R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-02-2007, 11:09 PM   #1051
Tech Fanatic

The unfortunate reality of the Internet is people unfortunately don't feel the need to be polite. Wasn't is great the first few weeks after 9/11 when everyone was nice to one another?

Radar is correct however. If you're right hand wheels are lifting and you're on the verge of traction rolling on a right hand turn you obviously need to add weight to the right hand side to bring the center of gravity back closer to the center of the car. Let's say you add that weight to the right side but to make this example you add it 12 inches above the surface of the chassis. This would bring your center of gravity back to the center of the car in respect to the left and right side but would raise it dramatically too. Although your car would have that weight on the right side it would still want to lift the right tires and roll over to the left because of that higher center of gravity. If you are trying to get the car to roll to increase grip you want to lower your roll center and not raise the center of gravity. You don't mount the weight low because that's what everyone says; you mount it low because that's what physics says.

If you are having to add 4 more ounces to the right side to balance your car left to right it's not because the weight is mounted too low it's because it's mounted too close to the L/R center of the chassis.

Hopefully that was clear. Good luck!

OnRoadColorado.com
Colorado On Road RC Club
SlamMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:21 PM   #1052
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I'm running an FK05. I put 30 grams on the lower chassis, and 40 grams to the top of the battery strap with the Xray weight set. I'm running the 4800's which are a little heavier.

Last edited by UN4RACING; 04-03-2007 at 07:06 AM.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:57 AM   #1053
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UN4RACING
I'm running an FK05. I put 30 ounces on the lower chassis, and 40 ounces to the top of the battery strap with the Xray weight set. I'm running the 4800's which are a little heavier.

You have to add 4+ pounds to you car to get it balanced?

YOU...I could beat...LOL
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:05 AM   #1054
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default balancing the car

To balance the car left to right, I would have to add a total of 7-8 ounces to the right side. The 3200 Lipo weights 7oz, a 3700 battery weighs 14oz, and a 4200 battery weighs about 15oz. The brushless setup on the left side is much heavier than regular electronics and weigh a little more than 15oz.

Your example is correct, adding the weight 12 inches in the air would cause a problem. But I am adding it about 1/4" above the cg of the battery. The problem with adding the weight to the chassis is that it would lower the cg and reduce the roll, increasing the possibility of traction rolling. I am also on asphault with rubber tires, so I want some roll.

Anyway, my solution works well for what I am trying to do, and I was just passing along my experience. Adding weight to areas other than the battery also changes the front to back balance, since I am assuming the car was designed for the battery weight to be where it is.

And you are right, people don't always treat others with respect.
billjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:50 AM   #1055
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Hopefully this thread doesnt end up like the tire sauce thread, this one is much more pleasant.
Oh yeah, and Lipos kick ass, I just thought I would say that
BP SHADOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:09 AM   #1056
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe

You have to add 4+ pounds to you car to get it balanced?

YOU...I could beat...LOL
I must have been really tired? I went back and edited that post.
Thats 30 grams to the chassis and 40 grams to the battery strap.

If any one added 4 pounds to there car that would be nuts.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:45 AM   #1057
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by billjacobs
Your example is correct, adding the weight 12 inches in the air would cause a problem. But I am adding it about 1/4" above the cg of the battery. The problem with adding the weight to the chassis is that it would lower the cg and reduce the roll, increasing the possibility of traction rolling. I am also on asphault with rubber tires, so I want some roll.

Anyway, my solution works well for what I am trying to do, and I was just passing along my experience. Adding weight to areas other than the battery also changes the front to back balance, since I am assuming the car was designed for the battery weight to be where it is.
If the configuration you're using works then that's what counts and frankly there aren't many options for mounting weight anyway. For the record however raising the CG and increasing the chassis roll will increase the the opportunity to traction roll, not vice versa. 12" or 1/4" the physics are still the same. Ultimately lowering the CG and promoting chassis roll with suspension geometry is best if at all possible.

OnRoadColorado.com
Colorado On Road RC Club
Old 04-03-2007, 08:47 AM   #1058
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggles Paesan
Will there be something we who have 3200 now do to get the "heavy" batteries? Perhaps send them in for an upgrade.
The new battery we are looking at doing is not in the same 3200 case as the current model, and because the cells are likely to be damaged by removing the case there is no plan at this time to provide an upgrade.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:16 AM   #1059
Tech Fanatic

What's the chance this new case is going to fit in the Xray T2 or 007 chassis?

OnRoadColorado.com
Colorado On Road RC Club
Old 04-03-2007, 10:23 AM   #1060
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamMan
What's the chance this new case is going to fit in the Xray T2 or 007 chassis?
I got the impression it's the 3200 cells in the 4800 case (the extra room is taken up by weight). If that's the case, it should fit. Nexusracing.net has a nice guide on how to fit the Platinum pack in both 007's.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:26 PM   #1061
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
I got the impression it's the 3200 cells in the 4800 case (the extra room is taken up by weight). If that's the case, it should fit. Nexusracing.net has a nice guide on how to fit the Platinum pack in both 007's.
That's kinda' what I thought too. I was hoping they would maybe make the top round to fit under the 007 bulk head. If the next Xray doesn't accommodate LiPo better I'll probably be switching to that new Schui Mi3.

OnRoadColorado.com
Colorado On Road RC Club
Old 04-04-2007, 07:36 AM   #1062
TEM
Tech Regular

Is it 100% safe to run 2S lipo on all 6 cell speedos? How about KO fet servos that need a connection to the batt+ ?
TEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:07 AM   #1063
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
I hope that they don't just use the 4800 case because I wouldn't be able to use it on my Tamiya 415. It won't clear the rear bulkhead. I am assuming that Orion is innovative enough to create a heavy case that will fit all of the cars that the current 3200 fits.

Pete
Pete Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:16 AM   #1064
Tech Lord

Would it be possible to put a 4800 in a 3200 case? And not worry about the weight.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:51 AM   #1065
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEM
Is it 100% safe to run 2S lipo on all 6 cell speedos? How about KO fet servos that need a connection to the batt+ ?
Yes as when peaked a 6 cell can output more voltage then the 8.4V that a LiPo maxes out at.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote