Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree52Likes

Team Losi JRXS Type-R

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 11:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I am wondering if any of the settings from the original Jrxs can be transitioned to the Type-r.
I drive on a rough outdoor asphalt track, pretty wide open, pretty decent grip for what it is. I have used the original jrxs there for a few years and have a setup I am pretty comfy with. Now that I have finally upgraded to a type-r are there any settings I can transfer over to the type-r?

I figure ride height/gearing should be a pretty safe bet - any comments on other settings to transfer over or should I just try a recommended asphalt setup?
Old 06-26-2010, 09:25 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by TheSteve
I am wondering if any of the settings from the original Jrxs can be transitioned to the Type-r.
I drive on a rough outdoor asphalt track, pretty wide open, pretty decent grip for what it is. I have used the original jrxs there for a few years and have a setup I am pretty comfy with. Now that I have finally upgraded to a type-r are there any settings I can transfer over to the type-r?

I figure ride height/gearing should be a pretty safe bet - any comments on other settings to transfer over or should I just try a recommended asphalt setup?
It shouldn't be a problem to just roll them over although the type r will be different it won't be a huge change.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:08 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by FREAKAH
So while changing out one of my spindle/hubs because of an oblong hole, when I press the bearing into the new spindle/hub it's very tight. It was like that on the other hubs that I changed but this one seems a bit tighter. It's making the bearing bind slightly on the shaft.

Anyone else notice that with the replacement parts?

Maybe the moulds are wearing down(is that possible?)?

Well, I tried a trick the 1/8 on-roaders supposedly do to free up the hinge pins in the suspension arms and it worked! I pushed both bearings in the hub and I then slowly heated the hub evenly with a heat gun till it was slightly hot to the touch and then let cool. I guess heating the plastic let's it expand and conform to the bearing. No more binding bearings! Worked like a charm.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

What brand bearings are you guys using to replace the ones in the kit?
Where is the best place to get them from?
Old 06-28-2010, 11:20 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by BennyBagems
Boca Bearing - wwwdotbocabearingdotcom wide variety of sealed bearings etc. I sue them to replace my brushkess motor bearigns and helicopter shaft bearings
Old 06-28-2010, 12:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BennyBagems
I've been using Avid's (http://www.avidrc.com/) steel and ceramics for my electric and gas cars and they've been great!
Old 07-04-2010, 08:29 PM
Tech Addict

I took my type-R out of retirement today. It was my first time on asphalt and the car was great!!!

Now, does anybody have pics of Lucas Urbain top deck from the world?
Old 07-05-2010, 06:43 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by FREAKAH
So while changing out one of my spindle/hubs because of an oblong hole, when I press the bearing into the new spindle/hub it's very tight. It was like that on the other hubs that I changed but this one seems a bit tighter. It's making the bearing bind slightly on the shaft.

Anyone else notice that with the replacement parts?

Maybe the moulds are wearing down(is that possible?)?
Some of the new parts have a tighter fit I've noticed that w/ the steering knuckles. The reason you may be binding is becuase your bearing is misaligned. see what you can do about pressing the bearing in straight and flat. It should spin freely even with a tight fit.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:29 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by J@UNE
I took my type-R out of retirement today. It was my first time on asphalt and the car was great!!!

Now, does anybody have pics of Lucas Urbain top deck from the world?
Its funny you mention that because I went down the road of working with the super flexy deck I made and then used the chassis setup to regain as much as I could of what you loose. The results were quite good. I found I could match or better the pace of some of the fast local drivers at my club with tyres that are historically 0.3-.05 sec a lap off the pace. I was quite surprised how good it could be. The best test will be in a few weeks time at Whalan where the track favors more of what I lost and less of what I have gained.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I'm selling my Type r, if any one is interested let me know
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...xs-type-r.html
Old 07-06-2010, 07:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

With all the talk of gear diffs will anyone come up with something for the type r.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by steve eaves
With all the talk of gear diffs will anyone come up with something for the type r.
I sure hope so, but looking at the space we have to work with, I also highly doubt it. Somebody please prove me wrong......
Old 07-06-2010, 08:49 AM
Tech Elite

Adding a gear diff to the Type-R wouldn't be that hard at all. It would require a new eccentric to be bigger than the current one but that's about it. The other option is to use small gears, like the 1/12 or 1/16 scale steel gears i've seen in past lives.

I'm guessing the interest in gear diffs is to play w/ oils to slow the diff action without the slip associated w/ balls. I'm wondering what that would feel like on an electric car. I know what it feels like on my nitro car but electric doesn't have the weight nitro does, any one driven an electric w/ fluid filled diff?

All in all the diffs are my biggest pain point right now . I've taken to cleaning and rebuilding them once a week now because my performance is SOOOO much better w/ a clean smooth diff than w/ a gritty one. I have a mcmaster thrust and a set of ceramic balls so i don't replace any parts just sand my rings flat on 600 or 400 grit sand paper clean thoroughly with denatured alcohol and rebuild w/ green slime on the balls and black grease on the thrust. I've also made it a habit to check the bearing in the diff once a week too. For whatever reason the losi ones seem to die a quick death.

A though just struck me ... anyone have an old losi hydradrive laying around they wish to donate? I wonder if we could retrofit that. If memory serves isn't rather small?

Old 07-06-2010, 08:50 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe
I sure hope so, but looking at the space we have to work with, I also highly doubt it. Somebody please prove me wrong......
It will become a possibility if the revised chassis layout works out to be faster than the current layout.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YmeBP
Adding a gear diff to the Type-R wouldn't be that hard at all. It would require a new eccentric to be bigger than the current one but that's about it. The other option is to use small gears, like the 1/12 or 1/16 scale steel gears i've seen in past lives.

I'm guessing the interest in gear diffs is to play w/ oils to slow the diff action without the slip associated w/ balls. I'm wondering what that would feel like on an electric car. I know what it feels like on my nitro car but electric doesn't have the weight nitro does, any one driven an electric w/ fluid filled diff?

All in all the diffs are my biggest pain point right now . I've taken to cleaning and rebuilding them once a week now because my performance is SOOOO much better w/ a clean smooth diff than w/ a gritty one. I have a mcmaster thrust and a set of ceramic balls so i don't replace any parts just sand my rings flat on 600 or 400 grit sand paper clean thoroughly with denatured alcohol and rebuild w/ green slime on the balls and black grease on the thrust. I've also made it a habit to check the bearing in the diff once a week too. For whatever reason the losi ones seem to die a quick death.

A though just struck me ... anyone have an old losi hydradrive laying around they wish to donate? I wonder if we could retrofit that. If memory serves isn't rather small?

I will look,i have some old stuff stored away,i would like to try a gear diff-At Novak this year in 17.5 i was tq until the last round ,which i was on a tq pace again when my diff let go-so it dropped me to 2nd maybe the durability of the gear diff would be the way to go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.