R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-01-2007, 03:18 PM   #601
Tech Adept

pug 205 gti.

I run 19 turn and the 3200's discharge about 2000 to 2100 mah. It takes about 45 - 50 min to completly charge but after 35 mins you have about 2000 mah back in the pack so is charged plenty to race again.
I use 2 packs,

Pack 1 - 5 min practice
Charge 3.2A

Pack 2 - 5 min race
Charge 3.2A

Pack 1 - 5 min race

Pack 2 - 5 min race

I have enough time to do this with only for heats (about 35-40 min between races).

SlamMan
For weight on my Xray FK05 I have 60g under battery strap on top of the battrey, 40g behind the bat on the chassis, 02g in front of the bat on the chassis and the rest down the middle beneath the belt.
Steve B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:24 PM   #602
Tech Fanatic

Thanks guys. That gives me some good direction.

OnRoadColorado.com
Colorado On Road RC Club
SlamMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:50 PM   #603
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I finally saw the light and picked up a Avionics charger. I have a question
Will shortening the leads for the power supply affect the performance of the charger?
I would like a little less wire, and the bullet connectors to hook into my power supply
I cant wait to charge the 3200 with this baby. Hopefully I will be able to pick up 1 more pack before Trackside ( still on the fence about whether to go 3200 or 4800, anyone ? Bueller?)

BP SHADOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:48 PM   #604
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B
pug 205 gti.

I run 19 turn and the 3200's discharge about 2000 to 2100 mah. It takes about 45 - 50 min to completly charge but after 35 mins you have about 2000 mah back in the pack so is charged plenty to race again.
I use 2 packs,

Pack 1 - 5 min practice
Charge 3.2A

Pack 2 - 5 min race
Charge 3.2A

Pack 1 - 5 min race

Pack 2 - 5 min race

I have enough time to do this with only for heats (about 35-40 min between races).

SlamMan
For weight on my Xray FK05 I have 60g under battery strap on top of the battrey, 40g behind the bat on the chassis, 02g in front of the bat on the chassis and the rest down the middle beneath the belt.
35 mins sounds right for 2000mah. That's too long for me. I think you need 2 packs atleast. With the 4800mah I use about the same mah but charging it takes only 15-20 mins and by that time the motor is cool again so just keep on going for the whole day with that routine till your fingers get fatigued.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:17 AM   #605
Tech Legend

Hey Rick !!!

Bad news ...
I just purchase the new Orion Li\po charger and I will be ordering 3 of the Orion 3200 Li-po packs today from my local race facility ......

Sorry.......

Last edited by Wild Cherry; 02-03-2007 at 10:32 AM.
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:24 AM   #606
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
I finally saw the light and picked up a Avionics charger. I have a question
Will shortening the leads for the power supply affect the performance of the charger?
I would like a little less wire, and the bullet connectors to hook into my power supply
I cant wait to charge the 3200 with this baby. Hopefully I will be able to pick up 1 more pack before Trackside ( still on the fence about whether to go 3200 or 4800, anyone ? Bueller?)

No shortening the lead should not effect the charger if done correctly I.E. no bad solder joints and a plug that is as efficient or better. However because many times users incorrectly apply plugs and we have now way of nowing one the wire has been modified caused problems then remodified to hide this any changing of either lead can void the warranty.

I personnally have done this without any issues however I am also not concerned about voiding warranties.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:27 AM   #607
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying G.E.O.
35 mins sounds right for 2000mah. That's too long for me. I think you need 2 packs atleast. With the 4800mah I use about the same mah but charging it takes only 15-20 mins and by that time the motor is cool again so just keep on going for the whole day with that routine till your fingers get fatigued.
I second this statement.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 07:15 PM   #608
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo

Mr Black- Can you make a recommendation on a LVC for the Carbon and Plat? I would rather be safe than sorry especially with three kids running with me. It's too easy to not notice the others' cars slow when we are all driving and they wouldn't see it either. I've been looking at the Novak smart stop but I've heard of one that includes a loud buzzer as well. Thanks.
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:35 AM   #609
Tech Legend

I already purchase the Advantage charger ...
But someone just informed me the Avionic`s charger perform`s better for charging the Li-po ....

