   #11
Tech Regular

thanks for the advice guys. i will go ahead and get this lathe. RCMushroom has it for $99. i think that is a good price.

so what spare bit do you suggest i get rcnewb2004?
besides the obvious, what is the difference between a left and right hand bit??
do you suggest any cutting fluid and comm drops? if so, which types?

Futaba 3PKS with FASST

>>>Knowledge is Power<<<

Last edited by RocketRacer; 08-26-2006 at 05:52 AM.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:42 AM   #12
Tech Master

Hi Rocket Racer,

Take a good look at the lathe you are about to buy... some lathes will cut from Right to left, some will cut from Left to right.

I suggest a carbide bit once you have learnt how to use the lathe effectively. If you are new at this... do not spend $100 on one just yet. Learn how to use the lathe effectively on old armatures if avaliable, otherwise watch the pros and learn from them, or even get them to use your lathe to demonstrate how to get a good cut on it.

I don't use cutting comm fluid, I do not think it is necessary for the amount of copper removed and the duration which the bit comes in contact with the comm.

I do recommend getting a sharpie pen, and a bunch of friends you can race with and beat!
Old 08-26-2006, 02:35 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Thanks Rcnewb...

i am currently racing at club level and doing pretty well. my LHS currently does my comm cutting, but i would rather start doing it myself.
i can't really take a good look at the lathe 'cos i am in South Africa and will be buying the lathe from RCMushroom. do you have any pics of your lathe? would you be able to post that? do you know where i could find an online manual for the 3racing comm lathe??

Futaba 3PKS with FASST

>>>Knowledge is Power<<<