R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-07-2007, 03:07 PM   #841
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainey
Being that I am new to the Lipo deal but have been using Nimh batteries for a while, all of this info is vey helpful. I will be purchasing some Lipos in the very near future since we allow them in our racing series. (see sig) I do have one question though. After reading all of the info someone posted about the diff between "top tier" and China products, I was wondering why the price diff between the Peakand Orion batteries. They look to be the same and i even noticed that Mr Black has both companies listed in his sig. My understanding is that these companies are the same, so to speak.
Peak and Orion are sister companies and as such many of their product are produced by one or the other for the both.

Yes the Peak and Orion Batteries are the same just packaging is different.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 03:10 PM   #842
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzo
At least 2 of my packs came with an insert that specifically said do NOT use the MRC 977 charger. Don't known the reason, perhaps Mr Black has an idea.
Uh oh....sounds like the 977 is the "bad" Brain. If I recall, it doesn't employ a voltage feedback circuit...just charge capacity...or perhaps it doesn't have the capacity to determine the cell count (ie. 1S, 2S.) This is a recipe for disaster....a repeak or incorrect setting by the user is going to result in huge overcharge.
Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 03:14 PM   #843
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaster
I've been using Lipos for about three years. I found one I had forgot about at the bottom of a box of RC parts. Not sure when or how much I charged it but it has been at least two years. It still had 80% of its charge. It helps that it set in a cold basement. Heat is the major killer of Lipos...the hotter they are, when you cycle them, or when they are sitting around, the faster they will age (permanently lose capacity.)

You can peak them at any time, but it really isn't necessary. Just don't leave them in your hot car. If you really want to increase their life (though it is head and shoulders better than NiMh now) you can leave them in the refrigerator. Just be sure to get them back out, with enough time to fully warm up, before you use them. The cold temperature really knocks down their performance.
I would discourage against putting them in a refridgerator as going from very cold to instantly warm and back as it can create condensation that could damge the internal PC board.

Mildly cool is good but a refridgerator may be a little much.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
Old 03-07-2007, 03:17 PM   #844
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Can anybody share their experience with fitting this pack into a T2'007? Do you have to remove the plastic retaining pieces on the chassis? Carpet spec or EU? What about weight balance?
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 03:22 PM   #845
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzo
At least 2 of my packs came with an insert that specifically said do NOT use the MRC 977 charger. Don't known the reason, perhaps Mr Black has an idea.
We had zero failures in 6 months of testing using other chargers then after the first batch was released we had 3 failures within a week, one customer had 2 of them both customers were using a MRC 977 we then immediately purchased one and had we not been closely montoring the charge we would have destroyed several batteries as the charger seem to have a mind of it's own which would have lead to several battery failures. This is why we recommend against it.

Old 03-07-2007, 03:25 PM   #846
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
Can anybody share their experience with fitting this pack into a T2'007? Do you have to remove the plastic retaining pieces on the chassis? Carpet spec or EU? What about weight balance?
Just pull the plastic retaining pieces out and move the batt,pack all the way to the outside.
South Texas Hobbies
Chris g. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 03:26 PM   #847
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris g.
Just pull the plastic retaining pieces out and move the batt,pack all the way to the outside.
Cool, thanks. Are you taping or using the battery strap? I've had trouble with it sliding around using the strap on other cars, and was hoping I could use the plastic pieces to keep it in place.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:29 PM   #848
Tech Initiate

I'm taping them in less weight...
South Texas Hobbies
Old 03-07-2007, 03:31 PM   #849
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlack
I would discourage against putting them in a refridgerator as going from very cold to instantly warm and back as it can create condensation that could damge the internal PC board.

Mildly cool is good but a refridgerator may be a little much.
I've seen this "concern" voiced before and it is certainly legitimate.

However, in the summer, in humid climates, the exact same thing happens when going from the airconditioned house to the 90% humid/ 95 degree outdoors. I've had water literally dripping off my RC cars in that condition...enough to make me decide to let them sit awhile for fear of shorting out the ESC.

I would expect the same restriction or warning to be placed on the Lipo batteries.

I don't get anywhere near that kind of condensation when taking the batteries out of the fridge and I always let them warmup before using them.

There is a trick used in other fields to protect against this condensation. The item is placed in a sealed baggy after it cools and remains there until it warms up. Because it was placed in the baggy with dry, cold air, condensation doesn't occur during warmup.

I wouldn't recommend refrigerating the batteries on a casual basis....only for long term. It takes planning to have the batteries ready when you need them.

Funny anecdote relative to electronics and condensation. At the place I used to work they gave us all laptops. Unfortunately, the place wasn't very secure so we were advised to take them home with us at night vs. leaving them locked in their stations. Often they would remain in the car overnight...locked in the trunk. Remember plugging in my laptop one cold morning and hearing all kinds of scratchy pops and crackles coming out of it. At first I absentmindedly thought it was the speakers being affected by the cold. Then it dawned on me. The thing was full of condensation. Luckily I didn't fry something before I figured it out. Memo to the office: Do not leave your laptop in the car overnight in cold weather.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:31 PM   #850
Tech Initiate

And as for them moving around,i have took some hard hit's from other cars.And the batt.pack never moved..
South Texas Hobbies
Old 03-07-2007, 03:37 PM   #851
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlack
...condensation that could damge the internal PC board.
P.S. What is the internal PC board for? Many Lipos...built for tools, PCs, etc, have internal boards to protect against overcharging and undercharging and some even have built in balancing circuits. I haven't heard of anything like that for these batteries.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:29 PM   #852
Tech Adept

syndr0me

I think the T2 007 fitting is the same as an fk05.
What I found best was to remove the 2 centre retaining pieces and then file the bottom edge of the four corner ones to allow for the flat edges of the 3200. I use a battery strap with this and have no problems.
You will probally find if you just remove all the plastic retainers the pack can move with a strap (I suppose tape would hold them but the slots are wider than the 3200 so the pack could still move).
Steve B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 04:42 PM   #853
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B
syndr0me

I think the T2 007 fitting is the same as an fk05.
What I found best was to remove the 2 centre retaining pieces and then file the bottom edge of the four corner ones to allow for the flat edges of the 3200. I use a battery strap with this and have no problems.
You will probally find if you just remove all the plastic retainers the pack can move with a strap (I suppose tape would hold them but the slots are wider than the 3200 so the pack could still move).
Cool, thank you. I see on the XRay forum that some people are trimming away a small part of the battery case as well.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:47 PM   #854
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
Cool, thank you. I see on the XRay forum that some people are trimming away a small part of the battery case as well.
That would be the last thing i would do... I have been using the tape for a while now and the battery never moves... There's no ware makers anywhere on the bottom of the pack. And like i said before less weight..
South Texas Hobbies
Old 03-07-2007, 06:47 PM   #855
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaster
A cool basement is a better place and if they sit for long periods the refrigerator is not a bad idea.

A ref? You're kidding? I'm not sure how hazardous lipo chemistry is but I'm pretty sure Nickel in nicd and nimh is toxic and should be away from food, etc.