R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-20-2007, 09:17 PM   #1396
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoherty View Post
Thats all well and good as long as everyone runs off road.
From what I've read, the heavy battery is being designed for offroad.
Leodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:27 PM   #1397
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wd Racer View Post
For starters the 4800 Lipo is 9.1 oz, but in reality it isn’t really that too hard to get creative and add flat super thin lead weight low to the chassis on the sides of the battery channels (for the lowest center of gravity imaginable possible!) to at least meet each class respective weight if you shop around at sports store or online retailers. It’s very doable!
It's very doable if every track you race at allows lipo. Otherwise, the whole lead issue becomes a PITA. Right now I need a "transition lipo" that I can use alongside IB4200's until lipo is allowed everywhere I want to race and I can finally throw all my sub c's in the trash. Hence, the heavy lipo.
Leodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:58 AM   #1398
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I don't understand all the stuff about a HEAVIER LIPO

If it's too light - get some strips of Automotive Tire Lead Weights used for balancing Aluminum wheels.

It has sticky tape already applied, peel it and stick it right on your 3200 LIPO Pack. (Or better yet, to the chassis under where the battery goes to get the weight as low as possible...and you won't need to put weight on EACH pack you may have.)

I'm hoping instead of having to make batteries heavier, instead make rules LIGHTER

I've seen ROAR raise weight rules because "Batteries are heavier now", so now that there are LIGHT batteries - will they do the same thing to accomodate this situation?
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:33 AM   #1399
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTour View Post
I don't understand all the stuff about a HEAVIER LIPO

If it's too light - get some strips of Automotive Tire Lead Weights used for balancing Aluminum wheels.

It has sticky tape already applied, peel it and stick it right on your 3200 LIPO Pack. (Or better yet, to the chassis under where the battery goes to get the weight as low as possible...and you won't need to put weight on EACH pack you may have.)

I'm hoping instead of having to make batteries heavier, instead make rules LIGHTER

I've seen ROAR raise weight rules because "Batteries are heavier now", so now that there are LIGHT batteries - will they do the same thing to accomodate this situation?
Having to do this to your nice new touring car is ugly as hell. This is what I currently do. I think the packs need some kind of slot it it where you can add weight as needed and slide where its balanced. That way if you ran the pack in 2 different kinds of cars the weight could be changed for either, without having the crude look of tire weights
chris72983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:31 AM   #1400
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by knapster View Post
Does anyone know for sure who to contact if you believe you've bought a defective 3200 lipo? My LHS is even having a hard time with this.
You can always contact Team Orion Directly with any questions regarding our product, this is why we include all our contact information in the actual instructions for each product we make and also on most of the packaging as well. We also have this information listed on our website www.teamorion.com

You can always send in the battery and we can have our customer service tech check the battery to make sure it is working properly if not we send then off to Kokam Korea for analysis and if the cells are deemed defective then we will replace them free of charge.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:42 AM   #1401
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by knapster View Post
Well, My LHS did that. I'm told that Orion didn't know what to do, if they are responsible or the battery manufacture.
I am not saying your LHS is not truthful but I will say we have never had the situation were we did not "know what to do"

The worst case scenario is if the pack is questionable if the cause of failure is user error or not we send them off to Kokam Korea where they can analyze the pack and extract the exact life cycle of the battery and how it was treated.

There are some obvious physical signs we can that show the cells were abused: damage to the board which can only be caused either plugging it in backwards, shorting the cells or over charging. If the cell fails due to internal defect you will not see any puffing or burning on the PCB it will simply lose performance and not be able to be charged. Many times even under abuse the only result is cell become out of balance and many times re balancing can solve this issue.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
Old 06-21-2007, 08:45 AM   #1402
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leodis View Post
From what I've read, the heavy battery is being designed for offroad.
Yes this is true, for On Road it is an advantage to be able to ad ballast where it is needed and this is rarely just in the battery area.

For Off-Road the cars are more balanced side to side provide a symmetric platform. For On-road the cars weight footprint is no were near balanced and by being able to add 6+ oz of ballast this allow the user to bring that symmetry back is a big plus.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:47 AM   #1403
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTour View Post
But if we did this then costs would go down and cars would get easier to work on, tires would last longer and then everybody would have more money and time for racing?

Old 06-21-2007, 04:21 PM   #1404
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlack View Post
We may have something better
wild guess... "Titanium" 6400 there's an enduro I'd like to do in 2 months, maybe it will be out before then
swopemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:39 PM   #1405
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

I had awesome customer service from Team Orion. I sent in one Platinium 4800 after buying from Tower just one month earlier with power sputtering problems. It would just lose power on/off/on/off. My other two platiniums worked fine with same electronics so off it went. They sent me back brand new replacement ASAP
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:46 PM   #1406
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris72983 View Post
Having to do this to your nice new touring car is ugly as hell. This is what I currently do. I think the packs need some kind of slot it it where you can add weight as needed and slide where its balanced. That way if you ran the pack in 2 different kinds of cars the weight could be changed for either, without having the crude look of tire weights
I run the Losi type R. I made a bar of brass 1.0 x 5.5 x .110 inches that came out to 3.1oz. It fits under the battery, between the nubs. With a little weight on the front I make minimum weight and nobody can see it. I made another one, just a tad shorter, to fit on the top. It sits into the recess on top of the battery where the sticker is. It came it at 2.7oz. You have to be creative with it. Packaging was my main concern as well. I didn't want to handle any lead if I could help it.

www.summitrcraceway.com
sportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:54 PM   #1407
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportpak View Post
I run the Losi type R. I made a bar of brass 1.0 x 5.5 x .110 inches that came out to 3.1oz. It fits under the battery, between the nubs. With a little weight on the front I make minimum weight and nobody can see it. I made another one, just a tad shorter, to fit on the top. It sits into the recess on top of the battery where the sticker is. It came it at 2.7oz. You have to be creative with it. Packaging was my main concern as well. I didn't want to handle any lead if I could help it.
I run mine in a Mi3, so its not to easy to hide weight. I do have the lead in black shrink sleeve, so it dosent look to bad.
chris72983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:25 AM   #1408
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

hi

was wondering how much weight i should add to the battery side of the chassis to be the same weight as would a fully built IB4200 pack

thanks
GymBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 07:31 AM   #1409
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I haven't weighed a 6 cell 4200, but I'd guess 5 to 6 ounces.

www.summitrcraceway.com
sportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:09 AM   #1410
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportpak View Post
I haven't weighed a 6 cell 4200, but I'd guess 5 to 6 ounces.
About 75g per cell, different from brand to brand.
ttso is offline   Reply With Quote