Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What lubricants shall I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 04:31 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

He's talking about WD-40, Only use it on Rubber Tires...Not my choice on traction compounds but it does work in a pinch.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:12 PM
Tech Regular

I think he's talking about both.
Originally Posted by nf_ekt
A little bit of synthetic motor oil rubbed on the tires, let sit for an hour or so, even longer if you want.

I have a set I did this to about a month ago and never used, the tires feel very sticky and good to run
a non related question, but what are comm drops for?
Old 08-13-2006, 06:42 PM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vtl1180ny
You're a good consumer Huh? I bet you believe the enzyte commercials too....
The DIP traction compound does work very well especially in low traction situations. Being that it comes from Schumacher, there's a lot of it being used around here. However, it's $12 a bottle or so...
Old 08-13-2006, 08:27 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by MK_Arbiter
I think he's talking about both.

a non related question, but what are comm drops for?
I would not use oil on my tires...Rubber or foam, At $40 + a set I'm not taking any chances. I will use what I know works. Com Drops are used to lube the brushes to help break them in, I know some guys use them for a performance edge (I don't think it works) From what I have seen it softens up your brushes and gums up the com. When used every run.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:59 PM
Tech Regular

So is it a good thing or a bad thing? And while on motors, is motor spray specially formulated to not damage the motor or will break cleaner work?
Old 08-13-2006, 09:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xxxkat
He's talking about WD-40, Only use it on Rubber Tires...Not my choice on traction compounds but it does work in a pinch.
I tried alittle synthetic oil on rubber tires, it took awhile to settle in but the tires were really sticky as a result. It softened the rubber up a bit. Results were pretty good though the DIP stuff had a slight edge. Try it on a used up tire that your about to throw out soon, just put on a thin coat and give it about 30 minutes or more. It will make the tires sticky. Simple green followed by WD-40 works for one guy I know I tried it and the results were decent. These were not tried on foam I think paragon is usually a safe bet there.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:49 PM
Tech Lord

On the com drops most racers I know don't really use them. I have used them to break a motor in and can honestly say I could not tell a difference in the performance of a motor using or not using com drops (*notice I did say I*, I'll save the $6 and not use them. The one thing I look for in a motor cleaner is residue...As in I don't want any left on the com. Some Break cleaners use solvents and some don't. Most of the hobby shops in my area sell motor cleaner for $5 to $6. nf_ekt I do know that some guys use sun tan LOTION (not OIL) on foam tires with good results on asphalt. Back in the "day" this is what most guys running pan cars used (it was hard to find traction compounds) I have used WD-40 and I know it works but their are some better products out their.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:19 PM
Tech Regular

My local hobby shop sells motor cleaner but it's quite pricey at 10 bucks a can, so brake cleaner is my cheaper option. Do all brake cleaners leave a residue? Is magnum force motor spray any good?
Old 08-13-2006, 10:26 PM
Tech Elite

suntan lotion is a go for foam tires I like it on asphalt for 12th scale. Try the synthetic on a rubber tire it will soften them up, but yeah dip seams to work alittle faster/better.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Good lubes

Niftech works really well on bearings, motors, and diffs...
Old 08-14-2006, 04:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

just wanted to add... i use a fast dry contact cleaner to clean the motor. so far so good.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:06 AM
Tech Regular

What brand is it? You can use any spray as long as it doesn't leave residue right?
Old 08-14-2006, 11:53 AM
Tech Regular

What brand is it? You can use any spray as long as it doesn't leave residue right?
You have 232 post and your asking questions like this?Seriously what the hell have you been doing on here?Search and read around it's not that hard.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

McKinetic... dunno if its available where you are. but i've found that its slightly more expensive than the usual r/c motor spray so i might switch when i finish the can i have.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by teammediocre
You have 232 post and your asking questions like this?Seriously what the hell have you been doing on here?Search and read around it's not that hard.
Off-topic, but NICE F#*KING AVATAR. Clutch rules big-time. Still got a tour shirt from '93. Good stuff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.