R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-03-2006, 09:04 PM   #121
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

robk, Traxxas and HPI are bringing new blood into the sport, by advertising in non R/C magazines and on touring cars, Monster trucks, etc.

I know for a FACT that they sell 100's of RTR's for every 1 that ends up racing.

In other words 6000 ROAR members, figure on 60,000+ who could, but who don't race at all.

I always wonder, what is it that we are doing to make it like this?

Btw, the most successful manufacturers are FAR from "Broke", in fact they do FAR more business then race oriented manufacturers, since they don't focus primarily on racing, if at all, they focus on the majority of the market, RTR toys that may never be raced.

If R/C racing will ever make it to the TV on a regular basis, this has to change. Unless it is a show about playing with a monster truck and not racing.

...Jim
"Nothing but the best!"
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 10:51 AM   #122
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I think you and i are on the same page with this. I just have a problem with the "rc cars don't make any money" line. Of course they do. Rc car RACING is the thing that doesn't make money.

I have also heard the "for every 1 gadzillion kits/rtrs/whatever sold, 1 makes it to the track" ad infinitum. It may be true. I doubt any real numbers are attached to it. I assume it's anecdotal evidence based on how many cars show up at the track vs. what the shop sells.

The reason you don't have a lot of racers is simple. There is a lot of effort required, and success is not instant. You can go play video games, and be awesome almost instantly if you have talent. You can take that same talent, and it will take you 2 years to be fast with rc.

Compounding this is there is no real way to bring people up from the start. I'm not even sure what way this should be accomplished, but whatever is going on now doesn't really work.

Also, I think that rc guys (racers or not) would be well disposed to a show with hardcore rc racing, of whatever type. A lot of people who own MX bikes to play with love watching MX racing. Doesn't mean they will ever be on a track. I'm not sure why you would have to be a serious racer to watch racing on tv. I think if you like rc, you would probably watch it. At least as much as you would watch cup stacking

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 12:36 PM   #123
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up Diffently on the right track

http://www.mlgpro.com is a business model that we are looking at here at FAST RC's to apply to the WSD. They are on the right track. Take some of their business model add the applicable NASCAR plan and learn from what skateboarding, snowboarding, the X games did to succeed and RC's is the next big thing. This SPORT has all it needs. Damm until this WSD event - Rock - Scissors- Paper put more cash on the line for their ( damm what do I call them Sports, Hobbyist, gamers ) attendees then RC's ever did. More contestants were there for that then will compete in this months big RC race. Both in Vegas. I Know RC is more exciting to watch and to participate in. We need people to view our events. The mantra should be from this point on "Heads on Races". If kids and families see the races I BELIEVE the sport will explode. We at FAST are willing to take the gamble and show the drivers to the world. The race excitement, we believe, will do the rest.
TECH CONTROL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:36 AM   #124
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Anyone see this thread was brought up in the latest Xtreme RC Cars magazine?
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:57 AM   #125
Tech Apprentice

The X number of cars sold to actually racing is easily 25 or more to 1. If you would like some real world numbers, here's an example:
We have an on-road track in front of our shop, we race every week, and have a decent 20-30 person per week turnout. Our bread and butter intro car for nitro racing is the NTC3 RTR. So far this year, we've sold 28 of those cars, and only 2 have come out to race. Last year, we sold 43 of them, and had 2 come out to race. And that's a car we're targeting towards the people who see the racing and walk in to get "involved in the hobby".
As a hobby shop owner, I can tell you the manufacturers are making a decent amount of money, who's getting pinched is the hobby shops. Mail order has always been a tough competitor, but now with E-Bay, people willing to dump kits for $15 over cost makes it nearly impossible to make any money for the local hobby shop. Racers are usually regular customers that you give a discount to on most products, which cuts further into profits. So, I do much better with a new person walking in the shop.
Just some actual real world numbers for you, and other things...
www.thehobbyshoponline.com
(937)-436-6161
thehobbyshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:03 PM   #126
Tech Champion

Stop selling them those crappy NTC3s and get them into a real car like the Corally RDX and we will see more show up. What kinda help you got working at that joint?

Old 09-28-2006, 12:25 PM   #127
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital
Anyone see this thread was brought up in the latest Xtreme RC Cars magazine?
We are always watching..lol
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/vrcmag
mcmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:36 PM   #128
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmoney
We are always watching..lol
LOL. I better watch what I say. I was actually thinking after reading it what kind of thread I could start that might make it in there! Keep up the good work!
Old 09-28-2006, 12:40 PM   #129
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Stop selling them those crappy NTC3s and get them into a real car like the Corally RDX and we will see more show up. What kinda help you got working at that joint?

While true, had I made that comment, the world would've jumped down my throat . To the hobby store owner, you never specified what type of racing events you hold? You must have a nice amount of real estate to have a track in front of the store to hold nitro only events. Sell a chunk of that land, build an electric track and profits will rise. Nitro is on the decline with electric technology on the rise. I myself, take great pride in smoking nitros with my electric Pro4 .

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:47 PM   #130
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxpitbull
While true, had I made that comment, the world would've jumped down my throat . To the hobby store owner, you never specified what type of racing events you hold? You must have a nice amount of real estate to have a track in front of the store to hold nitro only events. Sell a chunk of that land, build an electric track and profits will rise. Nitro is on the decline with electric technology on the rise. I myself, take great pride in smoking nitros with my electric Pro4 .
It is an outdoor asphalt parking lot track. He runs both Nitro and Electric. Nitro seems to sell better then the electrics I think for the sheer noise factor. We are trying to convince him to build us an indoor track at which point I would assume the electric sales would increase.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:55 PM   #131
Tech Master

Oh, you know the guy, cool. I thought that was a sideswiping STAB .

People are just caught up from the old stigma that Nitro is faster. Foolish mortals . I run nitro because I like to compete, but other than my Savage, if it were to go away, can't say I would miss it.

Old 09-28-2006, 01:09 PM   #132
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxpitbull
Oh, you know the guy, cool. I thought that was a sideswiping STAB .

People are just caught up from the old stigma that Nitro is faster. Foolish mortals . I run nitro because I like to compete, but other than my Savage, if it were to go away, can't say I would miss it.
Oh yeah I know him. Nitro definately brings the crowds over and a lot of the spectators are surprised to find out that the electrics are faster. The one thing Nitro is doing right is having less classes.

Last edited by or8ital; 09-28-2006 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:52 PM   #133
Tech Master

Quote:
Oh yeah I know him. Nitro definately brings the crowds over and a lot of the spectators are surprised to find out that the electrics are faster. The one thing Nitro is doing right is having less classes.
Good point. Then, in your opinion, what class can be cut from electrics? Just on the strength of what I have seen on RCtech, 19T seems to be the most popular. 27T here in the US and 23T overseas. Between bouncing from rubber to foam and all of the 1/12 and 1/10th scale, yea, I can see some real clutter building.

Old 09-28-2006, 02:15 PM   #134
Tech Elite

Quote:
The one thing Nitro is doing right is having less classes.
Electric racers won't be happy until there are enough classes so that every entrant makes an A-main.

My favorite is on-road electric. We have 14 National Champions for 2 types of cars (1/12 and 1/10 touring).
Old 09-28-2006, 02:33 PM   #135
Tech Apprentice

Orbital, in the immortal words of the soup nazi, "No more discount for u, 2 months". buuwwwwaaaahahahahahaa BTW, when did Corally start making a nitro car? Look back at your post, and you'll get it!

Our track is 120 x 72 very smooth asphalt for being a parking lot track. We run nitro, electric, and 1/12. A few micros get out there and run as well.

Nitro is rather popular because of the straightline speeds, and the wow factor of the noise and shifting. We run a stock class and a 19T class in electrics. We run electric stock, then nitro, then 19T so anyone that watches early enough gets to see fast, faster, and fastest on the track. I turn about a lap to a lap and a quarter faster with my 19T than my nitro.
www.thehobbyshoponline.com
(937)-436-6161
thehobbyshop is offline   Reply With Quote