Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Electronic Speed Controllers and Motor Turns? >

Electronic Speed Controllers and Motor Turns?

Electronic Speed Controllers and Motor Turns?

Old 08-11-2006, 10:03 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Electronic Speed Controllers and Motor Turns?

So I blew my Duratrax Streak ESC (forward only, 12+ turn limit) tonight. I've had it for a few years, and parts of it are starting to melt. I have a Trinity Pro Kobal 13T double motor.
I'm looking to get a new ESC, preferably one with reverse and low, to no motor limit. I don't need anything too crazy. I'm looking at the Associated A.I. Automatic Bullet Reversible ESC. It has forward/reverse/brake and no motor limit for $90 at Tower Hobbies. Has anyone heard anything about it, and how it's supposed to be?
I've also forgotten some of my knowledge about these electric motors and the turns. Lower turns = faster but shorter battery life... higher turns = slower but more torque and longer life? how would a stock (27T) motor be compared to my 13T double? and can someone explain the single, double, triple, etc?
TIA
Old 08-11-2006, 10:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

"I'm looking at the Associated A.I. Automatic Bullet Reversible ESC. It has forward/reverse/brake and no motor limit for $90 at Tower Hobbies."

I cant really help u with that since i have not use one before. But my advice is checkout the sell section in the forum. u'll bound to find some recent phase out top range speedy for sell at decent price.

"I've also forgotten some of my knowledge about these electric motors and the turns. Lower turns = faster but shorter battery life... higher turns = slower but more torque and longer life? how would a stock (27T) motor be compared to my 13T double? and can someone explain the single, double, triple, etc?"

Generally a lower turn motor is a faster motor and has more torque. Anything below 19t will start chewing batts run-time quicker. single, double, triple, etc means the number of wires used to wrap around the armature. the more wire used the smoother the motor (and slightly higher rpm), where as the less wire used the more torque (this is compared to the same number of turn motor).

-note to moderator- Is it possible to put a sticky on one of those thread that has all the notes for beginer or thread on motor in general?
Old 08-11-2006, 11:48 PM
Tech Rookie

well how much slower would a 19T be than my 13T double modified? i like my current speed.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

A properly geared 19 turn would be close to the 13 double in lap speed but the 13 double will have a higher top end
Old 08-12-2006, 04:03 AM
Tech Addict

I saw a used GTX go for 90 the other day...