Wiki Posts
Search

IFMAR AGM in Collegno - Future of ISTC

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 11:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default IFMAR AGM in Collegno - Future of ISTC

The 2006 IFMAR Electric On-Road AGM was held at the Worlds last week in Italy.

Could those who were present please inform us a bit about what was discussed?

I understand there was some discussion about the ISTC class going to 4 cells to control the speeds? Was LIPO batteries discussed?

Any decision where the 2008 IFMAR Worlds will be?

Thanks for any info.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:43 PM
Tech Addict

No decision on the 2008 Worlds, just known that it's going to be in the FEMCA block (Asia).

Lot's of things were discussed how to limit the power!
Old 07-10-2006, 12:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

why would you want to limit the power? the drivers at the worlds are the best of the best. that would be like putting a restricter plate on a formula 1 car.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by burito
No decision on the 2008 Worlds, just known that it's going to be in the FEMCA block (Asia).

Lot's of things were discussed how to limit the power!
Why the big issue over the power,any reports of people gettin hurt? whats the big deal,where not racing F1 cars , if this sport were to put lives at risk than ok but if not leave it alone
Old 07-10-2006, 12:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by kyle "hitawall"
why would you want to limit the power? the drivers at the worlds are the best of the best. that would be like putting a restricter plate on a formula 1 car.
on the same page Kyle
Old 07-10-2006, 01:06 PM
TLRacing

The reason that 4 or 5 cells was brought up was simply to reduce the heat issues we are experiencing in TC racing with 6 cells. There was not a decision made just an idea brought up. In A2 Hohwart was leading and his ESC shut off. Also in A2 Drescher's speedo went into thermal shutdown. Also the concern is that the cars are too fast. It is hard for people to drive these cars at the speeds they are going today. With that being said, it is hard for new comers to jump into the sport and have the ability to drive a car that goes 45-50mph.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by T. Hodge
The reason that 4 or 5 cells was brought up was simply to reduce the heat issues we are experiencing in TC racing with 6 cells. There was not a decision made just an idea brought up. In A2 Hohwart was leading and his ESC shut off. Also in A2 Drescher's speedo went into thermal shutdown. Also the concern is that the cars are too fast. It is hard for people to drive these cars at the speeds they are going today. With that being said, it is hard for new comers to jump into the sport and have the ability to drive a car that goes 45-50mph.
Ok I see your point
Old 07-10-2006, 01:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Only way to decrease the speeds are taking away the horsepower...aka a cell or two. Atm, 1 is enough. In 8-10 years, 4 cells should be enough (if we ain't using Lipo, mind...)
Old 07-10-2006, 01:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by T. Hodge

Honestly, I see what you're saying but totally disagree. ESC's going into thermal shutdown...send the ESC makers back to the drawing table to fix it. I think the Formula 1 analogy is right on. That's like saying limit Formula 1 racing to 65mph because that's all people can drive here in the US.

Don't dumb it down. People are dumb enough already.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:22 PM
Tech Elite

The problem with loosing 1 cell or even 2 from a NiMh pack is that it effectively knock out the possibility of LiPo from racing. With a LiPo you have either a 1 cell 3.7v pack or a 2 cell 7.4v pack. Unless you're going to run a voltage regulator you're SOL....

I'm actually curious how my 12th scale would run on a 1 cell LiPo, I'd probably have radio issues without a reciever pack.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
Honestly, I see what you're saying but totally disagree. ESC's going into thermal shutdown...send the ESC makers back to the drawing table to fix it. I think the Formula 1 analogy is right on. That's like saying limit Formula 1 racing to 65mph because that's all people can drive here in the US.

Well Said
Old 07-10-2006, 01:29 PM
Tech Regular

I really dont think it's an issue personately. I understand some people can't handle the horsepower of mod racing, so thats what 19T are for.

However, if you really wanna pony down, look at F1 for example. They cut off two cylinders to go slower. That decreased the topspeed by almost 20mph. Same in RC; take a cell away and you decrease speeds.

IF they do enforce the rule, dont plan on it taking effect until the worlds in 4 years time...car and electronic manufactors needs time to adjust.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Todd, the heat"" issues that a minor few experienced is either down to unsuitable gearing/usage or poor quality, what about the other 90+% who didn't have any problems? I fail to see how one can justify such a potentially huge impact on the basis of just a few. Any change in this area will inevitably have an impact on chassis layout and design, and so "new" cars and costs will once again materialise. Secondly, there is also the impact on the other 2 classes, that in themselves outnumber modified right across the world from street basher to club racer and nationals, depending on the country. This is the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS we are talking about, with the best drivers in the world, this has absolutely nothing to do with "new comers"........again, I fail to see the relationship between the two OR the relevance. Individual countries are still free to limit motors etc as they see fit, so what on earth has this to do with the WC?

This is the second time to my knowledge that this has been brought up at IFMAR, and the last time, as I understood it, it was said to go away and come back with supporting facts and proposals. I guess this is a game of bring it up enough times and something will get passed eventually.......I for one would like to hear exactly who keeps bring it up, why, and and some real facts about it!
Old 07-10-2006, 01:35 PM
X2
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by modeltech
Todd, the heat"" issues that a minor few experienced is either down to unsuitable gearing/usage or poor quality, what about the other 90+% who didn't have any problems? I fail to see how one can justify such a potentially huge impact on the basis of just a few. Any change in this area will inevitably have an impact on chassis layout and design, and so "new" cars and costs will once again materialise. Secondly, there is also the impact on the other 2 classes, that in themselves outnumber modified right across the world from street basher to club racer and nationals, depending on the country. This is the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS we are talking about, with the best drivers in the world, this has absolutely nothing to do with "new comers"........again, I fail to see the relationship between the two OR the relevance. Individual countries are still free to limit motors etc as they see fit, so what on earth has this to do with the WC?

This is the second time to my knowledge that this has been brought up at IFMAR, and the last time, as I understood it, it was said to go away and come back with supporting facts and proposals. I guess this is a game of bring it up enough times and something will get passed eventually.......I for one would like to hear exactly who keeps bring it up, why, and and some real facts about it!
Bravo
Old 07-10-2006, 01:42 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr

That was a pretty stupid answer.
Who say they canīt do there job? Can you do it better? Didnīt thought so either.
I understand the power of the new cells have been increased quite much just over the last few months and most ESCīs have been designed before that.
This is not F1 with billion dollar budgets. This is RC cars. We need rules and parts that works for everything between local club races and world championship races.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.