R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-08-2007, 11:14 AM   #1261
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ditto for the saddles - weighed down if possible

Or how about some packs for 1/12th - can you imagine!!!!????

Our club is going to specify a hard case like Orion's 3200 or Platinum.

Orion could make some dollars selling cool looking weights too. My racing chassis is looking ugly with the mountain of weights needed to balance everything out.
CaliberX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:45 PM   #1262
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Mr Black- will Orion add bumps to the bottom of the 4800 pack any time soon? it is hard to keep the pack in a pancar without them. The 3800 works great though!

Thanks
gezer2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 05:51 PM   #1263
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTour
I'm looking at the FMA Direct Scorpion charger for my Carbon 3200 batteries...any pro's and/or con's to this charger for this type of Lipo?
Joe,

It's a great charger for the price. Super simple and works great. The only downside is the adapter for the Orion pack is a little expansive.

Pro-Line RacingHobbywingMIPBOOMrcFutabaPT RC Racing Oils
CCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:51 PM   #1264
Tech Elite

1/12
1/12
1/12
1/12
lipo's
yaaaaaaaaaaaa.

sorry.
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:28 PM   #1265
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

a 1/12th scale car with a 3200 lipo (or any lipo) has to be nuts light...

they weight nothing as it was...and having a battery weight 44% of a 4200 6 cell pack...WOW
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:45 PM   #1266
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTour
a 1/12th scale car with a 3200 lipo (or any lipo) has to be nuts light...

they weight nothing as it was...and having a battery weight 44% of a 4200 6 cell pack...WOW
That would start a new revolution in 12th scale racing. Could you imagine a set of 12th tires lasting all season. The efficiency would be incredible.
Brushless and lipo. Cool. I'd probably park my 10th scale this winter?
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:41 AM   #1267
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Some of our 12th guys are pretty hardcore traditionalists. Only if they were running them at big races they'd do it. Otherwise they'd make us run a separate class.

www.summitrcraceway.com
sportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 01:27 PM   #1268
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gezer2u
Mr Black- will Orion add bumps to the bottom of the 4800 pack any time soon? it is hard to keep the pack in a pancar without them. The 3800 works great though!

Thanks
We will only add the bumps when we can make the overall pack smaller in profile.

Also I think you will see over the course of the next 5 or so years the shape batteries changing dramatically as well as the tray in which they are held all for the better. And by better I mean cheaper and easier with more power and runtime. But I can not say anything else.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 01:33 PM   #1269
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Does this link have anything to do with that Link
Old 05-09-2007, 01:49 PM   #1270
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray
Does this link have anything to do with that Link
These are Li-Ion cells which are not very durable nor suitable for our applications. We use Li-Polymer which are more durable and also provide more power however they are a more expensive to produce this is why you still see LiIon mostly used in laptops, cellphones etc. Kokam is constantly raising the bar of technology and we are always working with them to bring this technology into or hobby. We will have some exiting things going in the next year or so and we are hoping that other manufactuers will do the same as we definately feel (based on several factors) that LiPo is becoming a standard of the the near future.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
Old 05-09-2007, 02:08 PM   #1271
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UN4RACING
That would start a new revolution in 12th scale racing. Could you imagine a set of 12th tires lasting all season. The efficiency would be incredible.
Brushless and lipo. Cool. I'd probably park my 10th scale this winter?
The 3200 pack fits quite nicely in a 1/10 scale pan car for a total vehicle weight of around 1000 grams. Unfortunately I have no place to try this out in actual competition, but you would have to think it would be silly fast on carpet.
Iceracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:43 PM   #1272
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

When you guys talking about 12th scale used Lipo....are we still stuck @ 3.7V single cell...vs 4.8V nimh? I am just wondeirng what is stopping mfr like Orion making new cells for 12th scale...

Does single cell with higher capacity (1C 4800 mah) work with 12th scale on stock 19T and mod applicaiton...? I just want to know...

I have a Gen X now...I know I don't have to worry about those annoying saddle packs anymore....
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 04:09 PM   #1273
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara
When you guys talking about 12th scale used Lipo....are we still stuck @ 3.7V single cell...vs 4.8V nimh? I am just wondeirng what is stopping mfr like Orion making new cells for 12th scale...

Does single cell with higher capacity (1C 4800 mah) work with 12th scale on stock 19T and mod applicaiton...? I just want to know...

I have a Gen X now...I know I don't have to worry about those annoying saddle packs anymore....
We make small 1500mah LiPo from our Avionics line that some have successfully used to make 3000mAh 7.4V saddle packs with and we have had some make other options as well.

http://www.teamorion-avionics.com/Ba...Li-Po/1500mAh+

With LiPo you have 2 choices in our range 3.7V (1S or 1 cell)[1C is a different rating] or 7.4v (2S 2 cell). yes I know their is the rumored 5V cells but they are just not stable amongst other issues. The problem with tooling a saddle pack case is that to make the case fit the exact size of a 3x3 or 2x2 you sacrifice a great deal of usable space and the tooling needed and R&D time is costly for such a small percentage of users (I personally wish 1:12 was more popular as it is such a cool class) so the investment is a far larger gamble then with other application that we are looking into. Though we do constantly revisit the idea of a saddle pack and have a design finished in place we still await the proper time to green light it.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:02 PM   #1274
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (96%+)

My MRC 989 charger says you need a balancer for the Lithium packs. Yet the Orion say you dont absolutely have to have it. It just increases the performance. Where can I get a balancer?
1 Corinthians 10:31 ...whatever you do, do it all to the glory of God.
S&N Trackside Hobbies
Innovative Hobbies and Raceway
Clark RC race park
rcracenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 07:35 PM   #1275
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracenut
My MRC 989 charger says you need a balancer for the Lithium packs. Yet the Orion say you dont absolutely have to have it. It just increases the performance. Where can I get a balancer?
Orion SBS
You will need to modify the 2S connector with 2 of these and 1 of these if you are running the carbon or platinum. I would recommend that you not use any MRC chargers on these however. Somewhere in this thread or the platinum thread this is discussed.
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote