R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-04-2007, 08:52 AM   #1066
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by UN4RACING
Would it be possible to put a 4800 in a 3200 case? And not worry about the weight.
The 4800 cells will not fit in the 3200 case both the 4800 and the 3200 are filled to capacity with the cells that make up each pack.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:05 AM   #1067
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Thomas
I hope that they don't just use the 4800 case because I wouldn't be able to use it on my Tamiya 415. It won't clear the rear bulkhead. I am assuming that Orion is innovative enough to create a heavy case that will fit all of the cars that the current 3200 fits.

Pete
Safe assumption, however there are other limitations that overide any innovations. Many chassis manufactuers are equiping their latest chassis to fit the 4800 not only for the sake of our battery but also for the other brands out there that do not have the precise packaging of the 3200's.

The heavy battery is also more geared to the Off'Road market as they need the weight for the suspensions to perform properly until the chassis manufactures figure out set-ups for lighter cars. For TC the 3200 is better without any weight as the car is not balanced properly if the weight is force in the battery area. Because of the motor and electronics the current foot print of the wiengt in most TC's is rarely if ever balanced both side to side and front to back. By allowing the weight to be better manipulated out side the battery it allows TC's to be better balanced then ever before.

I would recommend for those running TC to continue to run the standard battery with external weights and only the weighted battery for those running Off-Road. At least until the chassis manufactuers catch up on suspension design for the next wave of lighter batteries.

Eventually heavy batteries will not be the norm as they are only a temperary need. Once we get away from heavy Sub-C cells the chassis will be designed accordingly and there will be very little need for extra weights.

In short with todays cars, we are not just adding balast we are literaly adding weight which is like stubbing your toe to get your mind off your headache.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
Old 04-04-2007, 12:03 PM   #1068
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Thomas
I hope that they don't just use the 4800 case because I wouldn't be able to use it on my Tamiya 415. It won't clear the rear bulkhead. I am assuming that Orion is innovative enough to create a heavy case that will fit all of the cars that the current 3200 fits.

Pete
Hi Pete, I'm running 4800 packs in my 415 - though I used the stick pack conversion chassis. I don't remember if Tamiya makes a stick pack chassis for the Reinhard edition though. I use the Team Associated Chassis protector under the chassis and then I pounded in the lead weights into the chassis cutouts to keep the weight very low.
Attached Thumbnails
Team Orion 3200mAh Race Spec LiPo-img_0968_sm.jpg   Team Orion 3200mAh Race Spec LiPo-img_0969_sm.jpg  
Old 04-05-2007, 02:31 PM   #1069
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by linger
Hi Pete, I'm running 4800 packs in my 415 - though I used the stick pack conversion chassis. I don't remember if Tamiya makes a stick pack chassis for the Reinhard edition though. I use the Team Associated Chassis protector under the chassis and then I pounded in the lead weights into the chassis cutouts to keep the weight very low.
Nice install many drivers have used Tungsten and Lead tape found in many golf shops also for added mountability.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:59 PM   #1070
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to c1 racin Send a message via AIM to c1 racin Send a message via Yahoo to c1 racin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamMan
That's kinda' what I thought too. I was hoping they would maybe make the top round to fit under the 007 bulk head. If the next Xray doesn't accommodate LiPo better I'll probably be switching to that new Schui Mi3.
Nexus Racing Orion Platinum 4800 LiPo in the T2'007
c1 racin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 11:09 PM   #1071
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

MrBlack,

We are looking at taking R/C Oval racing to Lipo and Brushless with several classes in '08.

We are currently doing some testing to find motor combos that will give us speeds similar to the classes we already have but using the LiPo 3200 "carbon edition" from Peak/Orion intead of our current 4 cell packs.

Oval racers have many concers, one of which is run time w/ the hotter B/L motors using this 3200 pack, and another is voltage consistancy between packs, then there is charge rate issues and/or balancing issues.

The LiPO's will be NEW to most of the oval racers, and we'd love to have someone from Peak/Orion come to one of our West Coast events and be able to give our racers a little education.

Joe Myers
South-West Tour "R/C Oval Series"

Official 'TOUR' Sponsors

FINISHLINE R/C Products
Jake's Performance Hobbies
Maverick Oval Chassis
McAllister Racing Bodies
STICK E.T. Tire Sauces
T.M. Racing Tires

WWW.SOUTHWESTTOUR.COM
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 11:42 PM   #1072
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

So many good trends seem to start in oval. You guys are awesome, I hope it works out for you. If you do end up running this class, please come back after the season and share your experiences with us.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 12:08 AM   #1073
Tech Elite

syndr0me

You bet we will...

We are actually trying to do some testing with our local Touring club too...but since touring is already running 6 cell, finding similar motors won't be such an issue. Although we are testing a new motor to run similar to a 4 cell STOCK motor...that motor may be an AWESOME motor w/ either LiPo or 6 cell in a TOURING car for the entry level class vs. the idea I read a while back ago about trying to go to 4 or 5 cell in Touring.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:30 AM   #1074
Tech Lord

So you guys are looking for a way to keep things similar in speed to 4 cell stock using brushless and LiPo? This comes up a lot regarding 1/12 scale, with only limited solutions so far.

linger has had some early success using a single LiPo cell at 3.7v in 1/12, with fast mod motors. Such a setup would likely require a receiver pack. I can't think of a practical way to do that with Orion's batteries. Though, I guess the balancing port lets you isolate a single cell, but I don't know if it could handle the high discharge rate.

I've seen a little bit of talk about using 1/18th brushless motors in 1/10th cars (with LiPo) to slow things down. I believe there are adaptor plates, but it gets tricky with pinions and such.

I haven't heard any talk of people trying to use Novak's 18.5 crawler motor for an application other than crawling. I wonder how fast it would be in oval with a LiPo? It's too bad there isn't a rotor out there that can be used to slow down a motor.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:37 AM   #1075
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Could a roll out rule work? 13.5 3200's or
Why not just speed it up, 13.5 with 3200's with no roll out rule?

I don't do oval but I remember 6 cell and watching it was cool.

Or maybe a pinion spur rule?
Its a shame to miss out on the luxury of the lipos.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 03:38 AM   #1076
Tech Elite

..actually we've tested the 18.5 motor, and a 17.5 test motor (Both were too fast) Both turned times equal to or faster than 19t, and ran almost as fast as the 10.5

We thought about the other limitations, but since we are working on making what ever we do w/ these motors fit OVAL RACING on a National level, it's hard to fit all track sizes and styles.

The reason for looking for a slower motor comes from the request of the guys who run the current stock classes. They enjoy the speed of their racing and say it fits their driving styles. Any faster and they will not enjoy their hobby...and/or they could run a MOD based class.

For OVAL racing the 4300/Lipo runs insanely fast, running nearly 70 mph on our velodrome.

We had considered looking at the A123 battery for the lower voltage, but like the sealed Peak/Orion deal better for durability. The 1 cell lipo @ only 3.7 volts really was just not an option due to the receiver pack issue.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:17 AM   #1077
Tech Adept

SWTour

It is nice to here someone who is actually looking to move forward with Lipos/Brushless instead of just coming up with reasons why not to run the newer tech.

Good Luck.
Steve B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:12 AM   #1078
Tech Lord

Novak? Are you listening? The 4 cell crowd needs a slower motor so they can run LiPo! I bet the 1/12 crowd would love it too. Nobody can get motors to market faster than you guys! You did it with your ESC. You've even got guys that would probably be willing to test it for you.

I'm surprised to hear the 18.5 was too fast. You're the first person that's mentioned experimenting with it at all.

It's unfortunate that there's not a good solution for the 4 cell crowd that wants to give LiPo/brushless a go. It seems like a lot of the emphasis has been on releasing faster motors, but now that those are here, maybe we can look more at the other end of the spectrum.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:38 AM   #1079
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
Novak? Are you listening? The 4 cell crowd needs a slower motor so they can run LiPo! I bet the 1/12 crowd would love it too. Nobody can get motors to market faster than you guys! You did it with your ESC. You've even got guys that would probably be willing to test it for you.

I'm surprised to hear the 18.5 was too fast. You're the first person that's mentioned experimenting with it at all.

It's unfortunate that there's not a good solution for the 4 cell crowd that wants to give LiPo/brushless a go. It seems like a lot of the emphasis has been on releasing faster motors, but now that those are here, maybe we can look more at the other end of the spectrum.
Turn your caps on they will read you louder!
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 10:33 AM   #1080
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

HI all,

Today, I tried my 1st 3200 lipo on my mini & I realised that the voltage drops with every re-charged. Is it normal? Can someone explain why.
What should I do gain back the voltage?

Initial charged: 8.4V; Run: 10 mins
2nd charged: 8.4V; Run: 10 mins
3rd charged: 8.22V; Run: 10 mins
4th charged: 7.98V; Run 10 mins.

I am using a Supernova Competition charger with contant current & contant voltage charge.

Thanks.
diha is offline   Reply With Quote