R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-04-2007, 10:12 PM   #541
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Great discussion going on here! I have recently joined the ranks of the Lipo runners. I ran my first race night last Friday with the 3200 in my 103GT. I just bought the Much More Cell Master to charge the Lipos, but I have a question and hopefully someone out there can shed some light. The max amps you can charge at in Lipo -Lion mode is 1amp. The charger has the ability to charge 1,2,or 3 cells , but the max setting is always 1amp, is this per cell? Can I change to 3 cell to charge quicker or will this damage the pack? At 1amp, the pack takes well over an hour to charge. Running from a full charge, I was able to get about 15min of run time. I think I ran about 10min in practice ,the first qual. , and the pack started to go flat at the 3 1/2 min mark of the second qual. at which time I pulled the car so I wouldnt hurt the pack. The problem came when I needed to charge back up for round 3. I didnt have enough time to charge the pack up, and thus had to pull the car before the end of the 3rd qual. Managed to get enough charge in it to run the whole main and finished second to a 103LM. I am sold on this technology, I wish more people would wake up and realize the value of Lipo. Any help with insight into the charger would be appreciated.
BP SHADOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:33 PM   #542
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Unfortunately, MM's Cell Master isn't a good choice for charging large LiPo packs due to its low charge rate (1A). I had one (still do) for my NiMH packs, and had to retire it once I switched to LiPo.

Many of us use Orion's Avionics Advantage charger for our LiPo packs. It's extremely small, less than half the price of the Cell Master, and works perfectly for the 3200 and 4800 packs.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMRH8&P=7

You can combine that charger with Much More's "Power Master Mini" which is a dinky 6.5A power supply that can be had for about $55. It provides plenty of power to charge the 3200 and 4800 packs, and is nearly as small as the charger. It's currently what I would consider the perfect combination, because they're both so dang small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
Great discussion going on here! I have recently joined the ranks of the Lipo runners. I ran my first race night last Friday with the 3200 in my 103GT. I just bought the Much More Cell Master to charge the Lipos, but I have a question and hopefully someone out there can shed some light. The max amps you can charge at in Lipo -Lion mode is 1amp. The charger has the ability to charge 1,2,or 3 cells , but the max setting is always 1amp, is this per cell? Can I change to 3 cell to charge quicker or will this damage the pack? At 1amp, the pack takes well over an hour to charge. Running from a full charge, I was able to get about 15min of run time. I think I ran about 10min in practice ,the first qual. , and the pack started to go flat at the 3 1/2 min mark of the second qual. at which time I pulled the car so I wouldnt hurt the pack. The problem came when I needed to charge back up for round 3. I didnt have enough time to charge the pack up, and thus had to pull the car before the end of the 3rd qual. Managed to get enough charge in it to run the whole main and finished second to a 103LM. I am sold on this technology, I wish more people would wake up and realize the value of Lipo. Any help with insight into the charger would be appreciated.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:51 PM   #543
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlack
It is not uncommon for it to take 70+ min. to charge battery back up from 6V I would not worry. If you still are nervous you can always check your battery with a volt meter if your charger does not show a Voltage read out. It should top out between 8.399 and 8.41 depending on the ambient temperature and humidity.

*Note, these factors effect all batteries though Li-Po only about .02V

Thank you for your reply. What is the recommended lowest voltage the pack should be at?
Yellowtaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:05 PM   #544
Tech Regular

isn't Orion's Avionics Advantage charger the same thing as the mutiplex?
tom235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:07 PM   #545
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to pinggoy

which would you guys preffer... he peak racing 3200 carbon lipo or the team orion 3200 lipo.. they look the same and i think its all the same. is it just the brand name change?? or one of them got a little more advantage than the other one
pinggoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:54 PM   #546
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinggoy
which would you guys preffer... he peak racing 3200 carbon lipo or the team orion 3200 lipo.. they look the same and i think its all the same. is it just the brand name change?? or one of them got a little more advantage than the other one
they're the same. one has a red label.. one has a blue. so which color do you like better?
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 06:23 PM   #547
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I run my pack this weekend after a couple of races with NiMH and I realized that I have to/can gear up higher using LiPo compared to NiMH gearing. I used a 19T C2 and could gear up from 26.17 to 27.36.
26.17 and NiMH (new 4200WC) resulted a 190+ temperature
27.36 and LiPo combination gave just under 180 add to that that the track has been changed to a more technical one with more corners (you would expect that it needs less gear). In both cases the motor was freshly rebuilt with new brushes.

For the straight-away speed the two gearing felt the same

Anybody else experienced something similar? What can be the reason?
cvt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:15 PM   #548
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

We all experienced it locally when switching to LiPo. We had to gear up a tooth or two on average, and the motors ran cooler. For whatever reason, the powerband of the motors seems to change a bit with LiPo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvt01
I run my pack this weekend after a couple of races with NiMH and I realized that I have to/can gear up higher using LiPo compared to NiMH gearing. I used a 19T C2 and could gear up from 26.17 to 27.36.
27.36 and LiPo combination gave just under 180 add to that that the track has been changed to a more technical one with more corners (you would expect that it needs less gear). In both cases the motor was freshly rebuilt with new brushes.

syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:48 PM   #549
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:

What in the world is a 26.17 vs, 27.36? is it metric roll out? That's the best I can guess that would make any sense.

MPH
414MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:06 PM   #550
Tech Addict

I guess it's a surprise for you but there is life outside of the US
I help you out 26.17 is 1.03 inches 27.36 is 1.08
Old 01-09-2007, 02:29 PM   #551
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
I guess it's a surprise for you but there is life outside of the US
I help you out 26.17 is 1.03 inches 27.36 is 1.08
You know, most of us talk about this in ratios, not rollout. Besides with rubber tires, the rollout is fixed. And the original poster didnt specify inches or mm, so I wouldnt go throwing insults around, it was a little vague to me as well
BP SHADOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 03:13 PM   #552
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

It would make sense if you think about it...the voltage is a little bit lower and the battery is lighter, so I would expect that you would need to gear it up a bit.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:10 PM   #553
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
You know, most of us talk about this in ratios, not rollout. Besides with rubber tires, the rollout is fixed. And the original poster didnt specify inches or mm, so I wouldnt go throwing insults around, it was a little vague to me as well
I just addressed his concerns using his style. Let's end this here.

Turbo Joe:

The car was the same weight because I added enough lead to make it legal but I guess the lower voltage has something to do with the phenomena.
Also an other story: a friend used a 4800 pack to practice at a big race. He used an LRP Brushless ESC and a 3.5 Novak. He found the gearing then when it came to the first qualifier where he had to use NiMH the same gearing thermaled the ESC around 4 minutes...
Old 01-10-2007, 03:00 AM   #554
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Just out of curiosity...was your car right at "legal" with the NiMh battery?

I mean, if you had to add weight for the Lipo...did you make the car weight the same...or just get to where the LiPo was at legal weight? It seems to me that plenty of cars are over legal weight with a NiMh battery...
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:17 PM   #555
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom235
isn't Orion's Avionics Advantage charger the same thing as the mutiplex?
No, it is not the same as the Multiplex both are built by different suppliers.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote