Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree52Likes

Team Losi JRXS Type-R

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 11:18 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Add me to the list of people that suspects the PRS adapter might be causing problems with stripped gears. Since switching to rubber tires and 116T spurs (from 100T) I've managed to strip two, and in both cases the motor definitely did NOT move. The unstripped parts of the gear still mesh perfectly.

I guess I'll grab some proper Losi gears and see if the situation improves. They're just so... yellow!
Old 09-04-2007, 11:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Add me to the list of people that suspects the PRS adapter might be causing problems with stripped gears. Since switching to rubber tires and 116T spurs (from 100T) I've managed to strip two, and in both cases the motor definitely did NOT move. The unstripped parts of the gear still mesh perfectly.

I guess I'll grab some proper Losi gears and see if the situation improves. They're just so... yellow!
First I have heard of this, I run rubber all the time and have PRS adapters on all my cars. Never experienced this issue.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:30 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Yeti35
First I have heard of this, I run rubber all the time and have PRS adapters on all my cars. Never experienced this issue.
It's been mentioned in this thread by two other people in the past.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:33 PM
Tech Elite

It's been mentioned in this thread by two other people in the past.
I guess I missed that page. Honestly though I have had no issues with mine at all, but then again I am not running the smaller spurs either. Is that where the issue has been occurring? I have smaller spurs but have not had a reason to use them as of yet.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:44 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Yeti35
I guess I missed that page. Honestly though I have had no issues with mine at all, but then again I am not running the smaller spurs either. Is that where the issue has been occurring? I have smaller spurs but have not had a reason to use them as of yet.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showpost...postcount=5009

It looks like a number of people have had the exact same problem I'm experiencing.

Until last week, I ran a PRS 100 with foam tires and never had a problem. Last week I switched to a PRS 116 with rubber tires and have blown away two gears in two race nights. Prior to the last two weeks, I had -never- killed a spur in my 2+ years of on-road racing.

The car felt really good on rubber tires tonight. I still need to work on my consistency, but I'm starting to get a feel for driving with a one way. I really like rubber tires, I feel like I have to use a LOT more throttle control to keep the car smooth. If I leap on the throttle when exiting a corner like I would with foams, it's pretty easy to break traction. It seems a like a lot more finesse is required. Gearing up my BL motor and taming some of its torque made a big difference as well.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

I stripped gears nonstop with the PRS adapter.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:18 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by RBLove
I stripped gears nonstop with the PRS adapter.
Hmm... that's convincing enough for me. It was possibly the tiniest bump I've had in a while that set it off, both times.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:43 AM
Tech Regular

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showpost...postcount=5009

It looks like a number of people have had the exact same problem I'm experiencing.

Until last week, I ran a PRS 100 with foam tires and never had a problem. Last week I switched to a PRS 116 with rubber tires and have blown away two gears in two race nights. Prior to the last two weeks, I had -never- killed a spur in my 2+ years of on-road racing.

The car felt really good on rubber tires tonight. I still need to work on my consistency, but I'm starting to get a feel for driving with a one way. I really like rubber tires, I feel like I have to use a LOT more throttle control to keep the car smooth. If I leap on the throttle when exiting a corner like I would with foams, it's pretty easy to break traction. It seems a like a lot more finesse is required. Gearing up my BL motor and taming some of its torque made a big difference as well.
I don't know how big a diameter the 116 is but its not rubbing on the chassis is it??
Old 09-05-2007, 04:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Totally agree with the comments on the PRS adaptors. When they work good, they are mint. But once they start stripping, change it out immediately! I was running the PRS adaptor and spurs on the JRX-S and have experienced this issue a couple of times. Since changing to the Losi ones with the JRX-S and the R, never had any problems at all. Its still on the spur that came in the kit!
Old 09-05-2007, 04:58 AM
Tech Regular

Seems odd this, I have used the same adaptor in both my JRXS and Type R. It's about 3 years old with the only damage to a spur coming from a tiny little stone gettin in the pinion gears!
Old 09-05-2007, 05:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

A fellow racer also has a PRS adaptor and spur, and has not experienced any issues. I have noticed that there is a bit of variance between the 2 that I have. One sits pretty snug on the shaft, and the other is quite loose. The snug one is still NIP, and have not tried it yet. I might have to give it another go with the new one.... maybe just got a out of spec item. Let you guys know!
Old 09-05-2007, 05:21 AM

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Why use PRS?What's wrong with the Losi spurs?
Old 09-05-2007, 06:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (94%+)

i have noticed on the prs adapter that the pinions sit on the end of the armature and with running brushless with all the torq it produced i was stripping gears often now that i am back to running losi spurs no problems at all as the pinion is closer to the motor with les flex
Old 09-05-2007, 06:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I had the adapter on both of my cars,

Foam no issue but rubber, I stripping gear all the time (from 120 to 128)... I shimed the bearing as it wasnt that tight in the bulkhead but the problem still occur. Maybe one of my adater is not as tigh on the shaft... Dont know.

So now I have dyed my Losi spur in black
Old 09-05-2007, 07:54 AM
Tech Elite

Ok, I have a question since someone brought it up, is all this stripping when running a BL motor? I know Syndrome is BL and a few others here are. I don't run BL and if the deal is you have to have the pinion so far out on the end of the motor shaft to mate up right then there is your answer. I run rubber all the time and have had the adapter on 3 different cars with zero issues. So I say you can't blame rubber, but it could be the way you have to setup your pinion with BL. I know on my brushed motors it does not sit that far out on the arm. I have been running a fairly torquey Hemi wound KD on my R and have not noticed anything. I am just guessing here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.