R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-04-2006, 11:10 AM   #151
TEM
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by builthatch
i also am severly interested in this type of info. in another thread, i asked-

"I use a Trinity D-90 for my IB4200's, but i want to cycle my IB750 AAA's that i use for my mini-z and the products that are out there, such as the PN Racing discharger board are of inconsistent quality and function.

I have a nice digi multimeter and some ability. I know there has to be something in writing on how to use maybe some bulbs, resistors, diodes, a pot and some breadboard to make a nice discharger.

Is there anything out there that i can make that would have a 1amp discharge rate and cutoff at .9 or .7 volts, individually? I'd like to do 4 cells at once time, but bring each down individually to the cutoff voltage.

thanks!"
The circuit is VERY simple!, don't use diodes, use an opamp circuit to do the monitoring of the voltages and is much more accurate and you can calibrate it to the voltage you want. A mosfet can be your "switch" to a load resistor.
TEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 12:27 PM   #152
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to builthatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEM
The circuit is VERY simple!, don't use diodes, use an opamp circuit to do the monitoring of the voltages and is much more accurate and you can calibrate it to the voltage you want. A mosfet can be your "switch" to a load resistor.
hmm, is there a schematic available for this type of setup? I have a very limited knowledge of specialized electronic bits, but i am very adept at soldering and have a basic knowledge of electric theory and application.

I am very interested in building this.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:11 PM   #153
TEM
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by builthatch
hmm, is there a schematic available for this type of setup? I have a very limited knowledge of specialized electronic bits, but i am very adept at soldering and have a basic knowledge of electric theory and application.

I am very interested in building this.
I'm looking for data on what frequency and wave form is good for pulse discharging IB's at 30amps so I can then draw my own schematics. Honestly if you found a couple books on electronics and read about mosfets or biasing transistors you can design your own. Also, do a google search on ESC schematics and you can rip from that! Also look for opamp voltage monitor or voltage comparators and it's self explanatory. You will need to calculate some resistor values and calibrate the circuit to work on the voltage you want to trip at.
TEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 12:36 AM   #154
Tech Elite

Send a message via MSN to ProudSavageOwnr Send a message via Yahoo to ProudSavageOwnr

some of you guys on the previous page said that silver compound is expensive? i bought a 5g tube i think which is 25% silver....i think thats enough dont u think? lol......for about 6 bucks at jaycar..

www.jaycar.com.au

i am still curious how to get frost.....AND on the COLD side of the peltier around 1/4 of the peltier on the corner that the black lead is connected it gets hot? not cold? is this normal?
Raptor G4 ,Raptor e550,Gaui x5,Mini titan v2,Precision aerobatics bandit 4s monster,Carbon z scimitar Jr 11x
ProudSavageOwnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 02:25 AM   #155
Tech Master

I found the schematics for the equalizer tray I made some time ago. I got the plans from a site called Sanj's Yokomo RC Homepage that doesnt exist anymore that I know of so I dont think hell mind me posting them. I got plans for a few other things off of there too If I can find em. I know one was tire warmers Ill have to find that one for ya all. I bought everything from Radio Shack and I do remember I used 2 diodes to speed up the discharge time. The first page is a simple tray without LED's the rest is a tray with LED's. I had an old shell from a trinity tray I used worked sweet. Tray cuts out at .6v
Attached Thumbnails
DIY RC stuff-pic-2.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Page 1.pdf (368.9 KB, 269 views)
File Type: pdf Page 2.pdf (249.3 KB, 241 views)
File Type: pdf Page 3.pdf (390.9 KB, 218 views)
File Type: pdf Page 4.pdf (400.8 KB, 207 views)

Last edited by Speedie; 12-08-2006 at 04:24 AM.
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 02:27 AM   #156
Tech Master

heres a top pic
Attached Thumbnails
DIY RC stuff-pic-1.jpg  
Old 12-05-2006, 05:54 AM   #157
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudSavageOwnr
some of you guys on the previous page said that silver compound is expensive? i bought a 5g tube i think which is 25% silver....i think thats enough dont u think? lol......for about 6 bucks at jaycar..

www.jaycar.com.au

i am still curious how to get frost.....AND on the COLD side of the peltier around 1/4 of the peltier on the corner that the black lead is connected it gets hot? not cold? is this normal?
Regarding silver, we were talking about material for the clamp.
No that is not normal, Although if the hot side get too hot your peltier could get overwhelmed and it will all start getting warm.
What is the spec of the peltier? are you running it at the correct voltage?
Make sure the peltier is seated correctly onto the heatsink with thermal compound.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:27 AM   #158
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Jam-ehz

Actually, it's the thermal adhesive that's expensive.. thermal compound in the $5 tube is much cheaper, but is like grease and won't help keep it together.

B3Buggy is right about the 'warm' corner of the cold side.. make sure every bit of the surface is compounded and in contact with the heatsink.

Also, I've had a peltier dropped on the ground and it started doing that to a corner near the wire as well. Clamping it too tight can also cause this, as I've found.. Needless to say I've been though 3 or 4 peltiers in the past few years..
Old 12-06-2006, 12:22 AM   #159
Tech Elite

Send a message via MSN to ProudSavageOwnr Send a message via Yahoo to ProudSavageOwnr

the thermal compound i got from jaycar works realy good.......and its pretty hard to pull the parts apart unless u slide em apart....which is still abit hard..

has ne1 thought bout making their own dyno? like a real size dyno......but a small 1 to test fuel mixtures etc...since u cant turn on radios in the pits u can chuck the car on a dyno and stuff around with the fuel mixtures while the car is stationary.....
Raptor G4 ,Raptor e550,Gaui x5,Mini titan v2,Precision aerobatics bandit 4s monster,Carbon z scimitar Jr 11x
ProudSavageOwnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 03:14 PM   #160
Tech Apprentice

Cool Battery Box

Hi guys,
Just finished this battery box, has got 5 cells (6v) to power our tyre warmers while taking them to the track, or anything else(comm lathe etc.)
Has got my Brother's paint scheme on the lid .
Only a simple little thing.

Ross
Attached Thumbnails
DIY RC stuff-img_0517.jpg   DIY RC stuff-img_0509.jpg  

Last edited by b3buggy; 12-30-2006 at 07:47 AM.
b3buggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 04:12 PM   #161
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Custom tire warmer
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2007, 06:56 AM   #162
Tech Apprentice

can someone post instructions on how to make a power distribution box
thanks
birdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:06 PM   #163