R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-27-2003, 01:56 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Fun Factor!!!

You know, when it comes to this argument, everyone only concerns lap times, costs. What about the fun factor? I can come in for a fuel stop every 5 minutes and continuously run in a 40 min main, I would like to see the trouble people go thru with an electric car to run 40 mins (and be at the same speed)!
Old 01-27-2003, 01:57 PM   #17
Tech Initiate

comm cut

Edit: this was supposed to go before you.

Last edited by SegaBowMan; 01-27-2003 at 02:00 PM.
SegaBowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 03:58 PM   #18
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

Sorry, I did try to think of everything. . .obviously I missed something.

But, I really don't think you need a highend charger just for the two 1400 packs for the starter box. Add $20 for the charger and another $20 for a receiver pack charger. . .I think that's about right.

And I didn't put in a comm lathe - something you really want for racing. . .

Yeah, I forgot a discharger. . .although you don't need to discharge 3300's as much. . .you get more punch but less runtime if you discharge them.

It wasn't meant to be exhaustive, but more an eyeopener - I mean, who goes full-bore and buys EVERYTHING all at once and all highend? And if I really wanted to go full highend, I would have gone Turbo 35. . . (man do I want one!!!! )
Old 01-27-2003, 04:01 PM   #19
Tech Fanatic

electric over nitro?

i think thats the first time ive heard that

ive done both but its nitro only for me now

cheaper and more realistic i think
jason102276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 06:13 PM   #20
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Aeon Racer

One thing you all are forgetting is TIRES! Touring cars are tire eaters, and if you have an 1/8th scale nitro, you can count on at least a set a week (at $100 per), more if you want to be competitive. On my Nitro TC3, tires usually last me a month of racing, 2 x 5 min qualifiers and 8 min main each raceday, one raceday per week. Running mod on an electric car will probably require you to put on a new set every 4 or 5 racedays AT MOST. Running stock electric, I've been able to pull out as many as 20 full race days. All are based upon results running on prepared asphault.

Anyway, all in all I would agree that running nitro is cheaper in the long run. If there was a place a better place to do it here in Phoenix, I would run my nitro anyday over any electric car. litespeed-dom said it perfectly:

Quote:
You know, when it comes to this argument, everyone only concerns lap times, costs. What about the fun factor? I can come in for a fuel stop every 5 minutes and continuously run in a 40 min main, I would like to see the trouble people go thru with an electric car to run 40 mins (and be at the same speed)!
Aeon Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 01:02 PM   #21
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

I can agree with you running stock sedan.

but running MOD sedan, I was purchasing one pair of tires and rims per week. . .those went on the rear, rotated the rears to the front and the fronts got split, pulled the inserts and tossed the rest. This was not too unusual (although more people went with four tires per week, raced them and then used them for practice the next week.)

But, yes, tire wear was not included in the above. . .

And 1/10th sedan foams CAN BE less expensive than 1/10th sedan rubber tires when you count the tire, insert and rims. . .