Search

Sport tuned vs stock

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 02:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Lightbulb Sport tuned vs stock

hey guys,

just wonderin is it worth getting a sport tuned 540?, are they much faster than the stock tamiya motors? and whats the approximate running time of the sport tuned?

thx
Old 08-10-2006, 07:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Runtime it determined by your batteries not the motor.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:35 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Sport Tuned motors are a good bit faster than regular silver cans.. they hit higher RPMs (+2,000), and have better torque.. However, they don't last nearly as long as a silver can does, as the brushes are much softer, a tradeoff for the extra performance. They risk burning out easily if you overgear them as well.

It's a decent practice upgrade if you're still learning to drive from a silver can, but unless it's required for a TCS race, I'd stick to a normal rebuildable Stock motor (over 10,000RPM more) , and tone down the top speed with your controller until you're comfy, as well as being able to race with the stock crowd at your track..

Black cans will give you less runtime than the silver can, as it does have a higher amp rate.. A 2400 NiCD will last 4-5 minutes of runtime before it slows down with a black can, so the newer 3800's and 4300's will give you a good amount more.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

run time is very much affected by motor, you try a stock motor and try a mod like a 7 turn . you will have totally diffrent run time from both. mods eat up amps and voltage!
maybe thats why stock races are now 6 mins and mod and 19 is 5 min. just stating the facts about battery numbers and run time!
Old 08-10-2006, 09:55 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jakster
run time is very much affected by motor, you try a stock motor and try a mod like a 7 turn . you will have totally diffrent run time from both. mods eat up amps and voltage!
maybe thats why stock races are now 6 mins and mod and 19 is 5 min. just stating the facts about battery numbers and run time!
Alright you got a point, it was early when I posted that!!
Old 08-10-2006, 10:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

yeti, i was reading you aviatar, no carpet in slc utah, ya but you do have the best powder snow in the world! alta, snobird rock! and many more great skiing/ boarding spots!
god could i go for some waste deep powder right now! its about 97f here in florida!
Old 08-10-2006, 11:33 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jakster
yeti, i was reading you aviatar, no carpet in slc utah, ya but you do have the best powder snow in the world! alta, snobird rock! and many more great skiing/ boarding spots!
god could i go for some waste deep powder right now! its about 97f here in florida!
Yeah unfortunately no carpet tracks but you are right, home to the Greatest Snow on Earth!! For it says so on the license plates also. I am a season pass holder to Alta which has got to be my most favorite resorts next to Whistler/Blackcomb. I moved here for the great skiing but was fortunate enough to get a job that paid to move me here. It has not been to bad here weather wise. We have gotten a nice bit of rain for us livin in the high desert. I have included a pic of my plate and I have it on Alta's site as well.
Attached Thumbnails Sport tuned vs stock-dsc00068.jpg  
Old 08-15-2006, 12:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

worth getting one?
Old 08-15-2006, 01:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by surrealmaterial
worth getting one?
you have pm bro.