R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-11-2006, 04:55 PM   #31
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

As a former company insider I have seen some checks that have been sent out to certain drivers, 7 figures is totally insane and not even close. Some drivers make more then others and im sure that a lot people would like to know how much a driver makes per month, year or quarter but this is a private business agreement of the individual and the company they are sponsored by. Im sure all of us would love to be able to race an R/C car for a living but the guys that can and do have been very successful in racing and are extremely talented. I hope that none of you think its all fun and games and all these guys do is go to the track everyday and run pack after pack because its not. Part of a contract agreement between manufacture and driver is R&D of the product that the sponsor produces and then you have different contract disputes between the driver and sponsor. Don't forget that most of the big time drivers that we all know and root for at the big races have multiple sponsors and have put there time in racing over the years and got to where they are now because of dedication to this hobby/sport. chances are that they receive a check from more then one sponsor every month so it's not like they receive a huge check from one sponsor. If you had an R/C company and there was one guy that really stood out from everyone else wouldn't you want that person to race for you and promote your product to help boost sales?
Old 08-11-2006, 04:58 PM   #32
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Powers
As a former company insider I have seen some checks that have been sent out to certain drivers, 7 figures is totally insane and not even close. Some drivers make more then others and im sure that a lot people would like to know how much a driver makes per month, year or quarter but this is a private business agreement of the individual and the company they are sponsored by. Im sure all of us would love to be able to race an R/C car for a living but the guys that can and do have been very successful in racing and are extremely talented. I hope that none of you think its all fun and games and all these guys do is go to the track everyday and run pack after pack because its not. Part of a contract agreement between manufacture and driver is R&D of the product that the sponsor produces and then you have different contract disputes between the driver and sponsor. Don't forget that most of the big time drivers that we all know and root for at the big races have multiple sponsors and have put there time in racing over the years and got to where they are now because of dedication to this hobby/sport. chances are that they receive a check from more then one sponsor every month so it's not like they receive a huge check from one sponsor. If you had an R/C company and there was one guy that really stood out from everyone else wouldn't you want that person to race for you and promote your product to help boost sales?
Well Said.
Punched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 05:02 PM   #33
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I would be very surprised if any current team driver is making six figures, at least on driving alone. Just like in most sports, the real money comes from marketing tie ins, product sponsorship, and other work for the company. I would imagine there are a few whose R&D work + driving + product naming rights approach that figure.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:04 PM   #34
Tech Regular

Do any factory drivers own a viper or a gt-40? I think what they get paid is non of your business.
gotyournumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 05:11 PM   #35
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i think as semi-public figures, the curiosity is valid. i would expect a 'factory' pilot to get a base salary of 32-50k for their 'weekly jobs'. but then you get other sponsors aboard, maybe 250-500 per month for batteries and motors, maybe a chassis deal for a separate class that your primary sponsor doesn't race, bonuses from race performances, naming/endorsement deals, etc. it can add up to be a pretty penny.

i would think as more companies compete in more scales/classes, and as the industry consolidates as a whole, it will be interesting to see where people end up (ie drake leaving ofna to run the losi 8). makes me wonder if losi compensates him more for his lost revenue from ofna(?). maybe ttr will ask/require/pay their 1/10 electric racers to run ttr instead of kyosho in 1/8 buggy going forward... i would think as an exec of ttr, you hate to be paying a driver mid-5 figures and have them competing against your chassis at 1/8 events.
gee-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 05:17 PM   #36
Tech Regular

i think the fact of the matter is that pro drivers do not make that much money, if there actual salaries were posted the drivers would lose an incredible amount of glamour, that is why no one will ever say only speculate numbers from 10k to 7 figures (7 figures is retarded to even suggest). in all other forms of professional sports athletes salaries are a public affair especially when its an outragous number like professional baseball or basketball, this gives these athletes glamour. it makes millions of kids want to be them for making millions by playing a game.

if you told someone a pro driver makes less from there sponsor than the manager of taco bell. pro drivers kind of lose there glamour. fact is the real payment to a pro driver is knowing there one of the best in there sport and the best payment is the fact that most of the pro drivers under 25 get to travel around the world and that is an invaluable experience and a great oppertuntity for a young person.

if your looking to make money r/c is not for you, try real estate instead (real estate is a job where you make a ton of money for not really doing anything)
Rocket42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 05:29 PM   #37
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maestro
Again, we are talking about the elite of the elite. Not all of it is necessarily from direct salary. Some is bonuses, some is royalties, some is endorsements. I am talking total compensation.