Is this true ?
Old 02-03-2007, 10:41 AM   #610
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Holy mackerel Kuzo. You need a sponsor.
Right ON!
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:41 AM   #611
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
I already purchase the Advantage charger ...
But someone just informed me the Avionic`s charger perform`s better for charging the Li-po ....

Is this true ?
The beauty of LiPo is that thereis only one real charging method. Both the Advantage and the Avionics charge the battery the same way and will provide the same quality of charge. There are some differences:

The Advantage only charges 2-cell LiPo, but can charge at up to 10 amps while the Avionics will charge 1-4 cell LiPo but auto detects to charge at 1C.

Both charge NiMh, but Advantage at up to 10 amps and the Avionics at up to 5 amps.

Advantage has the other features like motor run-in and discharge plus more NiMh charging features.

If you have only one LiPo battery (to power car), and you are going to use NiMh as well (transmitter, receiver packs, to power car), you are better off with the Advantage.

If you plan on only using LiPo, the Avionics would be better. Personall, I use the Advantage to charge my LiPo and NiMH power packs plus my NiMh receiver packs, and use the less expensive (of the two) Avionics chargers to charge my transmitter batteries . I could use this to charge receiver batteries as well and it sells for like $35.00.

From what I know, I think you made the right choice.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:48 AM   #612
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamMan
I'm thinking about giving my 3200 a shot at the upcoming Omaha race. Can some of you guys give me suggestions as to how to go about making weight? I'll be running a T2 007'. How much weight am I looking at needing to add? Minimum weight is 1419 grams.
If you will run LiPo only:

The first thing to do is to weigh each side of the car. This means that you should remove your left side electronics and weight them, and then you should weigh your LiPo battery. You will notice that the weight of the LiPo battery is less than the weight of the electronics. With NiMh, the pack should weigh more than the elctrionics. So you will want to attach the difference in weight to the battery on its top and sides giving you a perfectly balanced car. Then you can place the weight needed to make the minimum equally to the left and right sides (or middle) of the chassis.

If you are going to switch between LiPo and NiMh, you will want to weigh each battery, and add the difference to the LiPo so that they weigh the same. This way to you can run either without having to make major set-up changes to compensate for the difference in weight.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:14 PM   #613
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UN4RACING
Holy mackerel Kuzo. You need a sponsor.
Right ON!
Nope. Now that I'm running brushless/lipo exclusively I only need tires and replacement parts every once in awhile.
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 01:00 PM   #614
Tech Legend

Thank you Rick !

you da man ...
Old 02-03-2007, 04:04 PM   #615
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
If you will run LiPo only:

The first thing to do is to weigh each side of the car. This means that you should remove your left side electronics and weight them, and then you should weigh your LiPo battery. You will notice that the weight of the LiPo battery is less than the weight of the electronics. With NiMh, the pack should weigh more than the elctrionics. So you will want to attach the difference in weight to the battery on its top and sides giving you a perfectly balanced car. Then you can place the weight needed to make the minimum equally to the left and right sides (or middle) of the chassis.

If you are going to switch between LiPo and NiMh, you will want to weigh each battery, and add the difference to the LiPo so that they weigh the same. This way to you can run either without having to make major set-up changes to compensate for the difference in weight.
Thanks for the input, Rick. This is my first "big" race so I appreciate the help. I do run NiMH packs when racing at the local Hobbytown club races so being able to easily switch back and forth would be nice. Would I realistically be able to add weight to the LiPo packs only, make weight and still have a relatively well balanced car? When running NiMH packs do you generally have to add weights to make weight? I run the Novak 13.5/GTB if that helps.

OnRoadColorado.com
Colorado On Road RC Club
SlamMan is offline   Reply With Quote