R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Car body brands, which one do like most? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/12446-car-body-brands-one-do-like-most.html)

taybelZ 01-25-2003 08:51 PM

Car body brands, which one do like most?

Just wondering which companys car bodies do you like the most?
I'm just about to get a toyota supra made by tamiya. From what i've seen Tamiya seem to make the best/detailing bodies but also from what i've heard they are pretty fragile and more made for displaying not so much racing.

Anyway would it be correct to conclude that:
(this is gathered from what i have read on these forums, not from personal experience)

HPI = decent details/flexiable body
TAMIYA = excellent details/fragile body
PROTOFORM = low details/flexiable body

also anyone ever seen a 1/10 ae-86 sprinter body?
Never seen them before...

seaball 01-25-2003 09:11 PM

though the protoform bodies all look like they came from the same mold, i like their durability and handling properties. 90% or what's at the track is protoform.

Korey Harbke 01-25-2003 09:12 PM

I like protoform for racing. They are light and they work good. I like all of the yokomo stratuses because they are aggressive handlers. Hpi is a good al arouind body. Tamiya makes a few good bodies, but who wants to screw them up, they look too nice. I had a Tamiya HKS Altezza body and it worked good. Lot's-o downforce. Otherwise I stick with hpi or protoform.

stoopidbstrd 01-25-2003 09:25 PM

i like tamiya, they have the best looking and most detailed bodies. not really for racing though. too fragile. and they cost hella.

ijnek 01-25-2003 09:49 PM

tamiya r the best detailed 1s around,followed by hpi...
jus my views...
hey,if u can collect cars,collect bodyshells hehee,they r so much cheaper...go 4 tamiya's,u definitely wun regret it.

Steevo 01-25-2003 10:26 PM

taybelZ,
I think that your own conclusions are pretty right. Tamiya bodies are reputably the most true to scale and detailed bodies. They are at the top of my list for show bodies. Because of their great detail and very efficient wing designs many also handle very well at the track. They are very brittle though and they usually weigh a lot....
For racing I prefer a HPI body. They seem to deal with Impacts well and have pretty good detail.
Protoform is at the bottom of my list, not because they are no good but l just find the finish a little bit of a let down...

Steevo:tire:

JDM_DOHC_SiR 01-26-2003 06:46 AM

I use use Protoform Stratus 2.0 90% of the time...But Yokomo Just came out with a Dodge Stratus Type-D that is basically the same as the Protoform 2.0 but it has a lighter body and has a tad bit more rear down force:nod: :D Pluse I am pretty hard on Bodies and I have put the Yokomo to the test and it seems to hold up better than the Protoform:weird:

-Dave:sneaky:

NightKidZ 01-26-2003 07:00 AM

TaybelZ :
About the 1/10 AE86 Sprinter (Trueno).
ABC hobbies of Japan do make them.
Three versions of the 86 are available :
1) Levin (fixed lamp)
2) Trueno (popup lamps down)
3) Trueno (popup lamps molded in UP position, includes fake carbon fiber sheet for carbon look bonnet). I think numbner 3 is limited edition hehehehe, and I got one hehehehehe :p
cheers

Darkseid 01-26-2003 07:04 AM

My favorite bodies by far are the HPI bodies. They are surpassed only by Tamiya in the details and decal department. And the difference in price(Tamiya $10-$15 higher) makes the HPI bodies the best detail for price value. They are also very tough. The only gripe I have is that they save their best bodies for 200mm. But now that I'm into nitro sedan, even that isn't a big deal.

I've only had one Tamiya sedan body(Nissan Skyline GT-R) and that came with my TA02 kit back in the day. Since it came with my car, I have no complaints about it. But, I wouldn't buy a Tamiya body, not for racing anyway. The price is just too high. Somebody forgot to tell Tamiya that it is after all just melted plastic!

Protoform/Pro-Line are pretty much born and bred to race. These aren't the bodies you display next a real life car of the same type. In some cases, aside from the decals, the body looks nothing like the real car it was molded after. But, who cares if you plan to lay down some sweet multi-colored paint job on it and race it!

Trinity Reference bodies fit the sedans better than any body I have seen. It seems like the bodies were made specifically for your car! Only problem is, that great fit and feel of the body may only last one race! THESE BODIES ARE THIN!!! And I mean REALLY thin. after you have finished trimming it, the body feels like jello in your hands......SERIOUSLY! And being so thin and light carries with it a price.....CRACKS! Lots of them...which are aquired very easily. I like the bodies, and if I never hit anything I would run them....but....I do hit stuff.

Thats about it on the bodies I've used...