R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-16-2007, 11:41 PM   #1171
Tech Lord
 
UN4RACING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MODIFIED!
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rays_tt
I'm thinking about getting a 2nd pack, might get another 3200 since they've been good to me, but I'm also considering the 6000 maxamps pack, what do you reckon?
I tell ya what I think Orion is coming out with some and you can be sure they will be worth the wait. I heard it in a thread a while back. I'm being patient for the fact I'm having the best luck ever with my 4800's. I want to run the 6000's so that I can run mod with out fatiguing the packs.
I don't know diddly about max amps? I do know that the Orions are worth the wait. I would stick to the pack with a case.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:23 AM   #1172
Tech Regular
 
rays_tt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 483
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Yeh I wanted to get the 4800 instead of the 3200 but towers wouldnt ship it via airmail.

I think I might either wait as you say for Orions new pack, or try to source a 4800 some other way.
__________________
www.melbRC.org
rays_tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:37 AM   #1173
Tech Addict
 
MrBlack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: OC
Posts: 746
Default

A couple of things:

1. Ripmax does not make out our charger I can assure you our charger is made by the same Korean manufacturer who makes roughly 60% of the chargers in the R/C industry.

2. Those with Ice/Yokomo/Checkpoint chargers please make sure to set the "max chg capa" at 90% or below. We are currently doing some testing but some feedback we have recieved has pointed to the fact that it goes up to 120% on Lipo and recommends using 110% and 105% which we believe can cause the battery to fail. I will post our final results on this as soon as they are in.

3. 2C charging is already here and will continue to progress to higher rates as technology progresses. Capacities will also go up while sizes will go down, the technology is there. It is just making it affordable while maintaining quality and reliability that is the hurdle.
__________________
TEAM ORION - AVIONICS - KYOSHO - KO PROPO - PEAK

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:01 AM   #1174
TEM
Tech Regular
 
TEM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 253
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlack
A couple of things:

1. Ripmax does not make out our charger I can assure you our charger is made by the same Korean manufacturer who makes roughly 60% of the chargers in the R/C industry.

2. Those with Ice/Yokomo/Checkpoint chargers please make sure to set the "max chg capa" at 90% or below. We are currently doing some testing but some feedback we have recieved has pointed to the fact that it goes up to 120% on Lipo and recommends using 110% and 105% which we believe can cause the battery to fail. I will post our final results on this as soon as they are in.

3. 2C charging is already here and will continue to progress to higher rates as technology progresses. Capacities will also go up while sizes will go down, the technology is there. It is just making it affordable while maintaining quality and reliability that is the hurdle.

For #2. Assuming your pack is discharged to empty (not 0 volts but the point where it's safe but empty), putting in a max of 90% of rated (2880 mah for 3200 for say), that makes good sense for good cell life. However, we don't discharge to empty. Lets say we only used 50%. Do I set my max charge to 40% ASSUMING I know there is 50% left cause setting it at 90% for a half full pack; you are still looking at the same stopping scheme on the charger end and it looks like you are still overcharging to causing this battery failure you describe?
TEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:19 AM   #1175
Tech Addict
 
MrBlack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: OC
Posts: 746
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEM
For #2. Assuming your pack is discharged to empty (not 0 volts but the point where it's safe but empty), putting in a max of 90% of rated (2880 mah for 3200 for say), that makes good sense for good cell life. However, we don't discharge to empty. Lets say we only used 50%. Do I set my max charge to 40% ASSUMING I know there is 50% left cause setting it at 90% for a half full pack; you are still looking at the same stopping scheme on the charger end and it looks like you are still overcharging to causing this battery failure you describe?
No you do not attempt to adjust to charge based on your previous discharge cycle.

This to our knowledge is a perameter to help the charger know when the battery is done charging. Many people people when charging NiMh will enter 500mAh or more then the capacity of the cells to maximize the charge as the rating is simpy a nominal rating. This was apparently carried over to the LiPo feature and it appears that it was not the best idea. Rumor has it that the Checkpoint version will adrres this issue and possibly limit the max to 90%. I would reccomend using 90% max and if the battery does not reach 8.4V then go up at 5% intervals until atleast 8.39V is met.
__________________
TEAM ORION - AVIONICS - KYOSHO - KO PROPO - PEAK

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:25 AM   #1176
Tech Addict
 
Iceracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 656
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

3200 mah and 20C rating.

In real world terms, what does this mean in terms of the winds of motors (brushed and brushless) we can run off this pack? I ask this because few of us have the means to measure the high current draw of our motors under actual driving conditions, so the C rating while great for comparison purposes, does little to tell me whether I can run a 3.5 turn brushless motor off it.
Iceracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:48 AM   #1177
TEM
Tech Regular
 
TEM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 253
Default

Why don't we just stop the charger when it beeps to indicate CC to CV? You really don't need to FILL up a Lipo like you would a nimh/nicad anyways.
TEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:59 AM   #1178
Tech Addict
 
MrBlack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: OC
Posts: 746
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceracer
3200 mah and 20C rating.

In real world terms, what does this mean in terms of the winds of motors (brushed and brushless) we can run off this pack? I ask this because few of us have the means to measure the high current draw of our motors under actual driving conditions, so the C rating while great for comparison purposes, does little to tell me whether I can run a 3.5 turn brushless motor off it.

Li-Poly C-rating = discharge amperage per amp capacity.

A 20C, 3200mAh cells would be rated as such:
3200mAh (or 3.2Amps) x 20C= 64Amps constant discharge rating.
__________________
TEAM ORION - AVIONICS - KYOSHO - KO PROPO - PEAK

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:12 AM   #1179
Tech Addict
 
Iceracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 656
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Yes, I understand the 20C rating of a 3200 meaning 64 amps continuous.

Can you offer any advice as to how do I interpret the 20C rating in so far as what motor I can safely use a 3200 pack with? Or is this not something to worry about, that a 3200 Orion pack can power any available brushed or brushless motor?
Iceracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:51 AM   #1180
Tech Addict
 
MrBlack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: OC
Posts: 746
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceracer
Yes, I understand the 20C rating of a 3200 meaning 64 amps continuous.

Can you offer any advice as to how do I interpret the 20C rating in so far as what motor I can safely use a 3200 pack with? Or is this not something to worry about, that a 3200 Orion pack can power any available brushed or brushless motor?
We have run them with motors as high as 7x1 brushed modified and 3.5 brushless without issue.
__________________
TEAM ORION - AVIONICS - KYOSHO - KO PROPO - PEAK

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:57 PM   #1181
Tech Champion
 
MikeXray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 5,749
Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default

How many mah should I set my charger to? (orion advantage carbon) for the 3200 pack? I took it down to 6.4v today getting about 20mins on my MF2 with a CP19t, when recharging it hit 3200mah before it peaked, but I'm not sure if these can be pushed over their rated mah like Nimh.
__________________
Mike L. Awesomatixusa.com | TQWire.com | Islandraceway.com |JacksonRCracing.com | Horsham RC | Sweepracingusa.com
MikeXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:46 PM   #1182
Tech Fanatic
 
kuzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 948
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo
Default

All I have to say tonight is thank god someone recommended that I store my lipos in ammo cases. I woke up Monday to my finished basement ruined by 6" of water. My platinums and transmitter lipos were stored in the cases and were floating around the room. Dry as a bone inside. So I definitely recommend using these cases in case of fire or water. Lost a 24V lithium drill battery though.
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 08:30 AM   #1183
Tech Addict
 
MrBlack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: OC
Posts: 746
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray
How many mah should I set my charger to? (orion advantage carbon) for the 3200 pack? I took it down to 6.4v today getting about 20mins on my MF2 with a CP19t, when recharging it hit 3200mah before it peaked, but I'm not sure if these can be pushed over their rated mah like Nimh.
3200mAh and charge @ 1C

Setting the capacity any higher you do nothing but risk damage to your cells.
__________________
TEAM ORION - AVIONICS - KYOSHO - KO PROPO - PEAK

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:43 PM   #1184
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

You know what you guys need? A FAQ, or list of as many cars as you can think of, and whether or not the two LiPo packs you offer fit in said cars. The question is asked SO often, it would be really nice if Orion had a page on their site or something where people could go and check. It could even link to things like nexusracing's spectacular guide on fitting the Platinum 4800 in the T2'007.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 01:43 AM   #1185
Tech Adept
 
diha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Earth
Posts: 160
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Hi MrBlack,

Can you help to advise on this?

I once had in-balance on my cell after 5 charges.
Reading: 3.42V & 3.35V.
As i was on budget, I did not buy the balancer, so I charged each cell individually.

I set my charger at 1.7V; charge current 1.5A & charge capacity 1500mAh

Charge 1st cell & it stop at full capacity 1500mAh & voltage @3.85
Cahrge 2nd cell & manual stop the charging @ voltage 3.85, capacity @1612mAh.

Then I charge the the whole cell @ 1C & measure the voltage.
Reading: 4.16V & 4.28V.

Still in-balance & surprise that the 2nd cell was 4.28V. Any issue???
Can you advise what should I do next to have it balance.
Thanks in advance.
diha is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NIP Team Orion 3200Mah Lipo Race Pack limbohz R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 05-30-2008 10:36 AM
Peak 3200mah carbon spec lipo aus jd 2703 Australia For Sale/Trade 8 04-23-2008 09:12 PM
Team Orion Carbon Edition 3200mAh LiPo squearl R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 7 03-11-2008 06:35 AM
Team Orion Carbon Edition 3200mAh lipo batteries dido41 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 3 07-26-2007 04:10 PM
2 Team Orion Carbon Edition 3200mAh LiPo Batteries CCristo R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 1 05-04-2007 11:48 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:58 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net