R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-11-2007, 09:43 PM   #1471
Tech Master
 
jag88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,075
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportpak View Post
Cool, so I'll keep buying IB cells every month to maintain that slight advantage that only matters to top 3% national level drivers and professional bench racers.

I like knowing what I have, every run, every cycle, every 100th cycle. Stay off the boards two less times a run and you more then made up for that graph.
In different words, I believe Trakpower used a nonrepresntive Nimh discharge curve to compare to their products discharge curve. If I was thinking of switching to Lipo and if I was a racer I would like to see such a comparison. Looking at that graph and knowing what my Nimh curves look like then I would be wondering how Trakpower made that mistake.
jag88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:57 PM   #1472
Tech Regular
 
GymBeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Losi|Novak|MuchMore
Posts: 434
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag88 View Post
In different words, I believe Trakpower used a nonrepresntive Nimh discharge curve to compare to their products discharge curve. If I was thinking of switching to Lipo and if I was a racer I would like to see such a comparison. Looking at that graph and knowing what my Nimh curves look like then I would be wondering how Trakpower made that mistake.
i suppose there catering towards the newbies and bashers, but anyone who is serious about racing would know that the graph trakpower gives is deceptive.

no self respecting battery matcher would sell IB's with a discharge curve like that
GymBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:39 AM   #1473
Tech Fanatic
 
kuzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 948
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymBeam View Post
i suppose there catering towards the newbies and bashers, but anyone who is serious about racing would know that the graph trakpower gives is deceptive.

no self respecting battery matcher would sell IB's with a discharge curve like that
Again, you can't use discharge curves from a low 20 amp discharge rate to compare lipos to nimh. Lipos do not respond to constant current in a favorable way. When was the last time you drove your car at a constant 20 amp rate for the life of the battery?
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:22 AM   #1474
Tech Regular
 
GymBeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Losi|Novak|MuchMore
Posts: 434
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Again, you can't use discharge curves from a low 20 amp discharge rate to compare lipos to nimh
and why not? because it doesnt reflect well on lipos? because the people who sell lipos say you can't?

Last edited by GymBeam; 07-12-2007 at 07:41 AM.
GymBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:31 AM   #1475
Tech Fanatic
 
kuzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 948
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymBeam View Post
and why not? because it doesnt reflect well on lipos? because the people who sell lipos say you can't?
Mainly because it doesn't reflect how that battery will operate in a real world environment. We don't race our cars at a low constant current, why do we expect our batteries to perform perfectly at unrealistic conditions? You are taking a test that gives dependable information from one type of battery and applying it to something new and expecting accurate results. And you can continue to insist otherwise as it seems your mind is made up anyway. The people who are using these batteries will continue to be happy without your approval of them.

And please, the lipo manufacturers are not saying you can't use them and have admitted they don't look as good at a 20A discharge. This has been discussed many times in many threads here. It's not some big conspiracy to convince people to overlook that info.
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:16 AM   #1476
Tech Fanatic
 
kuzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 948
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo
Default

This is the quote I was looking for:

Quote:
Originally Posted by linger
It's really not a relevant test to compare Lipo vs Nimh voltage. The average voltage is just an average voltage at a single discharge rate. In reality, a 2 cell Lipo has a lower nominal voltage but also a much lower DC Internal resistance than a 6 cell Nimh.
In RC applications, that means it you use a Lipo to race a low current mabuchi class, the voltage of a Nimh will far outclass a Lipo. In modified, the higher current drain puts the clear advantage to Lipo. A lipo will maintain most of its voltage under 40, 50, 60, 70, 80...hell, a 20C kokam 3200 can do 128 amps for a few seconds and stay above 6V.
This is from the "Viewing LiPo vs NiMH- Different perspective" thread from a few months ago and explains it far better than I can.
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:01 AM   #1477
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

My jackass sense is tingling.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:31 PM   #1478
Tech Master
 
sportpak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ft Wayne, IN
Posts: 1,314
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Whatever your argument, I run them, in race conditions, every week in TC and 2wd buggy. I love them and don't feel I'm at any disadvantage. If anything, I feel that I have an advantage. I'm sure some other dudes on here will say the same thing. What is gonna carry more weight? A graph nobody believes is fair or accurate, or people that actually have experience with them under real conditions? REAL conditions.
__________________
-Tamiya TA05-R - Tamiya M05 - Summit Raceway Ft. Wayne, IN

www.summitrcraceway.com
sportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:06 PM   #1479
Tech Regular
 
GymBeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Losi|Novak|MuchMore
Posts: 434
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

actually lots of people say with these orions u have to gear up a couple of teeth pinion becaseu they feel flat otherwise
GymBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:12 PM   #1480
Tech Legend
 
Wild Cherry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: TRCR Modified Driver
Posts: 22,595
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymBeam View Post
actually lots of people say with these orions u have to gear up a couple of teeth pinion becaseu they feel flat otherwise
Don`t believe that ...
__________________
Any driver can copy a great set up, a Champion however will steal it .
If Jesus returned as a Rc car he be a Rc10 B5M
George W. Cherry
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:23 PM   #1481
Tech Elite
 
2056dennis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: michigan
Posts: 2,470
Trader Rating: 126 (100%+)
Default lipo

hi everyone ive got 1 3200 orion and i run it in practice and 3 heats and a main and all i do is run it bring it in and charge it for next race and my lap times are very close if not better at the end and im very comp with everyone else [finishing in top 5 weekly] hope this helps
2056dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:44 PM   #1482
Tech Fanatic
 
kuzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 948
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymBeam View Post
actually lots of people say with these orions u have to gear up a couple of teeth pinion becaseu they feel flat otherwise
Geez with all this knowledge you are in possession of, you still bought 2??? Tell you what, yours are still new since it sounds like you've only bench raced them with your discharger. I'll take them off your hands at a decent price so you can get back to buying new packs every coupla months.
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:46 PM   #1483
Tech Regular
 
GymBeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Losi|Novak|MuchMore
Posts: 434
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

i've sold one off already

like i said newbies and bashers will love these. newbies because most of them think 1800mah stick packs are the bomb.
GymBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:51 PM   #1484
Tech Fanatic
 
kuzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 948
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymBeam View Post
i've sold one off already

like i said newbies and bashers will love these. newbies because most of them think 1800mah stick packs are the bomb.
Nice, you took awhile to start the insults but I knew you had it in you. Now I know whether it's worth continuing discussing this with you. Syndrome has a much better sensor than I do apparently.
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:56 PM   #1485
Tech Regular
 
GymBeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Losi|Novak|MuchMore
Posts: 434
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzo View Post
Nice, you took awhile to start the insults but I knew you had it in you. Now I know whether it's worth continuing discussing this with you. Syndrome has a much better sensor than I do apparently.
and where exactly did i insult you?

dont worry i stated my opinion.

if your a serious racer dont bother with these lipos, there about just as good as a good pack of gp3300's, but no way compare to the current batch of 4200Wc cells.

the end.
GymBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NIP Team Orion 3200Mah Lipo Race Pack limbohz R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 05-30-2008 10:36 AM
Peak 3200mah carbon spec lipo aus jd 2703 Australia For Sale/Trade 8 04-23-2008 09:12 PM
Team Orion Carbon Edition 3200mAh LiPo squearl R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 7 03-11-2008 06:35 AM
Team Orion Carbon Edition 3200mAh lipo batteries dido41 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 3 07-26-2007 04:10 PM
2 Team Orion Carbon Edition 3200mAh LiPo Batteries CCristo R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 1 05-04-2007 11:48 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:18 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net