Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree52Likes

Team Losi JRXS Type-R

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 12:59 PM
Tech Rookie

Appologies if this has been asked previously, but has anyone ever had any issue fitting the latest bulkier sized LiPo's into the JRX-S?

Considering buying a big 5400mAh+ capacity pack which stands a good 25mm tall and also thinking of swapping to JRX-S at the same time.

Any help appreciated, cheers!

Stu
Old 05-31-2010, 02:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skodes
Appologies if this has been asked previously, but has anyone ever had any issue fitting the latest bulkier sized LiPo's into the JRX-S?

Considering buying a big 5400mAh+ capacity pack which stands a good 25mm tall and also thinking of swapping to JRX-S at the same time.

Stu
Stu,

Stick with the 5000mah's... the 5400's being taller really struggle to fit, the main issue being the position of the centre layshaft. Simply put, it's too low to fit 25mm tall LiPo's, even using a thinner battery tray, and dremelling the bulkhead as close as possible to the bearing holder... only other option is to space up the bulkheads, but given the issues with geometry changes this introduces, for me thats not an option...!

HiH
Ed
Old 05-31-2010, 07:31 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Skodes

Stu
Stu,
I am running SMC's latest 5200/50C pack with bullet connectors. I believe its size is built to efra's size rule. I do not know the dimensions of the pack but it fits in my car perfectly. I am running the plastic lipo tray, albeit I had to dremel out the edges of the tray a little bit to get the pack to sit all the way down in it without having to "force" it in. I also cut off some material front and rear of the tray to make it easier to get into and out of the car. The pack and tray literally fall into my car now.

The nice thing about this pack is its weight. It seems to be much lighter than some of the other packs on the market. I had to add 130 grams to my car to make the 1420g weight rule which I think is more than most people have had to add.

I am running flying fox's layshaft and have about 1mm of gap between the pack and the pulleys on both sides. Also, i did not have to dremel my bulkheads at all and actually have a couple thousandths clearance between the pack and the bulkheads.

Here is a link to the pack I am running:

http://www.nexusracing.com/product_i...cab559ab3762ef

hope this helps
Old 06-01-2010, 05:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Anyone has a spare top deck in Australia? Got into a mega bingle and a tussle with a wall... and its delaminated the top deck at the front bulkhead screws. Had to replace the main chassis, 2x front bulkheads and lower suspension arm mount too....

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2010, 01:25 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jrxs-r
Anyone has a spare top deck in Australia? Got into a mega bingle and a tussle with a wall... and its delaminated the top deck at the front bulkhead screws. Had to replace the main chassis, 2x front bulkheads and lower suspension arm mount too....

Thanks!
These top decks seem really hard to come by nowadays :-(
Old 06-01-2010, 01:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Yep.
The front corner of my plate is starting to delam. too.
Hope the ca holds up.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jrxs-r

Thanks!
Originally Posted by Donny Lia
These top decks seem really hard to come by nowadays :-(
Originally Posted by j.d.roost
Yep.
The front corner of my plate is starting to delam. too.
Hope the ca holds up.
I think that will change soon. There seems to be a second life for the type R with drivers getting results at some big meets. In the UK they are running a team of type R drivers now and plan to push the chassis. This would suggest that parts supply should actually improve.

If the decks to continue to be hard to get I'm sure FF ca have a batch done to match the standard top deck and people can do with that what they want to.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dragonfire
I think that will change soon. There seems to be a second life for the type R with drivers getting results at some big meets. In the UK they are running a team of type R drivers now and plan to push the chassis. This would suggest that parts supply should actually improve.

If the decks to continue to be hard to get I'm sure FF ca have a batch done to match the standard top deck and people can do with that what they want to.
Ill say so.
I believe both
Donny Lia and Mike Haynes
were running their Jrx-r's this weekend at Jackson (correct me if I am wrong guys).
Both of their cars looked fantastic!!!
It was fun to watch.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:12 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by j.d.roost
Ill say so.
I believe both
Donny Lia and Mike Haynes
were running their Jrx-r's this weekend at Jackson (correct me if I am wrong guys).
Both of their cars looked fantastic!!!
It was fun to watch.
Thanks man it really was alot of fun. It was really cool to see as Mike was the class of the field all day, had everyone pretty much covered. I struggled most of the day to get a handle on my car which I had just finished building that morning, and squeeked into the A. Made some more changes for the main and it was awesome.

We managed to finish 1-2 with our Type R's against the latest cars from Top and Xray, and against some great drivers too like Fairtrace and Schreffler who once wheeled Type R's to some really big wins. The lap times really tell the story, Mike had hotlap for the day and I had hotlap for the A main.

I love that fact that the car lives on its pretty cool to see.

It sounds like parts will continue to be made available? That would be great, as I know the top decks are pretty much all gone by now, maybe they will make another production run of them? I will contact Horizon to see.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo
I ordered a spare chassis from Stormer late last year and to my surprise it was 3.2mm thick! Was a genuine Losi part with the standard 2.7mm part number, but it was 3.2mm. Maybe Losi did a small run of carpet chassis?? This thing was really stiff. And as said before, the Type R is stiff anyway.

Also good to see so many people back on the Type R thread. It was going quiet for a while but now its like the good oll days
I got one of these chassis as well. I wonder what the deal is with these things?? Nice to have it, I am going to try it on carpet, just running regular 2.75mm for outdoors.

I am thinking it might even work well outdoors with a top deck gutted to hell.

Just found it funny that there are a few of these floating around out there i guess.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:47 PM
Tech Elite

Well,whatever setup you ended up using I would say it worked out.

Let us know if you get anywhere with Horizon.
Thanks.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Any chance of posting that setup? Either one of you.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Here ya go:
Attached Thumbnails Team Losi JRXS Type-R-jackson-5-29-10.gif  
Old 06-01-2010, 07:41 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hyper_Mike
Hey folks...I dusted off my Type R tonight and ran a little TC and I'm having a bit of trouble with my cars setup.

I'm running Jon Wee's setup on page 779, post #11680 using Sweep EXP 30 tires and the car had really poor off-throttle turn-in. On power the car had loads of steering (almost too much actually) but as soon as I got off the throttle the car would push like crazy! The track is quite small with a fair number of 180's and the only way I could get the car to rotate was to really throw it into the corner and try to stay on the power.

I'm thinking this might have something to do with driving with a spool (which, admittedly, I've not done much of before).

Has anybody experienced this behavior with the R? Any suggestions on what to try to get the car to turn-in and rotate more off-throttle?

Cheers,
Mike
that set up was only for that slippery carpet track, to get more turn in, I will start with a lowering front RH to 4.5-5 then rear RH to 5.0-5.5. start from there.

Originally Posted by TryHard
Hey All,

Regarding the FF spool, I've done a small mod to mine now to try and stop the outdrives chewing... should point out that it's not a fault of the spool itself, as on the outdrives, the small area that is recessed just can't take the amount of power we're putting through...

Anyway, to try and give more area for the drive to be transmitted, I've basically pinned the outdrives in place. Had to have a check if the driveshaft has enough clearance (its does ), and if I could get the pin to be held by the bearing. Anyway, the pics should show what I've done, basically ended up using a 2mm dia shaft from an old hex driver, cut to length. The holes are a little wonky given they were drilled by hand, but by going from one side I've kept them straight enough. Only issue now is having to drill new cups when I replace them, but for now, I'm happy to take that problem

Cheers
Ed
Nicely done! I was doing that also till I took easy way out for stock class racing, I been racing modified latley and now I do need that mod.

Originally Posted by Dragonfire
Nice mod.. I looked at doing a similar mod a while ago but due to having no problems I didn't bother.

There is a long grub screw in the losi kit that is very much the same diameter as the FF spool. What I planned to do was drill a hole right near the end (further inside than yours) of the outdrive and simply screw it in. If the hole is a little small the grub screw will make a thread in the alloy and hold in fine. This would allow you to change outdrives without even taking out the spool.
yeah I m going to do that with long 4-40 set screws too, bit more secure feeling while assembling them.

Originally Posted by Donny Lia
Thanks man it really was alot of fun. It was really cool to see as Mike was the class of the field all day, had everyone pretty much covered. I struggled most of the day to get a handle on my car which I had just finished building that morning, and squeeked into the A. Made some more changes for the main and it was awesome.

We managed to finish 1-2 with our Type R's against the latest cars from Top and Xray, and against some great drivers too like Fairtrace and Schreffler who once wheeled Type R's to some really big wins. The lap times really tell the story, Mike had hotlap for the day and I had hotlap for the A main.

I love that fact that the car lives on its pretty cool to see.

It sounds like parts will continue to be made available? That would be great, as I know the top decks are pretty much all gone by now, maybe they will make another production run of them? I will contact Horizon to see.
Great job at the race Donny!, perhaps 1/10th ROAR national champ title won't be too far from your reach! see ya at the Chaplin this Sunday?
Old 06-01-2010, 07:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Mike, Do you know wich losi spring would be close? 17.5, 15?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.