R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-05-2006, 11:48 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to SohcFTTC4 Send a message via MSN to SohcFTTC4 Send a message via Yahoo to SohcFTTC4
Default Question About 64 pitch Gearing on My TC4?????

[color=blue] im new to touring on road , im an offroad guy so
basically i have no idea what im doing with gearing lol... got a 100
tooth spur and a 27 tooth pinion in 64 pitch..running a revolution
10X1...i know its wayyy too much horsepower forpractical uses but i
love speeed.....anywas my old school tekin tsc g-12 is gettin really
really hot like abnormallyhot..im also running sometimes in 100 degree
outdoor heat...could that be the cause of the very quick heat up?? and
i mean quick..im talkin about 2 laps and the goldfets are blazing
hot...im sure its my stupid gear ratio...can someone help me please??

i also have a novak GTB and a valocite 6.5 R and i dont wanna u*k
thhose electronics up untill i know how to gear it properly......in 48
pitch(stock) i was running a 72 too stsock spur and a 21 tooth pinion
and it ran great.....but sounded like crap.....can anyone please help
s nreb in on road unfortuantely my extensive offroad experience cannot
help me on this one[/ color]

''
SohcFTTC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 12:20 PM   #2
Tech Initiate

Default wodnering the same thin

anyone have any answers for my friends question???
strain Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 01:12 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The 100 tooth spur sounds like a good start. For the pinion, I would drop 2 or 3 teeth and work from there. Do you have a temp. gun? The reason I ask is b/c you may want to check the temp. of your motor. I think 160-175 range is about as hot as you want to go. BTW, I put the AE motor fan kit on my TC4 and it worked very well.

Loren
llamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 01:28 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

yes me and my friend SOHC have temp guns..when you say drop down two teeth you mean go from a 27 tooth to a 25 tooth? right?

i was getting excessive heat on both my ESC's (my GTB also had problems wich i recently took off and im sending to novak to make sure its ok and my tekin tsc g-12 gets hot)....like in a very fast 2 lap period...i had to shut it down im gona look at drive train to see if rock is binding something becaus e its vcery strange...im new to electric touring..but ive been doing electric off road for 15 yrs! very strange thanks for the info on the gearing.....that revolution 10X1 is sick fast! my friend has a 7 turn and holy crap!!! we also have the ducted fan kit as well...here some pics of my vehicle

earlier on when i had the 48 pitch 72 tooth spur and a 21 tooth pinion i had very minimal heating wich presented me with o problem..but recently ive had serious problems with my GTB over heating....i noticed the warmth (not super hot )right after i saw one of the three wires on the ON/OFF swich on the GTB was ripped out....then once i got new switch and new gear ratio it was still getting warm, and last time i ran it the brushless motor was nuclear hot and i smelled some burnt plastic smell coming from the GTB..something is wrong ill leave it to the tech guys as far as the GTB is concerned....

ill post my results once i change to a 25 tooth pinion gear, and check the drive train for smooothness, but i really hop i can get my ESC to cool down...

PS does riding around in the HOT south florida summer hear sound like a bad idea? should i run my car in the evening when its cooler? sometimes i cant help myself and wanna take the tc4 to parking lot...but is the heat causing problems??
Attached Thumbnails
Question About 64 pitch Gearing on My TC4?????-tc4-8-5-06-insides.jpg   Question About 64 pitch Gearing on My TC4?????-tc4-8-5-06.jpg   Question About 64 pitch Gearing on My TC4?????-overview-tc4-8-5-06.jpg  

Last edited by strain Fiend; 08-05-2006 at 01:53 PM.
Old 08-05-2006, 02:04 PM   #5
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Associated gives you decent starting gear combinations for their cars in the manuals, drop down a tooth or 2 and watch the motor temp. Go to www.gearchart.com and you can make yourself up some charts....
Old 08-05-2006, 02:11 PM   #6
Tech Initiate

unfortunately i forgot to mention some very very sasd events...last night i broke my futaba 3pj ive had for well over 15 years...its won me countless weekend events countless TQ's and awesome finishes...needless to say this radio has seeen some vintage RC vehicles come and go and now sad to say its broken so i wont be able to do an RC-ing untill i replace it with a futaba 3pk...illl post a pic of the battle scarred radio soon sad day!
Old 08-05-2006, 02:16 PM   #7
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl1180ny
Associated gives you decent starting gear combinations for their cars in the manuals, drop down a tooth or 2 and watch the motor temp. Go to www.gearchart.com and you can make yourself up some charts....
yea associated gives you 48 pitch gear ratios...im looking for 64 pitch its quie a difference..but thanks anyways

thanks for that gear ration chart...butim a newb man i really dont know how to use that chart..it seems a bit advanced for my purposes..thanks anyways again
Old 08-05-2006, 02:50 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to SohcFTTC4 Send a message via MSN to SohcFTTC4 Send a message via Yahoo to SohcFTTC4

alright strain Fiend im bring all my pinion gears so u can drop down a couple teeth. also ill bring u my old MX-3 to use for now.

