R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-08-2007, 06:09 PM   #871
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Talking Cell Pro 4S or Scorpion

Which is the best suited for charging the Orion 4800mah packs? What are the pro's and cons of each charger is which is better value?

"Release the Kraken"
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 07:04 PM   #872
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlack

http://www.batterieswholesale.com/ba...ry_charger.htm

Are those two chargers OEM? I'm thinking of getting a 2nd charger that I can use for all my surface/air lipo. I have the ice already. The swallows is available at my lhs and the price is affordable.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:42 PM   #873
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyhayyim
I reall y want to try the small orion Avionics charger for $29. However, how do you charge Orion 4800mah Lipo packs with this charger? From the pics it looks like it has a JST plug at the end...not even a tamiya plug, or banana plug...so who are you guys using this charger to charger Orion LIpo's?
you need a charger than can handle at least 1C charge rate for the lipo that you will be using for the orion platinum 4800, you need a charger that has at least a 4.8 amp charge rate.

note: you can still use a lipo charger with a lower charge rate, but it will take a long time to charge a 4800mah pack. i think the small avionics charger charges at only 1amp?

im using yokomo's version of the duratrax ice. orion has a higher model avionics charger (around $80.00) and it has a max 5amp charge rate, perfect for your platinum 4800
marvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:47 PM   #874
Tech Adept

The small avionics charger charges at 5amps max.

Input Voltage: 11.0-15.0V DC
Battery Type and Cells: 1-14 NiCd/NiMH cells
1-5 LiIo and LiPo cells
1.6 (2v per cell) Lead Acid bateries
Charge Current: 0.1A - 5A
Discharge Current: 0.1A - 1A
Trickle Charge Current: 0 - 250mA
Charge Termination: Zero Delta V peak detection for NiCd & NiMH cells
Constant Current/Constant Voltage for LiIo &
LiPo batteries
Cycling: Charge>Discharge/Discharge>Charge
Display Type: 2 line 16 character LCD backlit
Input Lead Length: 31" (787mm)
Output Lead Length: 7" (178mm)
Johnny9s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:53 PM   #875
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

i think he was talking about the $29+ one ...

Team Orion Avionics Advantage Park Flight Charger

just found out the charge rate: Automatic charge current (.01-3.0A)

the one i was recommending is the $80 charger, that's the one you posted

Team Orion Avionics Advanced Flight Charger
marvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:55 PM   #876
Tech Adept

Oh yeah, that one is 3 amps max
Johnny9s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:12 PM   #877
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

There seems to be a LOT of chargers that look like those (including Orion's) that have identical features and function. I'm guessing it's an OEM job, or at least some kind of common component or something. I don't exactly understand how those deals work.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 12:52 AM   #878
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

http://www.maxamps.com/proddetail.php?prod=EOS1210i

http://www.maxamps.com/proddetail.php?prod=LBA10

These are my babies. 200 bux but worth it. The charger sill charge just about any lipo pack imaginable at up to 2c and if you get 2 of the balencers, you can hook them up inseries and charge 2 of the same cells at the same time. Instead of having 2 chargers, all you need is 2 blalencers. that salmost like saving money in the long run My thought is that you should only have to buy a lipo chager once in your life so you might as well spend a little extra and get the best.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:11 AM   #879
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggys40oz
http://www.maxamps.com/proddetail.php?prod=EOS1210i

http://www.maxamps.com/proddetail.php?prod=LBA10

These are my babies. 200 bux but worth it. The charger sill charge just about any lipo pack imaginable at up to 2c and if you get 2 of the balencers, you can hook them up inseries and charge 2 of the same cells at the same time. Instead of having 2 chargers, all you need is 2 blalencers. that salmost like saving money in the long run My thought is that you should only have to buy a lipo chager once in your life so you might as well spend a little extra and get the best.
Thats what I am looking for! I am looking for the best charger for my lipo's that can charge and balance my cells, and can also charge 2 packs simultaniusly. If one charger cant do this, then I need the 2 chargers so I can charge 2 packs at the same time, but without having to pay $300 for 2 chargers...I thought the Brain 977 would take care of that, but Mr. Black doesnt recommend it, so I am looking for the next best option. I already have an Ice Charger, and its great. But it doesnt have balancing, and there is no way of charging 2 packs with it at the same time...Maybe the Scorpion is the way to go...I can get 2 Scorpion chargers for $150, plus the $20 balancer, and for $170 charge 2 packs at the same time, plus get them balanced...the downside is the Scorpion chargers will need power supply, since its not DC...if anyone has better suggestions, please help....

