Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Altezza vs. other TA04's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 02:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Altezza vs. other TA04's?

Another question in my prep for the upcoming race season (I know, carpet is going full blast, but parking lot doesn't start 'til april here, and I consider carpet as "parkinglot-prep")

A local racer I really respect suggested getting the Tamiya Altezza TA04-R (58276). Could someone explain how it differs from, say, the TA04-R Pro (58261) chassis kit, or another TA04R?

From what I can tell, the differences are that the Altezza has different caster in the hubs, and a graphite tub chassis, instead of a two deck chassis, which makes it legal for TCS races.

Is that right, and is there anything else? And, most importantly, do those things make enough difference to justify hunting down and ordering an Altezza, vs. running out to the LHS tomorrow & just buying a TA04-R Pro chassis kit?

thanks alot,
dave.
Old 02-27-2003, 02:31 AM
Tech Elite

The TA-04 R Pro doesn't exist - 59261 is the TA-04 Pro - which is a bit old and not worth getting.

The TA-04R (Altezza, Raybrig NSX, Chassis kit as well) chassis are the best value TA04's for racing. The most noticeable difference is the Alloy shocks, but it's just all-round nicer.

Last edited by sosidge; 02-27-2003 at 02:39 AM.
Old 02-27-2003, 02:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Opps!

Sorry! I meant the 58282 TA04-R chassis kit.

So, those three (Altezza, Raybrig NSX, Chassis kit ) are all the same except for the body? That would be very good news...

thanks,
dave.
Old 02-27-2003, 02:43 AM
Tech Elite

As far as I know, all three cars are the same - but Tamiya are known for making tiny deatail changes from car to car, which they may have done with the TA04R as well.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:03 AM
Tech Regular

The Raybrig has the florine(sp?) shocks. Might be worth getting that one as it is the absolute latest

Ok, two cents added ; )
Old 02-27-2003, 08:30 AM
Regional Moderator

One thing that I did notice, from looking at an article in rccar action, is that the Altezza model has the older bottom chassis. The top plate has 8 screws and 2 ball studs holding it down. The 04R chassis kit only has 5 screws holding the top plate as well as 2 ball studs. If you look closely at the picture you can see that there's 2 screws above/front of the battery, these are not on the 04R chassis kit. The chassis that came with the 04R that I have is very light, has cutouts for both the batteries and the motor.

Granted you don't get a body with the chassis kit but that's cool with me because I wouldn't run that beautiful body anyway.

The Raybrig - exactly the same as the chassis kit except that the shocks are newer and it comes with that cool body. The shocks in the 04R chassis kit are top notche so for them to improve on them made them that much better.

I checked with Fred at Tamiya before I purchased my chassis kit, just to make sure that it was legal for GT2 racing. Fred said that it was so I went with the chassis kit as oppose to the 04 Pro.

You should visit the TA04 WooHoo Thread for more information

Last edited by Mike F; 02-27-2003 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The Raybig version is the latest and the Flourine shock and also the new graphite tub are the differences. The new tub allows greater flexibility in placement of electronics and is the stiffest and also has the motor and battery openings.

Also everthing except the front 3 screws for the bumper are countersunk
Old 02-27-2003, 10:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by Difuser
The Raybig version is the latest and the Flourine shock and also the new graphite tub are the differences. The new tub allows greater flexibility in placement of electronics and is the stiffest and also has the motor and battery openings.

Cool, thanks! I just talked to one of the two local race organizers (the outdoor one), and his statement was "any tub chassis" can run in stock, so that pretty much clenches it -- I'm going with the NSX, since the chassis kit has the dual-deck, I think.

My local carpet track doesn't care -- they are "run what you brung", and only limit by motor (19 turn spec), so the NSX works there as well.

Thanks everybody!

dave.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:46 AM
Regional Moderator

Really! Even the top plate screws?
Old 02-27-2003, 10:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

No only the bottom chassis screws
It would be nice if the top were though
If it's non TCS you could countersink them yourself
Old 02-27-2003, 11:00 AM
Regional Moderator

No only the bottom chassis screws
It would be nice if the top were though
If it's non TCS you could countersink them yourself
Nah, I'm keeping mine legal.

That's the same chassis that I got with my 04R chassis kit.