lets hope Novaks info was right about my problem with my GTB & 3PK problem.

just so u guys know im running a FT TC4 with GTB & Vantage 7x1 mod motor crazy fast(gotta love that need for speed). running 64 pitch spur, number of teeth no clue came on TC4, also have a 24 tooth pinion. batteries GP3700 & peak Racing GP4300. KoPropo Servo for turning.

not a bad setup for my first touring car in many years.

thanks all for ur replys.
Old 08-05-2006, 03:33 PM   #9
Tech Initiate

bump bump..can someone give me an answer?? what is the best gear ratio for outdoor asphalt rubber tire LOTT bashing....i have a tsc g-12 ESC, 3700's, and a team orion 10X1 revolution 2 motor ..currently running 64 pich 100tspur/27t pinion is this a decent gear ratio??? any help would be awesome( im sorry i shoulda posted this during the week , everyone is probably out racing!!!) heres a shot of my poor 3pj...damn futaba builds awesome stuff

SOHC thanks bro!! u got my back!! thank got for that extra radio even tho it is a piece of crap lol
Attached Thumbnails
Question About 64 pitch Gearing on My TC4?????-radio-broken.jpg  
Old 08-05-2006, 10:09 PM   #10
Tech Initiate

BUMP BUMP is a 100t spur and a 27 t piniona good ratio for a 10x1 orioin motor on a tc4?? anyone else? and if my ESC gets super hot does that mean my esc or motor is bad? heeeelp?
Old 08-06-2006, 12:40 AM   #11
Tech Initiate

i changed motors and added my friends MX-3 radio system... i then opened up the end bell on my revolution to find a piece was loose..it was some copped strip that obviosly came loose on one side (the other side is mounted on the polar end)...il post some pics of the damage soon hope fully someone can tell me how to fix it..or if i just need a new end bell.

After installing radio and motor, i charged a brand new GP3700 with my super brain, peaked and ready i hit my 'clean' area of my parking lot where hardly any cars are parked...the ambient outside temp was in the low 80's, after a few decent sized laps the motor was warm and so was the ESC, i then drove for a solid two minutes....kinda pushing the car around corners sometimes sliding out..someimes making some really nice high speed sweepers....eventually i did do soe drifting on my soares 28r's and it was fun till i pulled my car in to find the motor was nuclear hot....so like within three minutes motor was blazing...but i meanit wasnt blazing that bad....the ESC was pretty warm tho..that did worry me....

the ESC is an old tds g12 and is getting warm is this normal?? i mean im running an OLD trinity D3 13X3..since the revolution(10x1)i had on previously might be outta commision. the car had excellent speed and picked up great so im decently satisfied in my gearing even tho i have no clue if its right. should i worry about my esc getting too hot?? or is it normal with these old ESC's and powerful new batteries.

my friend sohc has even worse problems i feel bad..i am at least driving and the car actually felt good...my poor friend dutch got the new futaba 3pk and ever since then he cant get his novak GTB to work ropely...i guess well both be sending our GTB's to the shop(im almost realy to get a sphere next time!)
Attached Thumbnails
Question About 64 pitch Gearing on My TC4?????-lous-whipp.jpg  
Old 08-06-2006, 01:54 AM   #12
Tech Rookie

its either do that or sell all my stuff, which rea;;y dont feel like doing....

i guess i start a new thread with my problems. so if any RCTech ppl can help me out....
Old 08-06-2006, 01:57 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strain Fiend
yea associated gives you 48 pitch gear ratios...im looking for 64 pitch its quie a difference..but thanks anyways
Well the gears are "quite a difference" but the ratio itself should be the same...

AE says on a 10x1 to run a 72 spur and a 21 pinion which is an 8.57 ratio!

So with a 100 spur you would want to use a 29 pinion for a 8.62 ration.

So you are actually undergeared if you are using a 100/27. That will cause heat as well..

Hope this helps.

To find ANY gear ratio its spur/pinionXinternal gear ratio (2.5 on the TC4)

so for the 64 pitch its 100/29=3.44 3.44x2.5=8.62 ratio

for the 48 its- 72/21=3.42 3.42X2.5=8.57 ratio

Last edited by imprsme; 08-06-2006 at 02:07 AM.
imprsme is offline   Reply With Quote