R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-08-2006, 05:20 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Arrow RC TRF415MSX Marc Rheinard, is it worth it?

Hi guys, I want to buy a top of the line Tamiya 1/10 electric car. Obviously I am not that experienced in the models. Is the TRF415MSX Marc Rheinard kit worth to buy? and does it have hop-up options or it comes modified with no need for any extra part?
If the kit is not worth it, what should be the alternative?
Please Advice
halayli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 07:19 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Burlap

Best to post here for answers:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...06#post2564706
Burlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 02:52 AM   #3
Tech Adept

get a cyclone hara/surikarn version, comes with spool 1 way diff and pulleys roll bars and its just won the worlds and euros within a month. cant be bad!!!
LEE UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 03:23 AM   #4
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to rcnewb2004

I personally don't have the MSX MRE but i just bought a TB EVO 5 and the car ROCKS!

If this car is better than the EVO 5 (which it probably is considering the price tag)... i'd say get it... even just for bragging rights.

But you got it right... the MSX MRE is the top of the line tamiya car. if I didn't want to try the latest tamiya shafty, that would have DEFINATELY been my choice...

Burlap is right, post on the 415 thread... you will get all the answers u need and there will be a lot people who will convince you how cool the new MSX MRE is.
rcnewb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:06 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Nah the original 415 is best for carpet and the pully setup still kills belts when using a spool
Smoking motor.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:35 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

If Tamiya released a DSE 415 then i`ll buy one
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:02 AM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoking motor..
Nah the original 415 is best for carpet and the pully setup still kills belts when using a spool

I am unsure about the belt issue, however, I was led to belive the MSX MRE was set up W/ asphalt racing in mind.
Is the car worth it? Yeah. but where will you be running the car? in races at a local r/c track(carpet or asphalt), on the street or parking lots. Are you prepared to care for the car (i.e. routine mantinence, replacing belts, changing toe in out adj. etc) Are you going to run a modified motor or stick to stock or 19 turn.

these are some questions you will need to ask yourself in determining if this is the right car for you...personnally for your first touring car i would stick w/ a SHAFT driven car(no belts to replace,run in street to practice and not worry about rocks in the pulley,no modified motors to maintian).REMEMBER not to cheap out on the radio either. If you do start w/ a shaft and later decide to change to belt using a good radio you know will help reduce the learing curve of getting a new car on the track.

Hope this helps some. Good luck making a decision!
Dtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 01:57 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If you are running modified, asphalt - Yes!. If you are running anything else on asphalt, the EVO V or TA05 might be the better deal at 20% to 70% less $$$. IMHO
Tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 02:01 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

I'd say it is worth it, however you have to grind down the pretty blue steering rack for it to clear the belt! Because of this, I won't buy the car. for a kit over $500, everything has to be perfect!
hierog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 02:19 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hierog
I'd say it is worth it, however you have to grind down the pretty blue steering rack for it to clear the belt! Because of this, I won't buy the car. for a kit over $500, everything has to be perfect!
Tell us how you really feel please.
HarshGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 03:40 PM   #11
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Any pics of the grinding needed??
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 05:12 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshGuy
Tell us how you really feel please.
LOL, snap some pics of your grind job Harsh! Maybe you should put another belt tensioner on the underside of the belt to push it down towards the lower deck to clear the steering bellcranks.

see ya friday?!!?
Old 08-09-2006, 05:19 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hierog
LOL, snap some pics of your grind job Harsh! Maybe you should put another belt tensioner on the underside of the belt to push it down towards the lower deck to clear the steering bellcranks.

see ya friday?!!?
I didn't "hog out" my bellcranks, I *think* it will be ok without it? But we'll see after I run some packs through her, I'm bringing my dremel out on Friday JIC ...I'll let you grind them if it needs it m-kay?
HarshGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 05:33 PM   #14
Tech Fanatic

cool, that's good to hear. pretty close by the looks of it - hopefully you won't have to grind 'er down. with that, I withdraw my comments about gringing the bell cranks at least until this friday when Harsh's belt snaps
If it clears fine, i might have to plop down the $500 to buy a new kit!!

vic
Old 08-09-2006, 06:00 PM   #15
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Actually, on careful inspection, it is best to grind the bellcranks. I noticed the belt moved up and down slightly when on full lock.

Now you could just make sure you dont use full lock by EPA adjustment on the radio... by I decided not too take the risk.

Any pic of my "grind job"... I've actually taken off more material than needed, but made a pretty neat job of it... might even whip out the polishing equip after the weekend, make a proper job.

In all honesty, unless you know it's there, you won't see it.

And in all honesty... it's a small price to pay.... I've managed to put mine together (bar shocks and radio equip) in one evening, it does go together very well. I especially like the new centre pulley mount (no seperate layshaft, all one-piece), very clever idea.

I know the new steering works really well on the Evo5 (have one of them too ) so this should be just as good... fingers crossed. At the least I expect it to be faster than my current MSX... which is the point

HiH
Ed
Attached Thumbnails
RC TRF415MSX Marc Rheinard, is it worth it?-dscf0022.jpg   RC TRF415MSX Marc Rheinard, is it worth it?-dscf0023.jpg   RC TRF415MSX Marc Rheinard, is it worth it?-dscf0024.jpg   RC TRF415MSX Marc Rheinard, is it worth it?-dscf0027.jpg