Search
Like Tree52Likes

Team Losi JRXS Type-R

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 01:24 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by schreff
As Larry said, I've put about 3 one-ways together now.

I've only had 1 of the 3 have issues with one of the bearings. One of the needles fell out and it's gone. The one-way is in a car right now and it seems to work just fine. That's not to say an issue won't occur though. It's in Tags car and we ran it like 10 packs over this past weekend with no issues.
Looking over the instructions again, it looks like maybe I did something wrong with the o-rings. They go inside the housing? Also, is there a trick to getting the pins to seat inside the one-way bearing when assembling the whole thing?

I don't suppose there's any hope of replacing the one-way bearings? They seem to be in there pretty well.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Looking over the instructions again, it looks like maybe I did something wrong with the o-rings. They go inside the housing? Also, is there a trick to getting the pins to seat inside the one-way bearing when assembling the whole thing?

I don't suppose there's any hope of replacing the one-way bearings? They seem to be in there pretty well.
I think the one-way bearings are pressed in. I didn't try taking them out so ya got me there.

And as far as the o-rings, yes they go in the housing. That was one of the things Tags didn't put in when he first built his. He forget the o-ring and the one-way would fall apart in the car while running. That o-ring holds in the washer that holds the little axle piece that rides on the bearing. If you forget that o-ring, the whole assembly can float and eventually fall apart.

Basically, you put the small axle piece in, then the washer, then the outdrive bearing, and then the o-ring. The last part is bolting the outdrive to the small axle piece and you should be good to go.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:51 PM
Tech Lord

And as far as the o-rings, yes they go in the housing. That was one of the things Tags didn't put in when he first built his. He forget the o-ring and the one-way would fall apart in the car while running. That o-ring holds in the washer that holds the little axle piece that rides on the bearing. If you forget that o-ring, the whole assembly can float and eventually fall apart.

Basically, you put the small axle piece in, then the washer, then the outdrive bearing, and then the o-ring. The last part is bolting the outdrive to the small axle piece and you should be good to go.
That helps quite a bit. It make sense now, but it sure isn't clear from the instructions. I had the o-rings installed wrong (outside). Hopefully that's all it was. I've got another one-way coming, so I'll be sure to get it right this time.

The bearings look forced in there. I imagine they could be drilled out, but I'm not sure if installing a new bearing is feasible. I think I can read the number on the existing one, maybe I can find a part number and some dimensions, and looking into finding replacements. Maybe even better bearings, if they exist.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:06 PM
Tech Lord

Okay, I get it now. I just practiced with the good half of my existing one-way and got it right. The hub bearing goes way down in there. Schreff, do you have any trick for getting it to slide down into the hub easily? Heating the one-way tube up on that end first seemed to help, but I don't want to damage the plastic parts of the one-way bearing.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Okay, I get it now. I just practiced with the good half of my existing one-way and got it right. The hub bearing goes way down in there. Schreff, do you have any trick for getting it to slide down into the hub easily? Heating the one-way tube up on that end first seemed to help, but I don't want to damage the plastic parts of the one-way bearing.
I didn't use any special tracks there. I just tapped the hub bearing in with the tip of a wrench until it was in all the way. I didn't try heating it as I'm sure the one-way bearing wouldn't like that very much.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:38 PM
Tech Lord

I didn't use any special tracks there. I just tapped the hub bearing in with the tip of a wrench until it was in all the way. I didn't try heating it as I'm sure the one-way bearing wouldn't like that very much.
Cool, thanks for the help. I'll be sure to get it right with the next one.

I'm building a new kit, and I opened a package of "new" front arms to replace the ones that came with the kit. I noticed it came with new locating pins for droop, they're silver instead of black. Any chance they're less brittle? I've cracked a few in the front adjusting droop, especially working the wrench around the outdrives for the one-way. The new rear arms still had the black screws.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

Cool, thanks for the help. I'll be sure to get it right with the next one.

I'm building a new kit, and I opened a package of "new" front arms to replace the ones that came with the kit. I noticed it came with new locating pins for droop, they're silver instead of black. Any chance they're less brittle? I've cracked a few in the front adjusting droop, especially working the wrench around the outdrives for the one-way. The new rear arms still had the black screws.
My latest kit and arms have silver screws too. I haven't cracked any of them. Maybe you need a torque wrench.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:15 PM
Tech Lord

My latest kit and arms have silver screws too. I haven't cracked any of them. Maybe you need a torque wrench.
Hahah, maybe so! I don't know WTF I'm doing wrong, but I spent 5 minutes getting the last one out with a pair of pliers. It seems like an odd angle to get to the front screws with the one-way in. It's probably my cheap Integy wrenches. Every time I think I'm ready to get something nicer (XRay) they're out of stock.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:17 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Anyone looking for a Type R I have a brand new one built for sale.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=180502
Old 09-09-2007, 06:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Got a relatively full day of carpet practice today at our local spot, Bending Corners in Orange, CA. I was testing setups for Vegas and here's where I will be starting...

Stock Foam TC

indoor/temporary Ozite track/medium bite/tight/90' straight

Front
0 toes
4mm ride height
-2 camber
0 kick/dive
6 caster
1mm over ride droop
0 pivot
low roll center
arms middle
#1 tower
#2 steering rack
#1 spindle
Standard Camber link
short + 0.030 ball stuf
no swaybar
front diff, 42 T
low diff
LCD's
0.225 Losi hex
60/56 piston
25 lb spring
Losi black bladder/nothing above

2 0.030 washers under tall ball stud/steering rack
1 0.030 washer under tall ball stud/spindle

Rear
3 toe
4.5 mm ride
1.5 over ride/droop
-2.5 camber
0 pro/anti
0 hub/standard
2 rear pivot
low roll center
arm forward
#2 tower/inside on arm
7-A camber link/tall ball stud w/ 2 0.030 washers
no swaybar
diff low
RCD's standard 0.165 Losi hex
50/56
20 lb spring
Losi black bladder/nothing above

Protoform Pontiac G6 body, standard wing
Trinity Co27 motor/4499 brushes/purple pos/neg springs
126 PRS spur
36 PRS pinion
Jaco 26mm 2-stage foam, double pink front and rear
57.5 mm, Jack the Gripper sauce
2/3 front, full rear

I started with setup information provided by Andrew Gray, who developed a similar setup at the Vegas Warm Up event at Competition Hobbies last month. I made a few changes on my own to free up the rear of the car and by the end of the day, this setup was right on the edge of being too twitchy on a medium bite track. I think having a 'free' car, one that rotates quickly without scrubbing corner speed, is essential for stock foam sedan. I also tried the DNA and Parma Alfa bodies, but they provided just too much downforce. My fastest lap times of the day were done with the G6 body, which provides less intial turn-in, but more/faster corner rotation. I also felt like it was faster down the straight. I am sure many of you will scoff at my body of choice and who knows if it will work well at Vegas, but I will stick with what I learned today to start....

Good luck.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

i just got my type-r car tonight...i havent even started the build yet.
before doing so i was curious if any of you guys have been running rubber tires on carpet?

and which set-up should i try.

also i was reading in the book about adjusting the diffs?
i found that a little weird the way they were doing it.....hmmm....

anyways any help i would greatly appreciate it...

thx,
matt
Old 09-09-2007, 07:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

once in the car you adjust like any other diff. Put wrench in and turn the wheel.
The directions just show how to tighten the diff when you build it.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:49 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by morris
i just got my type-r car tonight...i havent even started the build yet.
before doing so i was curious if any of you guys have been running rubber tires on carpet?

and which set-up should i try.

also i was reading in the book about adjusting the diffs?
i found that a little weird the way they were doing it.....hmmm....
I've been doing rubber tires carpet for a few weeks now, with decent success. I believe Larry, Schreff and some others will have a few setups to share (rubber and foam?) after the IIC in a few weeks.

As for the diffs, Todd made an interesting post a while back about how the diffs are different, which may explain the odd adjustment. You can read it here:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showpost...postcount=3400
Old 09-10-2007, 08:42 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by T. Hodge
Using the LOSA3018 Thrust Assembly-His a key note on building your diffs on your JRXS. On the thrust assembly you will want to measure the outer diameter of the thrust assembly. You will notice that one of the thrust washers is larger in diameter. You will want to place this washer onto the diff screw first. Then put the caged ball assembly on the diff screw then slightly more lube around the caged bearing. Apply the next thrust washer (smaller diameter) next. Now you will want to use your 5 concaved washers in the opposite direction on the diff screw. You will want them in this orientation
[--)))))--

instead of

[--(((((--
Assemble the diff accordingly and you will notice a smoother diff.
Look at this. I know that the not-R is different from the R but I'm Help me
Attached Thumbnails Team Losi JRXS Type-R-diff.jpg  
Old 09-10-2007, 12:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

i was told by some other peeps that the build was really easy....but im am usually the one having trouble with builds most of the time....i will just make sure that i take my time with it...and questions i will get on here and ask...i have met both fairtrace and schref and horsham and they both were cool...

thx guys,
matt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.