R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-24-2003, 05:37 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default best comm and tire lathe

What is the best tire or comm lathe.

1. I know about the automatic lathes but are they really neccessary.

2. Is trueing comms and tires difficult.

3. Also what are some good tire and comm lathes and what should i expect to pay for a good one of each.

Thanks
warlord385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 06:07 PM   #2
Tech Addict

1.no
2.no very easy
3.trinity 3 lathe with a dimond bit for tires I would go for the hudy.
teamAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 06:40 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

Good info on lathes if you read the whole thread:

http://www.rccars.com/forums/showthr...=&threadid=374

From the info in there, it sounds as if diamond bits are not really all that. Copper is soft and easy to cut, and HSS or carbide actually cut just as well as diamond, just diamond stays sharp longer...but can chip and destroy an expensive bit.

From the sounds of this, and talking to some of the machinists we use at work, they both seem to agree that someone with little to no machining experience is much better off with HSS or carbide bits which won't be totally ruined if you set them up incorrectly. HSS and carbide tips are very robust and more forgiving to an inexperienced machinist. Also, when you can get them for $5 or so, you'd have to be cutting a LOT of comms before you'd be getting a better return on investment with a diamond tip.
Concillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 07:55 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

no you dont really need automatic comm or tire lathes.

i have the true lathe 3 and use carbide bits i just resharpen when they get dull. if i had to get a new lathe i would go for one of the hudy lathes.

i have the ac hudy tire truer and have absolutly no complaints. i love the thing! i would definatly recommend a hudy brand tire truer as well.

[email protected]
Jarrod Langlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 10:15 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to KINGZJ

I like and use the trinity true lathe 3. It works very well.

For tire truer I just purchased the Integy truer and I just trued up 4 pairs of touring tires on it and it worked very well. Its quiet and smooth. I would like to see a better cutting bit I am going to try and put the hudy one on their. It also does not require much power to run it either. I have a very old 6 amp power supply that I keep at work and it was more than enough to power the truer. After truing all my tires the motor was not even warm at all so it must be a good match. For the money I don't think you can get a better one the hudy one is going to set you back close to $500 for the automatic one I have $130 into mine with purchasing 2 sets of arbors.
KINGZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 10:42 AM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

IMHO diamond bits are worth the extra money. I purchased my Twister lathe with a diamond bit used over 10 years ago and it still cuts perfectly to this day. The bit has to have at least 12 years on it
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 09:00 PM   #7
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to myclod Send a message via Yahoo to myclod

one thing the new guys need to keep in mind when they get a comm lathe....HAVE SOMEONE EXPERIENCED SHOW YOU THE INS AND OUTS OF USING IT.....it is REAL easy to do more harm to your motor than good if you do not know what you are doing (like cutting TOO much off, or moving the bit too fast or too slow across the comm)
myclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 09:04 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

most all of the tire truers out there are excellent but you do get what you pay for when you get a hudy.

[email protected]
Jarrod Langlois is offline   Reply With Quote