R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-01-2006, 07:03 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Stock motor temps.

I have a question as to what the nominal tempature range is for a stock motor after a 6 minute race. I have been told tempature ranges from 125 all the way up to 220. To me this sounds like to much of a temp. difference. I have just recently bought an Xray fk05 and the last time I raced it the temp. was in the 160 to 175 range with a fan mounted on a heatsink. To me it just seems as if that is to hot. The track that I run on is about 50' x 30 with one straight that comes out of a sweeper and the rest of the track is turns in the infield. With the gearing the Im running I seem to be on pace with the rest of the drivers. The motors that Im using now is the trinty CO 27. Any help would be appericated.

Thanks,
Steve
srp67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 07:17 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

I was searching on this subject last week and read a lot of posts that said just worry about gearing that nets you the fastest lap times and don't worry about temp.

As far as temp I was just told by the LHS to check the brushes for discoloration. If they're discolored your too hot. From what I've read though your temps don't seem to be outrageous. Have you done much searching on this?

OnRoadColorado.com
Colorado On Road RC Club
SlamMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 07:22 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking "The smoking gun" I mean motor!

In my humble opinion, I try not to get the motor any hotter than 190 deg. F.

Once you get above that, you start to smell of melting electronics. I normally gear the motor to lap times and the temp. usually doing it this way doesn't go much over 180.
If you want to go fast you will have to push the motors close to the limit to be competitive but not go crazy and smoke the motor either. There is that fine line that you don't want to cross! I believe 190 is that line!
Just my2$
"Tamiya Racer to Infinity and Beyond!"
maxepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 07:23 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Z.Hallett

if you smell any burning or the stack and windings are burnt or the tag is brownish the motor is toast. after every run as soon as the run is over with, pick up your car, spit on your finger and wipe it on the motor. good temp is when the spit sizzles off after 2-3 seconds, that is a good temp. to shoot for.

also for gearing you want your motor to wind out about 2/3 - 3/4 down the straight, unless the infield is really tight, then you can drop a tooth or two to be safe.

your motor can overheat by being over- or undergeared, so start with the winding out of the straight to find a good starting point in your roll-out.
Z.Hallett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 07:24 PM   #5
Tech Master

The magnets that Trinity uses will lose power if they get too hot.
XrayFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 07:28 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Z.Hallett

XrayFK: you would lose a little torque but gain a very slight boost in rpm due to the fact that there is less magnetic drag.
Z.Hallett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 07:30 PM   #7
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.Hallett
XrayFK: you would lose a little torque but gain a very slight boost in rpm due to the fact that there is less magnetic drag.
I know, that is why Trinity uses weaker magnets in the first place. The Orion/Reedy stock armatures are over-powered by the magnets.
XrayFK is offline   Reply With Quote