Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 09:45 PM
Tech Adept

Default Which tires?

I'm racing on road tomorrow. The temp is expected to be around 96 with humidity 63%. What tires should I run? My LHS carries RP and take off's.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Red face Tires,tires, tires!

I'm assuming you mean the air temp and not the track temp. If the air temp is 96 degrees then the track itself will be at least 120-150 depending on the time of day. If this is the case then RP-30, or RP-32's should work!
I haven't even considered what insert to use! Both brands have pre-mounted tires so if that's the case then use what they got. If not, then a general rule of thumb the harder the insert the higher the temp. the insert can handle!
Take-off 27's might work in the early mourning but in the afternoon they will probably overheat and you'll loose traction. When the track gets that hot a high a temp tire is required. Usually the higher the number the hotter tire temp rating.
For example: Sorex 28's are for cooler temp track, then a Sorex-40 is for a very high temp track!
I hope I was of some help! Then again, ask the local racers at the track what they are using and they should be knowledgeable on what tires work!
Don't forget first and formost HAVE FUN!!!