R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-21-2007, 09:43 AM   #976
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray
Does anyone have a chart or graph showing a 3200 vs nimh 4200 discharge curve @20-30a?

I have the orion carbon advantage that supports lipo, how long would a full charge take on it?
If your pack is already discharged , its takes about 65 minutes for a fresh charge.... (3200 Carbon)

or

about 25 to 30 minutes to repeak a pack that has about 1000 mili amps used up...
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:46 AM   #977
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportpak
How do you check each cell? I assume you use the balance port on top, but what with that? I don't want to go poking around and short the thing out. Help please..
See post below \/

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:48 AM   #978
Tech Addict

Each cell can be accessed for charging or checking with a volt meter by:

To access one side or cell:
+of battery & + of volt meter
Blancing port of battery & - of volt meter

To access the other side or cell:
- of battery & - of volt meter
balancing port of battery & + of volt meter

For those who are veterans of NiMH think of the balancing port as the bar between to cells of a two cell pack.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
Old 03-21-2007, 09:53 AM   #979
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlack
Starting at 6.0V it would probably take around 80 min. at 3.2A (1C) and about 50 min. at 6A (2C)

After you run for 5 min. you can simply top it off depending on your chassis and setup it can take as little 15 min. to top it off after an average run.

Nice, that works nicely for keeping it charged between rounds.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:00 PM   #980
Tech Champion

One more n00b question, if I got a plug to fit could I use my e-flite balancing charger once in a while to balance the pack, It only does .6a I believe, but it supports up to 3S packs, I know it would be slow, I just want to make sure it wouldn't over charge the pack for any reason.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:05 PM   #981
Tech Addict

Quote:
One more n00b question, if I got a plug to fit could I use my e-flite balancing charger once in a while to balance the pack, It only does .6a I believe, but it supports up to 3S packs, I know it would be slow, I just want to make sure it wouldn't over charge the pack for any reason.
Chances are it will not charge the battery to capacity as many of these plu-in chargers under 1A have a built in cut off based on capacity.
Chances are your charger will only charge up to around a 600mAh hour battery fully, is this a charger that has come in an RTF kit?

Old 03-22-2007, 12:37 PM   #982
Tech Champion

Quote:
Chances are it will not charge the battery to capacity as many of these plu-in chargers under 1A have a built in cut off based on capacity.
Chances are your charger will only charge up to around a 600mAh hour battery fully, is this a charger that has come in an RTF kit?
Yes with the blade CX2, not a big deal just seeing if it was feasable.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:39 PM   #983
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

[QUOTE=MikeXray]Does anyone have a chart or graph showing a 3200 vs nimh 4200 discharge curve @20-30a? QUOTE]

Cliff, any data to answer this?
MPH
414MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 05:39 PM   #984
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to c1 racin Send a message via AIM to c1 racin Send a message via Yahoo to c1 racin

Quote:
Each cell can be accessed for charging or checking with a volt meter by:

To access one side or cell:
+of battery & + of volt meter
Blancing port of battery & - of volt meter

To access the other side or cell:
- of battery & - of volt meter
balancing port of battery & + of volt meter

For those who are veterans of NiMH think of the balancing port as the bar between to cells of a two cell pack.
MrBlack,
Using your instructions above I just checked my four 3200 Carbon LiPo packs. Two packs are two weeks old and two are a week old. By OLD I mean how long I've had them. As I don't know how to tell when they were made. Anyway, here are the pack numbers.

Two week old packs:
#1 (+side) 4.1933 (-side) 4.1722
#2 (+side) 4.1735 (-side) 4.1933

New packs:
#1 (+side) 4.1759 (-side) 4.1671
#2 (+side) 4.3484 (-side) 3.9679

Old packs have two 5 minute runs on them each and then recharged. The two new packs have only been charged since I received them Tuesday (3/20/02)

Now after all that my questions.
1) Are those typical numbers for the packs?
2) What difference in the two numbers do you recommend balancing?
3) Your recommendations for each pack?

Team Orion Avionics Advanced Flight Charger use for the charging and set to the setting as per the ATTENTION sheet included with the packs. Checked with a Fluke 187

Thank you for you time and input.
c1 racin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:55 AM   #985
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

MrBlack,

I have the Hyperian LBA10 balancer. I was wondering if I could do the same harness mod to balance the 3200s. I attached the pictures to refresh your memory. I'd like to get the Orion balancer, but I already have this one. Thanks.

www.summitrcraceway.com

Last edited by sportpak; 12-29-2007 at 11:48 AM.
sportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:16 AM   #986
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportpak
MrBlack,

I have the Hyperian LBA10 balancer. I was wondering if I could do the same harness mod to balance the 3200s. I attached the pictures to refresh your memory. I'd like to get the Orion balancer, but I already have this one. Thanks.
As long as the harness has the wires configured in the same pattern then yes you can use that balancer.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:21 AM   #987
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1 racin
Two week old packs:
#1 (+side) 4.1933 (-side) 4.1722
#2 (+side) 4.1735 (-side) 4.1933

New packs:
#1 (+side) 4.1759 (-side) 4.1671
#2 (+side) 4.3484 (-side) 3.9679
The new pack has a slight missbalance (but I would double check to be sure as a new battery showing this is a new one) if you know somebody with a balancer I would just borrow it and balance it out or you can set the Avionics Charger to charge one cell (3.7v) and charge each up individually at 3.7V , 3200mAh using the same connections you are using to balance them.

If you cannot get the cells to balance out then we will gladly replace the pack for you and submit the one you have to Kokam for analysis.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:22 AM   #988
Tech Addict

[QUOTE=414MPH]
Quote:
Does anyone have a chart or graph showing a 3200 vs nimh 4200 discharge curve @20-30a? QUOTE]

Cliff, any data to answer this?
MPH
I sent in the request hopefully I will have the charts soon and I will post them.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:37 AM   #989
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to c1 racin Send a message via AIM to c1 racin Send a message via Yahoo to c1 racin

Quote:
The new pack has a slight missbalance (but I would double check to be sure as a new battery showing this is a new one) if you know somebody with a balancer I would just borrow it and balance it out or you can set the Avionics Charger to charge one cell (3.7v) and charge each up individually at 3.7V , 3200mAh using the same connections you are using to balance them.

If you cannot get the cells to balance out then we will gladly replace the pack for you and submit the one you have to Kokam for analysis.
Thank you for the input. I will use a Orion balancer of a friend of mine and let you know the outcome.

1) Would it be better to use the balancer alone, or inline with the charger while charging?
2) What difference in the + and - side do you recommend to cause any cells to need balancing?

Thank you again
c1 racin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:52 AM   #990
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1 racin
Thank you for the input. I will use a Orion balancer of a friend of mine and let you know the outcome.

1) Would it be better to use the balancer alone, or inline with the charger while charging?
2) What difference in the + and - side do you recommend to cause any cells to need balancing?

Thank you again
I just use it stand alone as it will give you a faster turn around if you balance then charge seperately.

I am not sure what you mean by the second question? The positive goes to the positive of cell 1 the neg goes to the neg of cell 2 the blancing port is the junction between the neg of cell one and the pos of cell 2.