R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-04-2007, 11:57 AM   #1336
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Are the cases available separate from Orion? I want to hack up a case for a saddle pack.
secretsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:10 PM   #1337
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretsg View Post
Are the cases available separate from Orion? I want to hack up a case for a saddle pack.
As of right now the cases are not available separate.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:44 PM   #1338
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leodis View Post
Why would you set max capacity at 50%? I've been charging at 1C and would like this explained and verified before I start charging at 2C.
If you double the mah setting to get to the charge rate you want then you need to half the max charge so you dont overcharge it. It works for me and others but MrBlack cautions against it.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:34 PM   #1339
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My charger has a max charge rate of 2.5 will it hurt the battery to be charged at that? I heard that you wasnt supposed to charge it below some amount also, But I dont recall what it was.
chris72983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:40 PM   #1340
Tech Initiate

Is there any advantage to charging the 3200 at 2C, other than a reduced charge time?
chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:42 PM   #1341
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris72983 View Post
My charger has a max charge rate of 2.5 will it hurt the battery to be charged at that? I heard that you wasnt supposed to charge it below some amount also, But I dont recall what it was.
This depends on the charger some that charge at this rate will also not charge a battery fully beyond 2500mAh but their are some that will do it no problem but it will just take longer to charge.

I would contact the charger manufacture to get their opinion.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
Old 06-04-2007, 01:44 PM   #1342
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chance View Post
Is there any advantage to charging the 3200 at 2C, other than a reduced charge time?
Nope.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:45 PM   #1343
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
Nope.
He is correct. You can even go back and forth between 1C and 2C without any ill effect.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:04 PM   #1344
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

hey guys.
apart from being light weight do lipo have a voltage advantage over a good ib4200 pack? my local track wont allow lipo in stock or 540 cause they think it will be unfair im trying to convince them that lipo are a cheaper alternative and that they should allow them.
i saw some test showing discharge curves of lipo versus nimh any one know where on is or if i have got my facts wrong?
cheers
aus jd 2703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:11 AM   #1345
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus jd 2703 View Post
hey guys.
apart from being light weight do lipo have a voltage advantage over a good ib4200 pack? my local track wont allow lipo in stock or 540 cause they think it will be unfair im trying to convince them that lipo are a cheaper alternative and that they should allow them.
i saw some test showing discharge curves of lipo versus nimh any one know where on is or if i have got my facts wrong?
cheers
Well some people will say that a good 4200 will be an advantage over a LiPo.

2 cell LiPo tops out at 8.4V

6 cell NiMH tops out at 9.6V+

Charge one of each style and show your Track Official the volktage when fully charged this should remove any concern about un fair advantage.

The Discharge curve on a LiPo is much flatter then a NiMH so this is were any advantage comes into play. But then you can argue well LiPo is at a 1000mAh disadvantage.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:31 AM   #1346
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlack View Post
This depends on the charger some that charge at this rate will also not charge a battery fully beyond 2500mAh but their are some that will do it no problem but it will just take longer to charge.

I would contact the charger manufacture to get their opinion.
I called thunder power today and they said the charger cut off by voltage not mAh, and the it would be fine to charge a 3200mAh batt. at 2.5 amps on it. Does this sound right to you.
chris72983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:35 AM   #1347
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus jd 2703 View Post
hey guys.
cheers
The only on track advantage is the weight. Often times people who try the LiPo for the first time swear its "faster" or "punchier", and they attribute this to extra voltage. In reality, its much simpler than that...if the car is carrying less weight, it will take off faster.

So if they want to maintain "fairness" (if there is a such thing in R/C), then just have a weight limit. That way, the LiPo and NiMH runners will all have to weigh in at the same thing and all the advantage of lighter weight is removed.

If they still wont allow you to run it, ask them how "fair" it is that some guys have $80 packs with insane numbers while others can only affoard budget packs with crappy numbers. If they still have a problem with you running it, I say find somewhere else to race.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:37 AM   #1348
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris72983 View Post
I called thunder power today and they said the charger cut off by voltage not mAh, and the it would be fine to charge a 3200mAh batt. at 2.5 amps on it. Does this sound right to you.
Yes this sounds correct and you should be fine.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:38 AM   #1349
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Its funny to me that nobody seemed to give a flying fart about "fairness" in the battery department until LiPo came along. I mean, does anybody ever remember tracks making sure that an entire class' batteries had the same numbers? No...

Now all of a sudden, track owners are SOooooOoOooo concerned about fairness. I guess since the issue of safety has pretty much be settled, people have to have something to complain about with LiPo.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:49 AM   #1350
Tech Champion

I got spanked last week by a guy using a brushed motor and nimh batteries. How unfair!