"Release the Kraken"
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 10:26 AM   #880
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
I reall y want to try the small orion Avionics charger for $29. However, how do you charge Orion 4800mah Lipo packs with this charger? From the pics it looks like it has a JST plug at the end...not even a tamiya plug, or banana plug...so who are you guys using this charger to charger Orion LIpo's?
The 3200 packs come with a pre-wired conversion plug.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 10:36 AM   #881
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Thats what I am looking for! I am looking for the best charger for my lipo's that can charge and balance my cells, and can also charge 2 packs simultaniusly. If one charger cant do this, then I need the 2 chargers so I can charge 2 packs at the same time, but without having to pay $300 for 2 chargers...I thought the Brain 977 would take care of that, but Mr. Black doesnt recommend it, so I am looking for the next best option. I already have an Ice Charger, and its great. But it doesnt have balancing, and there is no way of charging 2 packs with it at the same time...Maybe the Scorpion is the way to go...I can get 2 Scorpion chargers for $150, plus the $20 balancer, and for $170 charge 2 packs at the same time, plus get them balanced...the downside is the Scorpion chargers will need power supply, since its not DC...if anyone has better suggestions, please help....
http://www.allerc.com/product_info.php?products_id=2787

This page has everything you need to charge 2 packs at the same time for only 220 bucks. (charger, (2) balencers, all cables req'd). Allyou need is a power supply.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:00 PM   #882
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
Harbinger!
Actually more of a herald.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 12:02 PM   #883
Tech Addict

Quote:
To use this charger you will have to install other plugs and for charging a 4800 with this it will take forever because it charges at 3A top. We recommend it for 3200's and for those desperate to use the cheapest charger avai;able for the 4800's if you do use it for the 4800 I would recommend having proper ventilation as the charger will get hot as it will running for so long.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 02:18 PM   #884
Tech Rookie

I'm using the Multiplex LN-5014. I'm really happy with it and the build quality looks excellent. I too have noticed that the Avionics, Hyperion E05si, multiplex ln-5014, triton jr., swallow, ripmax, and a couple others are all pretty darn similar looking with identicle specs and just minor cosmetic differences. I got the multiplex new for about $65 shipped after Tower discounts and free shipping. Considering maxamps sells the E05si for $90 plus shipping, I think it's a bargain. I've been in the hobby for 18 years and have owned more than my share of chargers from a wall charger to a turbo35, but this is my first lipo experiance. I can honestly say when you watch the CC/CV do it's thing on the LCD, it's a thing of beauty to watch. I was mezmerized.
speedythecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 03:05 PM   #885
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to rampal

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedythecat
I'm using the Multiplex LN-5014. I'm really happy with it and the build quality looks excellent. I too have noticed that the Avionics, Hyperion E05si, multiplex ln-5014, triton jr., swallow, ripmax, and a couple others are all pretty darn similar looking with identicle specs and just minor cosmetic differences. I got the multiplex new for about $65 shipped after Tower discounts and free shipping. Considering maxamps sells the E05si for $90 plus shipping, I think it's a bargain. I've been in the hobby for 18 years and have owned more than my share of chargers from a wall charger to a turbo35, but this is my first lipo experiance. I can honestly say when you watch the CC/CV do it's thing on the LCD, it's a thing of beauty to watch. I was mezmerized.
I have an ICE an a multiplex LN-5014. I would say that both are great charges for lipo, I charge both my 4800 with them indistintely and the two provide great results....
rampal is offline   Reply With Quote