R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-12-2007, 09:40 AM   #901
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by markf3x
Not sure anybody can come up with any sort of hard numbers... As important, your better off not discharging as much out of the battery before recharging.. ie- don't even come close to fully discharging..
good luck
I've also read that keeping slightly below the 4.2 peak can also increase life....say stopping at 95-98% charge full. The Cellpro gives you a percent charge as it charges but doesn't have an option for stopping below 100%. Perhaps it is something they should look at.
Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:41 AM   #902
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital
I have a duratrax ice. Anyone charge theres at 6.4 (2c) rather then 3.2(1c)? It says it reduces the # of cycles but does anyone know how quickly? Just looking to charger a little quicker.
or8ital - I haven't tested the 3200 mAh cell nor have I tested the 2400 mAh used in the 4800 pack. I did test the Kokam 350, 740, 910, 1500, and 2000 mAh cells at a 2C charge. All of them died a premature death under 100 cycles - some died in less than 50 cycles. Cliff thinks that the bigger cells are more tolerant, but I have no real data to show that.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:41 AM   #903
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Demon
I too am going the ways of lipo. I have a few q's though.
With my mamba max esc, it has auto cutoff, but it also has a 6v cutoff option aswell. I would rather use the 6v cutoff, because then i know for sure itll cutoff then, but will a 6v cutoff be safe? I know the novak LVC module cuts off at 6.25. Ill still be using my NIMH packs for bashin around, and the 3200 at my local track for drift sessions, so the auto cut-off might be the go if i still stick with the SC cells

Some of you may think, its only drifting, so its not worth getting a lipo. I have weight issues with my current chassis, and i believe the lighter weight of a lipo will fix or help the problem. And with SC cells, i would rather use matched packs then zapped or standard packs, and matched packs here in AUS go for around the same price as a brand new lipo delivered! So really, i think its worth the switch...
Both cutoffs are fine however when you are done running you still need to disconnect the battery a cut-off just cuts power to the motor and does not completely remove the connection from the battery. Some customers have purchsed cut-offs and then left the battery stored connected in the car and a month later their battery will not take a charge.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:44 AM   #904
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretsg
Will the Great Planes Equinox balancer work with these batteries and an Orion Advantage Charger?
I would contact Great Planes as they should be able to tell you. As it is not our product (Equinox) I cannot speak for them.

I think it probably could but aging I cannot be 100% sure.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
Old 03-12-2007, 10:45 AM   #905
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaster
I've also read that keeping slightly below the 4.2 peak can also increase life....say stopping at 95-98% charge full. The Cellpro gives you a percent charge as it charges but doesn't have an option for stopping below 100%. Perhaps it is something they should look at.
Charging to 4.15 or 4.10 should increase cycle life - but the Kokam cells are good for 400+ cycles - isn't that enough??!!

At this time very few Lipo chargers will charge to less than 4.20V. I believe the TME Extrema charger is one than can do this. It would be nice if all future chargers have a setting to do a 3.85/cell charge setting for optimal storage
Old 03-12-2007, 10:48 AM   #906
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR JOLLY
MR BLACK where are you

got a balencer (pics to follow) proper made up one to fit the orion connections

it`s a charge through balencer

so got me 4800 back out & when it starts to charge the pack is taking like 4.6a & the pk is showing 8.3v

then the balencer cut`s in & shows ;voltage Error, open circuit `
do you reckon some things gone wrong inside the pk
What balancer did you get? have you contacted the maker of this balancer?

What charger are you using? 4.6A is a bit high if you are charging at 1C and the charger detects the capacity automatically it is thinking you have a 4600mAh back?

Old 03-12-2007, 10:50 AM   #907
Tech Addict

Quote:
Anyone?
We have been told by Kokam that the reduction in life span is very minimal and we have 4800 batteries with more then a 100 cycles at 2C.

We will have official data on this soon.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:52 AM   #908
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phresko
Any plans for a 3s lipo pack from Team Orion?
We have had plans for this for quite a while, what they are I cannot disclose at this time.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:34 PM   #909
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlack
What balancer did you get? have you contacted the maker of this balancer?

What charger are you using? 4.6A is a bit high if you are charging at 1C and the charger detects the capacity automatically it is thinking you have a 4600mAh back?
PROPEAK PRODIGY II
set it too 4800 capacity ,then it goes into 4.8a till the voltage gets near the 8.4 mark then drops down till 1 a like /like it has done for ages then the li-po went soft

anyway back on the li-po band wagon after a little rest

this is the platinum orion 4800 that i have

http://www.trakpower.com/

no to contacting
but i will go up the LHS in the next coouple of days to see what they think

i`m a bit scared it`s taking 4.6a when the batt is regestring 8.3av all ready
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:46 PM   #910
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to sim600

MrBlack,
Glad you are on here. In the instructions that came with the 3200 Carbon LiPo, it says to charge it between 2amps and 3.2amps. What happens if we charge it at under 2amps with a LiPo charger? Thanks.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:20 PM   #911
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to sim600

MR JOLLY,
That Trakpower 4900mah pack is not made by Team Orion. Still going at 4.6a when the voltage is 8.3 doesn't sound right at all. It should be way under 1 amp by then, I think. Hopefully, the reading was wrong. Is it easy to open up the case of that pack? If you can check inside, can see if the battery has swollen up or not. But you are right, the best thing to do is check with the LHS.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:49 AM   #912
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim600
MR JOLLY,
That Trakpower 4900mah pack is not made by Team Orion. Still going at 4.6a when the voltage is 8.3 doesn't sound right at all. It should be way under 1 amp by then, I think. Hopefully, the reading was wrong. Is it easy to open up the case of that pack? If you can check inside, can see if the battery has swollen up or not. But you are right, the best thing to do is check with the LHS.
just the balencer
don;t have the gold bar i have a platinum one instead

nope you read it right
this is why i'm on here ,don;t want any accidents
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 06:38 AM   #913
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have 2 3200 Orion carbon lipos, I am wondering how long will they be competitive with the ever developing 4200 WC's and newer cells? I feel right now the 3200 Lipo is on par with a good 4200.
Goggles Paesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:21 AM   #914
Tech Master

Quote:
I have a duratrax ice. Anyone charge theres at 6.4 (2c) rather then 3.2(1c)? It says it reduces the # of cycles but does anyone know how quickly? Just looking to charger a little quicker.
Here's a plot of the Kokam 740mAh 20C cell. There are 12 cells on this plot. 6 are charged at 2C, and 6 charged at 1C. Out of each group of 6, 2 are pulse discharged at 16-20C, 25-30C, and 34-41C.

All the cells charged at 2C dropped like a rock regardless of discharge rate. All the cells charged at 1C held up really well regardless of discharge rate - losing less than 5% capacity at 450 cycles. These are full charge/discharge cycles with a cutoff at 2.8V/cell.

Testing of cells 2000mAh and below had similar results. Hopefully, Cliff will be able to share results of 2C charging of cells greater than 2000mAh.
Attached Thumbnails
Team Orion 3200mAh Race Spec LiPo-kokam_1c_vs_2c.jpg  
Old 03-13-2007, 11:38 AM   #915
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by linger
Here's a plot of the Kokam 740mAh 20C cell. There are 12 cells on this plot. 6 are charged at 2C, and 6 charged at 1C. Out of each group of 6, 2 are pulse discharged at 16-20C, 25-30C, and 34-41C.

All the cells charged at 2C dropped like a rock regardless of discharge rate. All the cells charged at 1C held up really well regardless of discharge rate - losing less than 5% capacity at 450 cycles. These are full charge/discharge cycles with a cutoff at 2.8V/cell.

Testing of cells 2000mAh and below had similar results. Hopefully, Cliff will be able to share results of 2C charging of cells greater than 2000mAh.
Wow...great info. Really confirms that one should not push the charge rate.
Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote