R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-26-2007, 09:02 AM   #1006
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
This is probably going to sound silly, but the biggest hassle with LiPo right now is that they're too light. It's quite a challenge getting cars up to weight with the new packs. If Orion came up with some way to keep the form factor of these packs but have them (optionally) weigh a little closer to that of a "normal" NiMH, it would be completely awesome. I'd pay extra to make them heavier.

I'm going to investigate carbide weights and see if that makes things a little easier.
We have already begun looking into this.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:05 AM   #1007
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1 racin
MrBlack
I used the Team Orion Stability Balancing System to try to balance the pack that I have that's out of balance. The pack now has the following numbers:

+side= 4.3733
-side= 3.9912

You stated that you Orion would replace it for analysis. However, I have added lead weights to the pack to try to help balance the car I was going to race it in. I did this before you posted how to check the balance and before I found the cells unballanced. The following pictures show what I'm talking about.

Does/Will that affect the exchange of the pack? I can/will remove the lead weights if needed. Please instruct me how to return the pack for exchange.

Thank you,
No this should not have affected the cells unless you damaged or comprimised the cells by putting on wieght and then bending the case when removing the weights to reposition them.

You can mail this into us no worries it can even be airshipped.

I would suggest being careful and removing the weights so you can re-use them and to save on the shipping charges.

Please just send this to our US address attention customer service with a note explainging what has happened.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
Old 03-26-2007, 10:19 AM   #1008
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

MrBlack,

Can I use the 3200 carbon packs to power my starter box or would that harm the batteries?

Mark
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 11:06 AM   #1009
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlack
We have already begun looking into this.
That's great news. Since the current state of R/C is that LiPo (when it's allowed) is in a mixed class, making weight is important. The nice thing is that you only have to add the amount of weight required to make the legal limit, or for proper ballast. So it's still a giant advantage to have the flexibility to add the weight as needed, we just need an elegant solution.

The grooves in the 3200 pack appear to be nearly the right size to handle the flat carbide weights. I believe I can get 3oz. on top and bottom without affecting the pack's size too much, not to mention possibly adding weight inside if needed, and keeping it low. I ordered some to give it a try. I'll post pictures and let you guys know how it goes.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:17 PM   #1010
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Forgive me if this is already in the thread, but I just got my pack and do these come with a full charge? It's reading 7.6v so I assume it's got a good amount of juice. If I charge this pack a 1C and it's already full will it peak correctly or is that a bad situation for a fire? I'll run it for a while before I charge it, but just curious. The "just a little modification" of my t2 bulkheads it a "little" bit understated Do others run the battery holders? I can only fit 3, but it fits better with none, I think with the strap it doesn't need them. I still can't believe how light this thing is.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:27 PM   #1011
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray
Forgive me if this is already in the thread, but I just got my pack and do these come with a full charge? It's reading 7.6v so I assume it's got a good amount of juice. If I charge this pack a 1C and it's already full will it peak correctly or is that a bad situation for a fire? I'll run it for a while before I charge it, but just curious. The "just a little modification" of my t2 bulkheads it a "little" bit understated Do others run the battery holders? I can only fit 3, but it fits better with none, I think with the strap it doesn't need them. I still can't believe how light this thing is.
Peak voltage on these is 8.4V so that's not nearly charged. I think they ship at 50-60% charge. Go ahead and charge at 1C.
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:26 PM   #1012
Tech Champion

Thanks, also how can I check a cell individually? did you open the case or did you mod a plug from the balancing port?
Old 03-26-2007, 07:35 PM   #1013
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray
Thanks, also how can I check a cell individually? did you open the case or did you mod a plug from the balancing port?
Grab a multimeter set it right and put the negative lead in the negative port and the positive lead in the balance port. Note the number and then put the positive lead to the positive port and the negative to the balance port. Compare the numbers. These batteries are considered in balance if they are within .02V of each other.
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:43 PM   #1014
Tech Champion

Thanks for the help, 3.81/3.82 looks like I'm good.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:55 PM   #1015
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I just modified my T2 to fit a 4800 pack and it wasn't a big deal.

I have all the corner pieces in place and I use the graphite strap. It's a very tidy setup. I had to use one 2mm spacer under each post on the graphite strap to set the height...but it fits sweet.

I cut the RH bulkhead (not cut really, just filed it down), even with the thinnest section towards the front (maybe it's a little thinner). I used one 1mm under the screws on that side.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:40 PM   #1016
Tech Adept

For those of you trying to balance your cars with the 3200 - you may be able to get this close

10g of lead and the transponder isn't off center. Car is Canadian TCS GT1 legal.
Attached Thumbnails
Team Orion 3200mAh Race Spec LiPo-img_0117.jpg   Team Orion 3200mAh Race Spec LiPo-img_0118.jpg  
ljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:54 AM   #1017
Tech Champion

Hmm I didn't think a 4800 would fit, heres a pic of my 3200.
Attached Thumbnails
Team Orion 3200mAh Race Spec LiPo-lipo.jpg  
Old 03-27-2007, 08:54 AM   #1018
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtveten
MrBlack,

Can I use the 3200 carbon packs to power my starter box or would that harm the batteries?

Mark
The problem with this is you will more then likely over discharge the cells as the dumping will be harder to detect iwth short burst of power at max power.

It has been done with success, but I cannot officially recommend it as it is not what the batteries were technically designed for.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:10 AM   #1019
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Oh well I guess I'll just stick with the cheapo stick packs I got in there now.

Mark
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:26 PM   #1020
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtveten
Oh well I guess I'll just stick with the cheapo stick packs I got in there now.

Mark
Yeah I have to admit for a starter box I would not use anything else especially as they get pretty beat up during use and they get fuel and all sorts of good stuff though them so I would stick to the cheap stuff.