Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Team Losi JRXS Type-R >

Team Losi JRXS Type-R

Like Tree52Likes

Team Losi JRXS Type-R

Old 06-14-2021, 01:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

One reason the car is a bit difficult is also one of its strengths under the right circumstances, its chassis stiffness.

Removing the top deck side braces and trimming the top deck itself may help, it would also allow you to run the car with the ESC in the battery tray behind the battery pack.
Old 06-16-2021, 07:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I find it interesting that this thread just will not die. I had this car back in the day of brush motor cars and really liked its performance. Losi may be dead in onroad but this thread is still going lol. Perhaps one day someone will design a gear diff for this car and people might start seeing it winning a few top level races.
Can you even buy parts for this anymore?
Old 06-16-2021, 09:28 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Brian10811
I find it interesting that this thread just will not die. I had this car back in the day of brush motor cars and really liked its performance. Losi may be dead in onroad but this thread is still going lol. Perhaps one day someone will design a gear diff for this car and people might start seeing it winning a few top level races.
Meh... its pretty dead. The car is obsolete. Fifteen years will do that in RC.
Old 06-16-2021, 10:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Brian10811
Ha, the thread is pretty dead, I just post occasional updates for what is really a passion project. I'm just an old school Losi fanboy and I really like the design, it's quirky and just about still from the era when manufacturers were trying different approaches. I just can't really get excited about any modern chassis when you can hardly tell one apart from the other. I also really enjoy putting an old car somewhere on the timing sheet that it doesn't really belong!

I still think the centered mass can have some advantages over the modern stuff in specific circumstances. I wish a manufacturer would make something like the Type R but built around the narrow form factor lipos, with gear diffs and more modern geometry. I really think that could be something quite special. And no, you can't really buy parts for them any more because I have them all!
simple likes this.
Old 06-19-2021, 12:06 PM
Tech Champion

If you have a type R running shorty lipos with a front spool and ofna diff lock lube in the rear ball diff, it will be very competitive....
Old 09-28-2021, 06:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

My Type-R was good enough to finish 4th overall at the USVTA Nationals this year. Had to chase setup all week looking for more corner speed, but in the end, didn't traction roll at all. A few of the pivot ball cars were flipping over during A2 and A3, but I kept the roll centers low enough to stay rubber side down.
maximebeauvais and Andy_F like this.
Old 09-28-2021, 07:05 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe
My Type-R was good enough to finish 4th overall at the USVTA Nationals this year. Had to chase setup all week looking for more corner speed, but in the end, didn't traction roll at all. A few of the pivot ball cars were flipping over during A2 and A3, but I kept the roll centers low enough to stay rubber side down.
Not at all surprised. Over the year a couple of us have ran our type Rs in that class against the newest crop and found it works quite well. Been a couple years for me but not like the other cars have changed any in that time period.

I only stopped running it because I didn't want to loose any rare parts. Now trying to decide if I should move them on to someone else to die fighting or keep it locked away on my shelf. LOL.
Old 09-29-2021, 01:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Really cool achievement Greg. I'm running mine in a national UK carpet comp over the next few months. What general set up were you running out of interest?
Old 10-04-2021, 09:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

would anybody happen to know the number of teeth on the front and rear belts on the type r ? thanks
Old 10-04-2021, 11:18 PM
Tech Champion

If you set your car up with the latest/smallest esc, servo, and lowest profile shorty battery pack, you will easily increase your corner speed without any sign of traction rolling...
Old 10-05-2021, 05:05 PM
Tech Elite

Default 2021 USVTA Nationals setup sheet

Originally Posted by Andy_F
Really cool achievement Greg. I'm running mine in a national UK carpet comp over the next few months. What general set up were you running out of interest?
The biggest difference on this particular chassis is the use of modern short shocks from Xray (T4-21 ULP). I drilled new shock towers with the upper shock mounting hole in the appropriate locations for the shorter lengths. Besides that, having forward facing ball studs on this custom steering rack made more finite Ackerman adjustments possible which helped keep the old gal from being edgy on the super high grip, new CRC black carpet. I'll grab some pics of those two mods...

Andy_F likes this.
Old 10-05-2021, 05:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
If you set your car up with the latest/smallest esc, servo, and lowest profile shorty battery pack, you will easily increase your corner speed without any sign of traction rolling...
We ran a shorty pack at the ROAR Carpet Nationals where my hired gun, Josh Knight, won the VTA title with this car. However, we definitely didn't have the fastest powertrain. People smarter than me have found that the shorty packs don't have as much punch as the standard packs, so I tried a few brands and finally settled on the SMC Extreme V2 6000. Since that race I also updated the ESC from a cheap 60amp HW to this Orca Oe101 which was worth a good bump in punch and adjustability that helped keep me from falling out of the A-main. I still used the HW 25.5 though, which apparently isn't the go-to motor choice on large, free flowing tracks. The HW is very rev-happy, so it has good pop off the apex on shorter tracks like Coastal RC for the ROAR Nats.

Last edited by Greg Sharpe; 10-05-2021 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Fingers too tired for phone screen
Old 10-05-2021, 11:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Very cool Greg. Gives me some inspiration for some future mods for more performance. I've been thinking about redesigning the front shock tower for a while for better body clearance. Hadn't thought about the rack though. Nice work and thanks for the info!
Old 10-06-2021, 02:31 PM
Tech Elite

That's a quite unusual setup, at least in my opinion. My swaybars save my life, keep the chassis from dragging. How much suspension droop do you run?
Old 10-06-2021, 08:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DesertRat
That's a quite unusual setup, at least in my opinion. My swaybars save my life, keep the chassis from dragging. How much suspension droop do you run?
At that event, 2mm front and 2.5mm rear. I kept lowering the roll centers as the grip came up, which did make the chassis drag more. The pivot ball cars were traction rolling later on mains day, so I knew it was only a matter of time before my car tried to flip over. By A3, the chassis had a fair amount of carpet drag marks, but it didn't traction roll. I had run swaybars earlier in the event, but they were preventing the final amount of chassis roll and maximum tire loading that it needed to stay near the leaders, so I removed them instead of going to the lightest bars. With limited testing on qualifying and mains day, making that big change was all I had time to test.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.