R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-01-2006, 10:00 PM   #46
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

What type of car are you trying to fit the 4800 in Or8? I have had great success with my solder blocks servo taped to a shrink wrapped 4800 in my corally. Aside from the solder blocks and factory battery strap I don't need any other securing methods and have not ever had teh battery move on me.
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:06 PM   #47
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

When I had an RDX I taped the 4800 to the battery strap then used the strap as normal. Easy to remove for charging or working on the car. I now do the same with my MI2EC.
rcdougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:36 PM   #48
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Not to mention the issue of the car becoming unbalanced is solved as well. In fact the weight couldn't be any lower in the chassis. Here's a few pics of the process and final result. I am making more blocks as we speak. Just gotta uy more solder.
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 05:58 AM   #49
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoherty
What type of car are you trying to fit the 4800 in Or8? I have had great success with my solder blocks servo taped to a shrink wrapped 4800 in my corally. Aside from the solder blocks and factory battery strap I don't need any other securing methods and have not ever had teh battery move on me.
Ive done something similar in the past. Obviously though Im sure we would rather not have to fabricate something. It would be nice to come out of the box working
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:05 AM   #50
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamMan
Next question, where are we at getting the RC governing bodies such as ROAR to allow these?
We have been assured by ROAR that they are looking at LiPos.

The problem, however, is the way batteries are currently approved for use. Batteries must be submitted for approval by September for use in the following calendar year. So even if ROAR said LiPos are legal, if a battery is not submitted by 9/06 (for example), it would not be allowed until 2008 at the earliest.

But(!), most tracks do not use this rule. In fact if your track allows GP4300 or IB4200 cells (which most in the U.S. do), they are already not following ROAR battery rules. These tracks can just as easily allow LiPo.

This is true for most of the big U.S. races as well. The U.S. Indoor Champs, Snowbirds, and IIC Vegas do not use ROAR battery rules either. They can allow LiPo.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:16 AM   #51
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to WhoMe

I know I may be behind the times in terms of information on Lipos. But are these suckers idiot proof now? In other words..even if abused will these things blow up? Also does your speedo need some sort of voltage cutoff so you dont drain them too far? Dont misunderstand I am not trying to stir up that old battery battle Im just seriously considering picking up one of these and selling the idea of running these to my local race director. Around here they are still VERY skeptical.
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:43 AM   #52
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe
I know I may be behind the times in terms of information on Lipos. But are these suckers idiot proof now? In other words..even if abused will these things blow up? Also does your speedo need some sort of voltage cutoff so you dont drain them too far? Dont misunderstand I am not trying to stir up that old battery battle Im just seriously considering picking up one of these and selling the idea of running these to my local race director. Around here they are still VERY skeptical.
Like they say, if you build it idiot proof, they will make a bigger idiot...
As far as hits in normal racing, I have not had one problem in my TC, and I have had a newbie hit me hard... It would not hurt you to have a voltage cutoff, and the new speedos by LRP have this cutoff built in, but really, you will notice the slow down on the track, when this happens, take the car off the track, this occurs around 6.5 for me with the 4800 pack. When I say it is noticeable, I mean it is really noticeable, like going from mod to Stock, difference and it is all at once. I have the new sphere in with the cutoff in my car, and I have not hit this cut off, because the slow down is so noticable. The biggest area of confussion seems to come for the charging of these cells. People want to charge them a higher rates for two different reasons. One - to cut down the charging time and Two - because they think this will give them more punch (this is not the case with LIPO, so do not do it), as far as One - all I can say is follow the instructions, and you will not have a problem (unless you have a deffective pack, less then 2% chance of that per Orion) I know if you search on this site, you will find people charging at higher rates then per the instructions, but I would not recommend it. It will decrease the life the LIPO and the advantage of faster charing times is not needed. You do not have to repeak LIPO, they will give the same punch... with out repeaking them.... I run my 3 heats, then peak and then the main. I do not always completely repeak the pack, just pump some juice back into them, to cover the main.

I'm not expert in LIPO, just a everyday user.....
bvoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:57 AM   #53
Tech Elite

This 3200 is the FIRST Lipo pack that I can see as a realistic replacement for your sub-C's.

The 4800 Orion was close, but still wouldn't have fitted well in all my cars. This one looks like it will, and combined with the lower price, lighter weight and sufficient runtime for racing makes a very attractive proposition.

It took several years for brushless to become a viable option for cars, I think the time has come for Lipo now.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:49 AM   #54
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to WhoMe

Thanks for the response bvoltz. I guess idiot proof isnt the correct term..Just really asking about the explosive quality Lipos are said to have. Catching fire is one thing (Nimhs catch fire) so even those arent idiot proof..but exploding is what keeps the skeptics at bay and track directors from allowing them. Personally I have very very little expierence with Lipos and know no one thats had problems. All you hear are the horror stories on the boards every now and again. However I havent read any stories about Orions plastic encased battery packs exploding..or catching fire for that matter. SOoooo Im definatly leaning towards getting some..
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:01 PM   #55
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

think of it this way. these are the same type of cells that are in your cell phone and you keep that in your pocket. and i have had my cell crushed by a car door.

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 01:01 PM   #56
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

just to add the phones

Dewalt,Bosch,Hilti,etc have/are all going over to Li-Po to power there cordless range of Hammer drills,etc & these hammer drills pull lot`s of amps without to much grief

also if the power tool industry are going over to Li-po /Li-Mn then could this spell the end for c-cells makers
c-cell market is for the power industry with RC racing as a spin off ,they are moving on to Li-Po

food for thought
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 01:14 PM   #57
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

NiMH might be more of a dinosaur in R/C than brushed motors in a hurry. R/C isn't going to sustain the companies when the power tool industry moves on, is it? Do they really have incentive to keep building newer and faster batteries, especially when R/C itself is also trying to move on to something new? It might be time to sell all this NiMH charging/discharging crap fast.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 01:29 PM   #58
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

there are a few people who still think the c-cell company`s only make c-cells for the R/C industry only (muppet`s)
And yes it could be the same scenerio in Li-po re;;matched & differing specs , but that`s how it is i`m afriad
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 02:19 PM   #59
Tech Master

Rick H.

Since the 3200 are closer to the capicity (run time) as 4200's will that require the battery to be repeaked atfer every race or will you still be able to race 2-3 races (19t sedan - carpet) without a recharge?

Thanks,
E
EricF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 02:40 PM   #60
Tech Addict

In answer to some questions:

Charging above 3.2A or 1C will not yield any performance advantage and only decrease the charging time at a cost of also decreasing the lifespan. If you charge say at 5A once because you want to get it charged faster one time you may not even see the difference but if you do this several times it will shorten the lifespan, by how much that veries with each case bottom line I would stick to 1C charging to ensure you get the most runs out of your cells.

The 3200's are less capcity then the 4800's so there runtime is less. I would suggest depending on your application testing runtime first as it varies with many things including track surface and drivers throttle usage. I would suggest the first time out seeing how long you can run and then decide from there. In testing we found the 3200 to provide the equivilent or better then a 4200IB's where as the 4800 provided much more runtime.

For those wanting the longest run I suggest the 4800 for those wanting to race todays 5-8 min. heats then the 3200 may be your ticket.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote