R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-29-2003, 05:08 PM   #16
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

By the way, I've owned a TC3, a Schumacher Mission, and now the XXX-S G+. I like the losi much better hands down.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 06:12 PM   #17
Tech Apprentice

The only problem im having is i really can't justify spednding 300 on a kit because im not really even gonna race it "all the time" i will be racing with my friends most of the time, and theres a big parking lot next to my house that me and my brother will race on along with our big driveway.

I have been thinking about it lately and i will only take it to the track maybe twice a month or so, but i want something competitive and good as it will see alot of use. Not for "bashing" tho, ill race it just maybe not organized racing all the time. Also i don't want an RTR, i have experience in RC just not 1/10 on-road I dont like not building my cars,its just a thing i have i guess, lol.

My cousins have MR4-tc and they love theirs and i saw that the link provided had an MR4-tc special edition for 150$. That sounds awful cheap because i know that thats a great car, but I know they made alot of different variations of them. If anyone has any info or links on other yokomo cars that would be nice as i would like to do some research on them. Thanks!
rcracer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 06:21 PM   #18
Tech Regular

Of course the xxx-s G+ i made a mistake of buying the LOs i kit (Stock) 1 day before my local rc shop had gotten there shipment of xxx-s G+'s! It was too late to return because i had already start building. If you don't want to spend 250.00 and don't really need a competion car, i suggest the LOsi xxx-s (stock) that i got from Ulitmate Hobbies! only 124.95 ! save you a whole bunch. Here's there site www.ultimatehobbies.com the info about the 124.95 losi may not be on there but give them a call and ask. I'm sure that they still have it for that price.!
NeO-pRo-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 07:06 PM   #19
Tech Apprentice

Thats a good price, i might fall back and either get the tc3 or xxx-s non graphite. But i just want to look into Yokomo's because i know 2 people who have them and love them. I also have used them before and they are very nice. I can't find any on-line shops which sell them does anyone know one?
Old 01-29-2003, 07:17 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to ijnek

yokomo coming out with a new version of the mr4tc special...
check www.speedtechrc.com or www.hobbymania.com.hk
ijnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 07:34 PM   #21
Tech Apprentice

where can you buy the custom i hear its tough as nails and very upgradable which is exactly what im looking for. it goes for about 129.00 i think
Old 01-29-2003, 07:38 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

There is a reason why Yokomos have gotten termed the name "Brokomo" at my local track. When they break, there's no parts. The regular xxx-s would be much better than a yokomo, but the graphite plus saves you a TON of money compared with buying all the graphite and threaded shocks, titanium turns and shock shafts for the regular kit. If you can spend $270, the graphite plus is more than worth it.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 07:43 PM   #23
Tech Apprentice

i know that but what im saying is ill never race more than stock class and use a mod motor when racing with friends. I don't need to spend 250+ on a kit, i just want to find a good one for like 150.
Old 01-29-2003, 08:26 PM   #24
TFR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Thats not what you wrote on your topic!!

Why not look into a USED vehicle, can get a top of the line from anywhere between $150-$250 I believe...

If you want to build the car, you can just buy a used car and take out all the parts and build it again since you have to clean it anyway...!
TFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 11:56 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

i hear ya on the 150 part. imho, i think used is the way to go. for me, unless it's my carpet machine that won't get scratched, i'll save some money by letting someone else scratch it for me. and like you, i too need to build it myself. so i end up with the car in pieces hours after it arrives. if you insist on going new, then

- tc3 racer w/ rpm front bumper upgrade.
- xxx-s standard (if it's really avail for $129)
- or that yok if it's cheap. heck, you could get another one used just for back up parts if your lhs doesn't stock them. you'd still be under $250 total.

good luck. making the decision on a new car is a good time. have fun.
Old 01-30-2003, 04:29 AM   #26
Tech Fanatic

The December 2002 edition of RC Car Action has a head to head between the factory TC3 and the Losi XXX-S....
You have to laugh though.... in the opening paragraph it says "we set out to find which one is really better".
In the final paragraph titled "Who Wins" as usual the result is inconclusive and no car is labeled the "winner" Instead reasons why both cars make a good choice are given...
I just wish for once a mag could tell it how it really is instead of declaring everyone the winner.. What have the manufacturers got to fear if all their products are going to get the thumbs up!!

Any way you might want to check it out if these are the two cars you are considering...

Steevo
Steevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 11:48 AM   #27
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

simple...the car that's sealed! otherwise you will be going through spur gears like no ones business! anytime I have taken my car out i've gotten a teenee rock caught on the spur and its messed it all up.
Aluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 01:02 PM   #28
CGR
Tech Regular

Quote:
I just wish for once a mag could tell it how it really is instead of declaring everyone the winner.. What have the manufacturers got to fear if all their products are going to get the thumbs up!!
The manufacturers have nothing to fear but the magazine has to fear the massive amounts of lost ad revenue is they give a car or product a bad review.
CGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 01:03 PM   #29
CGR
Tech Regular

I bought a FT TC3 about 6 weeks ago and love it. Handles great and goes fast.

I was torn between the XXXS G+ anf the FT but in the end I liked the idea of a shaft driven car better.

Bottom line is both cars can win as well as lots of others. Just make sure you can buy parts locally for whichever you choose.
CGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 02:17 PM   #30
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hey, maybe consumer reports should do a special on touring cars and offroad R/C vehicles... they wont lose revenues or ads

plus the rest of us will probably be better informed.
Aluma is offline   Reply With Quote