R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-15-2006, 02:09 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Road Rail RC Car racing system

any one have any experince with these? Road Rail RC Racing system It seems quite expensive for an individual, but not so much for say a club. I just wondered if anyone had used them and are they worth a damn. I would also be willing to hear suggestions on other forms of track barriers I could use and would be semi portable.

I want something that would look halfway professional that I could setup for demos and other indoor and outdoor events.
ev0l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 02:16 PM   #2
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jaysimpson

Our club bought the Road Rails system a couple of years ago and we love them. I do not recommend them for outer barriers though. We use 4 inch PVC pipe for our outside barrier.
A-Train Racing
Warehouse Raceway
jaysimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 02:19 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Default il

Quote:
Originally Posted by ev0l
any one have any experince with these? Road Rail RC Racing system It seems quite expensive for an individual, but not so much for say a club. I just wondered if anyone had used them and are they worth a damn. I would also be willing to hear suggestions on other forms of track barriers I could use and would be semi portable.

I want something that would look halfway professional that I could setup for demos and other indoor and outdoor events.
Unless you have a good group of drivers that do not hit much, road rail will cause you more greef than anything, dont get me wrong, laid down it looks damn good, but it offers no stoppage for anything that hits it, you wont break much hitting it but it serves as a ramp and it wont stop you from crossing into other lanes on your track.....i dont mean to talk down about the product but that is my experience. I just wouldent reccomend it for novice drivers...thats all....

Last edited by santinuchi; 08-15-2006 at 02:22 PM. Reason: wording
santinuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 02:25 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jaysimpson

I agree to some extent.....we have had the largest number of "novice" drivers this past year and it only took a few races for them to realize that if they "hit" them they wouldn't break but it would break them and someone else when they hit head on and I honestly think it made them better drivers. For the ease of setup and transport it is the only way to go. If you have a permanent place to layout a track then use pipe instead to corral the cars.
A-Train Racing
Warehouse Raceway
jaysimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 02:49 PM   #5
Tech Addict

I have used the RR dots and I found them to be excellent for those wanting to have a simple layout for a neighborhood throw down. The rails I cannot speak for.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 02:50 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Jam-ehz

We've had a couple of TCS races with Road Rails, with mixed results.. sure, clipping a corner doesn't break your front arm, it'll just flip you over.. however, I ended up glitching at full speed, careening over a rail, and right into oncoming traffic on the straightaway.. plowed some poor schmuck into the wall (we used 2x4's in front of the stands), my TA05 survived without a problem (a tank, I tell ya.. ), unlike his car..

At the end of the straightaway there was a wide 90-degree turn to continue on full speed until the U-turn.. 19T and Nitro cars were just launching themselves at the the crowds, vehicles, and pit tables if they turned a wee bit too late (kinda dusty parking lot), and pretty well all of them ended up on their roofs during the whole slide.. I'd advise keeping the outer perimeter hard boards, and just the inner track this rails.

Also, with nitro cars, we've had a few dislodgings or displacements of rails and corner dots when rubbed or hit, scrambling to put it all back for the next car coming..
Old 08-15-2006, 04:23 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

If you plan on using these for racing then prepare for alot of [email protected] and moaning.
Any car that hits these rails will go over into other lanes and most flip and barrel roll.
Rubber tires are not bad but be ready to ruin foams as you will chunk tires left and right.
They used to use these at maximus and cumberland rc speedway. Despised by all.
If you are looking for some. Ray and Robins Hobby center has a ton of these and will probably let them go for a good price.
sharkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 03:05 AM   #8
Tech Regular

Exclamation

Hi all i've run on the road rail system a few times now and aswell as the already mentioned crossing over into on coming traffic the diffrent sections are locked together using little plastic studs which tend to pop out after a while and can easily get your car air bourne if you drive over 1.
Boosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:13 AM   #9
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BSchorr Send a message via Yahoo to BSchorr Send a message via Skype™ to BSchorr

I personally HATE the Road rails.

Pros...
1. Easy to setup
2. Durable to impact

CONS!!!...
1. Chunks tires very badly
2. Acts as a jumping ramp for the un-experienced
3. People can hit you head-on more often

We use 4 inch square pvc pipe with velcro undernieth to stick to the track. we also made up some 3.75 square wooded blocks to meet 2 peices of PVC Pipe together and then there is a hole on the end of each PVC pipe for a screw, then screw it down into the blocks to connec thte two peices of pvc pipe.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:42 PM   #10
Tech Initiate

Hey Ben,

What track do you run at? Got any pictures of those square PVC pipes?

Later,
Gary
gwbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 02:42 PM   #11
Tech Regular

All I have to say is stock up on tires. I mean A LOT of tires. 1/10 or 1/12. Doesn't matter. They will tear 'em up!
Stampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 02:44 PM   #12
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BSchorr Send a message via Yahoo to BSchorr Send a message via Skype™ to BSchorr

http://img477.imageshack.us/img477/5979/dsc01751gb8.jpg

http://img477.imageshack.us/img477/318/dsc01771hf5.jpg

http://img477.imageshack.us/img477/5514/dsc01752tg4.jpg
Old 08-16-2006, 04:53 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

No, not the Launch Rail System!!!
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 05:18 PM   #14
Tech Master

As far as I'm concerned, the RoadRail system is nothing but very over priced junk. You might just as well use duct tape to create lane dividers. At least the tape won't launch an out of control car into some poor innocent bystanders crotch!!

Last edited by John Warner; 08-16-2006 at 08:57 PM.
John Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 08:40 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

ok so along with dots I hate road ramps/rails also.
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote