Wiki Posts
Search

Battery setups and charging

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2001, 01:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Battery setups and charging

Hey everyone

I'm new to 'electrics' since I started initially with nitro cars so forgive me for my newbie-ness. Basically I have a Losi XXX-S,
Trinity Panasonic 3000 NiMHs in side by side configuration, novak
TC2, novak xxxtra synthesized, and reedy mvp. The Panasonics are my only battery pack (FOR NOW). I'm gonna solder everything
accordingly, etc. etc. Now when it comes to charging, must I de-solder the battery from the ESC and motor when it's time to re-charge? If so, is there an easier way to do this every single time?
Also, when I get new batt packs, I want to also get some stick packs for easy running and charging. Since I have one side by side now that requires soldering, how can I configure the setup so that I can also use the stick packs with the Tamiya style connectors when I want to change battery types? Or should I just stick to side by sides all the time. Maybe I should use bullet-type connectors so connecting the batteries won't require constant soldering. But then again there's that awful problem of resistance and decreased efficiency.. yikes.. too many things to factor in. Any thoughts or comments are much appreciated!

Oh by the way I'm using the Intellipeak Digital Pulse charger. It has alligator style clips for charging soldered packs and also a Tamiya style connector for charging sticks.
Old 10-11-2001, 01:22 PM
Tech Elite

I would definately go for saddle packs all the way. Because then you can use an equalizer, which gives both better battery performance (=speed) AND improves your battery lifetime. This advantage will greatly overrule the powerloss in some good quality connectors.

Somewhere I've read that the resistance in good connectors is about 0,0001 ohm (if I remember correct). Ohms law: U=R*I (Volt=Resistance*Ampere). According to Tekins homepage, an motor in a RC car maximum draw 120 amps. In other words, the voltage loss in a good connector, is as low as 0,01 volt. Matbe the world champions can feel the difference, but I don't believe that normal people can feel the difference.

Get extra batteries soon. Reduce waiting time and it hurt the batteries a lot, if charged while still hot. Especially NiMh.
Old 10-11-2001, 08:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

get side by side packs so you can use a battery equalizer. also, it will sit lower in the chassis for a slightly lower center of gravity. i use corally type connectors because i dont need long battery wires for each battery pack, just the wires from the esc to each battery terminal.
Old 10-11-2001, 08:33 PM
zxt
Tech Regular

Default equalizer?

what is that? Also why saddle is better than sticks?
Old 10-11-2001, 08:39 PM
TFR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Saddle is better than stick because i think is that stick pack, all the batteries are in different voltage and cant not be discharge to the same amount for all six cell, but for saddle or side by side., you could discharge each one...

damn, all the nice equipment, how do u like your XXX-S?
Old 10-11-2001, 08:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

equalizer: a discharge tray (such as trinity real time 2) that discharges each cell individually. you can only equalize side by side or saddle packs because theyre the only configuration where the + and - terminals are exposed to be discharged individually.
Old 10-12-2001, 12:17 AM
Tech Elite

Default Ouch, forgot one thing...

I only use NiCd's. I don't got experience on equalizing NiMh's. NiMh are more sensitive to the way they are treated. Hopefully some NiMh-guys will comment on this.
Old 10-12-2001, 08:58 PM
zxt
Tech Regular

Default Thanks

now I know....
Old 10-13-2001, 05:55 AM
Tech Master

Default Storing Stick type nicads

Hi!
What's the proper procedure to be performed on stick type nicads before I put 'em into storage for a few months?
Old 10-13-2001, 06:31 AM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I would discharge them on a bulb discharge w/ a cutoff device ( or unplug the cells when the bulbs are about to go out, to prevent cell reversal). then just let them sit. You cant throw them on an equalization tray, so its about all you can do.
Old 10-13-2001, 06:36 AM
Tech Master

thank you! I have already discharged 'em with those cut off devices.... so guess I'll just put 'em away!

Thanks.
Old 10-13-2001, 06:53 AM
RCTech Member #2

No problem.. With stick packs, thats the problem, is you can't do anything past putting them on a discharger. You can't put them on an equalization tray like you can with side by side packs.
Old 10-13-2001, 06:54 AM
Tech Master

Is there a thread somewhere on storing NiMH Sanyo 3ks? I forgot all about storing 'em since rct went down...
Old 10-13-2001, 07:01 AM
RCTech Member #2

Battery info

take a look there.... it has some info, but might be more for the SMH 3k's
Old 10-13-2001, 07:09 AM
Tech Master

thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.