Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Orion 3200mAh Race Spec LiPo

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 03:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ottoman
Believe it or not you guys are still the MINORITY of the electric on road part of RC and all you posts are not going to convert people to your way of thinking.
As I posted, there should be a Lipo/ brushless class at all tracks to show case the new technologies... and if they are demonstrated to be better/cheaper/easier or what ever, people will gravitate to those classes and the ones you guys seem to hate so much will die out. Thats the way to induce change in the hobby.
First of all, nobody here has expressed "hatred" for any classes. In fact, we've been talking about joining classes. You don't generally seek to join something you hate, unless you're really confused about religion.

Second, you might be very well right that "people who have a positive opinion of lipo power and brushless motors" represents a minority of "people who are old time racers and currently own hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of matched batteries, chargers, dischargers, motors, lathes, and spare motor parts".

However I suggest that pointing that out is both irrelevant and shortsighted.

Why do I say this?

Because if you really love this hobby, you're more concerned about the hobby than yourself, and you're more interested in getting new people into it than making yourself comfortable.

Proceeding from this claim, which anyone can feel free to refute (it's how I feel anyway) I would suggest the following which might also be fact and might be much more relevant...

...it's reasonable, if not forgone, to assert that "people who have a positive opinion of lipo power and brushless motors" would represent an overwhelming majority of "all people interested in R/C". I mean can you imagine explaining both options, objectively, with their costs laid out realistically, to any newcomer to the hobby and having them choose the old school stuff?

Anyone running an R/C related business can already see this I'm sure, and hopefully they'll make decisions based on future profitability and not just curmudgeonry. Motor and battery vendors are going to come around, or fail. Believe it or not, it's the bashers and the forever cycling newbies that power the industry with dollars, not the relatively small number of "serious" oldschool racers out there. You think any sane business will choose a path that alienates that kid who just bought a brushless RTR from sticking with the hobby? Unlikely. It's also unlikely that brushed RTR kits will be around much longer. Remember if you're not already into the hobby, brushless and lipo options are cheaper.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Well I feel the "hate" in your responses... mainly directed at the "old school" guys, you know the guys with all that expensive equipment. Well I guess I would be considered one of those, but I do run a brushless in the mod class

It was suggested that since I enjoy working with brushed motors I should quit racing and just race my friends on the dyno Feel the love? Well I also love working on my setups... is that OK or should I just trade setup sheets with my friends

So you are saying I... and others... should give up the CLASS we like to race because you don't like what is involved with racing that class? Where I suggested we each have our own class so everyone gets to run what they like... who has the closed mind?

Also... using your logic we should just get rid of the touring car class all together. Everyone knows that a 10th scale pan car is cheaper to buy and maintain and probably easier on tires because of its light weight. Sounds like the answer... lipo with BL and a pan car = nirvana Who knows maybe that will bring in the newbies.

I think the change will happen... it always does... but don't force it down peoples throats.
If your track only has a handful of guys racing... well it really doesn't need rules but if you have a decent turnout offer the lipo BL class and let the racers decide what class they want to run.

In oval the 4300 B/L class seems to be taking off. There have been a few big races that have included the class and more and more tracks are offering it. But I don't see stock and 4300 or 19t running in the same class they keep it separate. This seems to be a good way to introduce new technologies into the sport... offer a class and let the racers decide. Lipo will probably be introduced the same way.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

Check out the KO PROPO Race being held at the Tamiya USA track in September.

Lipo's are allowed in all classes.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:09 AM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
The 7.4V thing is an issue. But the reality is that even with equal nominal voltage, the LiPo will perform better. It is not possible to equalize them. Perhaps allowing them in stock is not the right thing at this time, but why not let them run in modified first, and see how it goes.

some little tracks are allowing the Peak Li-Po to be used in stock , 1 track in 19t
Also there are a couple of Race Org that think the Li-Po will go wrong if used in mod coz of the amp draw
Also they are not idiot proof !! what is by the way??

so i will go over this again (with guidence from a airplane flyer)
power drills don`t pull amps like airplane`s do ,power drills etc are geared down to produce torque(but they are switching over to them)
But when you have planes with 36" probs ,plane`s with 64" wing span using Li-Po`s with no trouble ,(no worry`s there)
also they use brushless motor that will fill your whole hand with being so big
there is a plane out there with 52volt 7000mah li-po flying in competions world wide

7.4 vs 7.2 can you tell the diff between the 2 on track ???
c-cells peak of around 9.1. Li-po doesn`t!! it goes up to 8.4 so the c-cells are the illegal one s

brushless i`m not keen (had one) but not keen i just like the `hobby` side of fiddling with a motor to make it go fast or slow
Old 08-04-2006, 12:13 AM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Forgot
The British Indoor Winter Series (BIWS) are allowing Peak Li-Po this winter

But it`s allready started (finger pointing) coz some can`t afford the batt (to much money sunk into c-cell gear) are saying it`s wrong & unfair
hey i thought it was unfair when everyone could afford the Ni-Cad 2000`s & all i could use & afford was 1800src`s (many years ago)
Old 08-04-2006, 05:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Official Team Orion News

http://www.teamorion.com/news/ca40/newsid/115

Interesting !
Old 08-08-2006, 02:13 AM
Tech Adept

Any news on when these will be on sale in the UK ?
Old 08-08-2006, 08:53 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Can someone post the list of chargers recommended for this battery? I saw it once and can't seem to find it again.

I really want a small, LiPo specific charger. The Ice is alright, but I don't need all the other stuff, as it's already covered by my current charger. MuchMore has one in the works, but it's a ways off still. Any suggestions? I sure wish my CellMaster would charge at more than 1A. It would be the perfect charger for my needs, but, alas, it's going to get replaced or forgotten.

It's too expensive for my needs, but I love the size an apparent simplicity of this charger. Any idea if that would be suitable for the Orion packs? What about this one?
Old 08-08-2006, 09:11 AM
Tech Elite

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMRH8&P=7

Not LiPo specific, but a good value.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Can someone post the list of chargers recommended for this battery? I saw it once and can't seem to find it again.

I really want a small, LiPo specific charger. The Ice is alright, but I don't need all the other stuff, as it's already covered by my current charger. MuchMore has one in the works, but it's a ways off still. Any suggestions? I sure wish my CellMaster would charge at more than 1A. It would be the perfect charger for my needs, but, alas, it's going to get replaced or forgotten.

It's too expensive for my needs, but I love the size an apparent simplicity of this charger. Any idea if that would be suitable for the Orion packs? What about this one?
you can also try the pro-peak prodigy or the multiplex LN-5014 (the one I have), or any of the multiple clones that are on the market... actually I think the orion is just another one... they're around 70 bucks, very light and noiseless (no fan at all). I'm very happy with them for lipo.

cheers,
Old 08-08-2006, 10:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

syndr0me:
I've been having good luck with this one:
16x

Gone through at least 20 cycles each on 3 platinums with it. The only thing I don't like about it is that the current knob moves too easily. It does make you doublecheck it before charging though.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:42 AM
Tech Addict

I am using the Team Orion Avionics Advanced Flight Charger It works great, is really small, and only cost about $80. Hope this helps.

Eric
Old 08-08-2006, 11:06 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMRH8&P=7

Not LiPo specific, but a good value.
Can it charge LiPo and, say, the 8AA NiMH in my controller's pack (@1A)? If so, the CellMaster is about to visit eBay.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

Can it charge LiPo and, say, the 8AA NiMH in my controller's pack (@1A)? If so, the CellMaster is about to visit eBay.
Yes.

• Capable of charging and Discharging:
- NiCD/Ni-MH 1-14 cells
- Li-Io or Li-Po 1-5 cells
- lead acid (Pb) batteries 1-6 [2V per cell]
• Adjustable charge current (0.1A-5.0A)
• Adjustable discharge current (0.1A-1.0A)
• “Zero Delta V” peak detection for NiCd and Ni-MH batteries
• “Constant current/discharge voltage” charge method for lithium-Ion/Po and Pb batteries.
• Compact & portable size
• Cycling (Charge to Discharge / Discharge to Charge)
• 2 line, 16 character blue backlit LCD Screen
• Button control - “Surface panel type”
• Warning sytems prevents improper voltage
• Super durable aluminum case
Old 08-08-2006, 01:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yes.

• Capable of charging and Discharging:
- NiCD/Ni-MH 1-14 cells
- Li-Io or Li-Po 1-5 cells
- lead acid (Pb) batteries 1-6 [2V per cell]
• Adjustable charge current (0.1A-5.0A)
• Adjustable discharge current (0.1A-1.0A)
• “Zero Delta V” peak detection for NiCd and Ni-MH batteries
• “Constant current/discharge voltage” charge method for lithium-Ion/Po and Pb batteries.
• Compact & portable size
• Cycling (Charge to Discharge / Discharge to Charge)
• 2 line, 16 character blue backlit LCD Screen
• Button control - “Surface panel type”
• Warning sytems prevents improper voltage
• Super durable aluminum case
That's pretty much the spec of the prodigy pro-peak and the ln-5014.... if you go to eBay and don't have success with the CellMaster, you can try any of these two as well... either way, they're all the same.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.