WOW ARE YOU WAY OFF!!!
DR VOODOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 05:30 PM   #38
Tech Master

I think at one time, Jim Dieter and I did the math on the # of hours we spent traveling to/from races, the time we spent at the track each day and the time we spent testing/develping between races and with our given salary's we made about $1.35per hour....... I only know of 1 r/c driver who's cleared 6 fig (barely) and it was after having a career year of winning races with tons of bonus $$ (It definatly wasn't me, I know that!!)....
Old 08-11-2006, 05:42 PM   #39
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul
I think at one time, Jim Dieter and I did the math on the # of hours we spent traveling to/from races, the time we spent at the track each day and the time we spent testing/develping between races and with our given salary's we made about $1.35per hour....... I only know of 1 r/c driver who's cleared 6 fig (barely) and it was after having a career year of winning races with tons of bonus $$ (It definatly wasn't me, I know that!!)....
Josh i appreciate that,i really did'nt want that to get out
Old 08-11-2006, 06:00 PM   #40
Tech Adept

Josh, you made $1.35/hr.???? no wonder the cars cost so much!!!!!
lonepalm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 06:12 PM   #41
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

[QUOTE=DA_cookie_monst]Maybe he means seven figure salaries...... in Yen, roflol QUOTE]

Pesos actually
KSKT Racing - #1 in SK Racing Chassis
Darkside Motorsports - "WE ARE WHAT'S NEXT." - www.darksidems.com
THE DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 06:18 PM   #42
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maestro
I have heard of some factory drivers as high as - the low seven figures. You have to underestand these guys are the elite of the elite. Think of F1 drivers and how they are compensated, compared to say a midget driver. Normal, lowly, club racers are the midget racers of the RC world.
I think that you sources have mislead you. The majority of the companies in this industry do not have SALES of over $1,000,000 per year, let alone be able to pay someone that is not even the owner a salary remotely in that range

Eric Dimmick
Owner
Darkside Motorsports
KSKT Racing - #1 in SK Racing Chassis
Darkside Motorsports - "WE ARE WHAT'S NEXT." - www.darksidems.com
THE DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 06:51 PM   #43
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

If being a pro R/C driver led to 7 digit salaries, you'd see a whole lot of different people considered "top" drivers than you do today. That kind of money would lead a lot more people into competitive racing. If the top guy is making over a million, the lower tier guys should at least make 1/10th of that, which again would lead a lot more people into competitive racing.

See Also: CPL.

What I'm more curious about is how many top R/C drivers come from privileged families, making it easier for them to focus on driving cars for low salaries rather than working their way up in a field with a more clearly defined career path.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:36 PM   #44
Tech Rookie

back in the day of the "Josh Cyrul Legal Defense Fund" , google it and read the cached page , Josh had his contract with trinity up on the site. from what I remember in the files it was something like $3000 to $3500 a month and stuff like $1500 to $2000 for winning major races. that was 2004 and one of the best 10 drivers in the world. but that was also some other stuff like was said about royalities for his name on cars and stuff. I think it was called the Cyrul Killer. but then it just got ugly on the other stuff. but the suit was over proformance and getting paid and bodies.
Rotten Peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:43 PM   #45
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten Peach
back in the day of the "Josh Cyrul Legal Defense Fund" , google it and read the cached page , Josh had his contract with trinity up on the site. from what I remember in the files it was something like $3000 to $3500 a month and stuff like $1500 to $2000 for winning major races. that was 2004 and one of the best 10 drivers in the world. but that was also some other stuff like was said about royalities for his name on cars and stuff. I think it was called the Cyrul Killer. but then it just got ugly on the other stuff. but the suit was over proformance and getting paid and bodies.

What was the outcome of this lawsuit aganst Cyrul?
403forbidden is offline   Reply With Quote