R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-31-2006, 02:46 AM   #526
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

At our track I run in the 4300 brushless lipo foam. We have so much extra time it really benifits eveyone. Alot more relaxed, no stress evening.
One of the pros at the track calls us the lazy class.
But it gives more time to share with other's.
2 4800 packs pre charged and you really dont even need a charger.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 10:31 AM   #527
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Just a quick question for the users of the 3200mAh carbon. After a 5 min. race it takes me about 45 to 50 min. at 3.2 amps to repeak. does this sound right? If this is right i'm thinking maybe I need three packs instead of the two that I have.
team green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 02:24 PM   #528
Tech Adept

About the same time for me (aprox 2000 mah goes back in).
If time is a push sometimes I find after 35 min when the amps have dropped right off there is nearly a full charge at this point and use them at this with out going below the 80% total discharge.
Steve B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 02:25 PM   #529
Tech Adept

I have 2 packs & get 5 min practice and 3 races with only 4 heats.
Steve B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 12:36 AM   #530
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Shookie
I am not Mr. Black but I know that a 12V car battery is just that a raw 12V.
A quality 12V Power Supply is a regulater and a very constant amount of Voltage. Meaning it delivers the 12V smoothly without any Voltage peaks and what not.
A Car Battery (12V) can and will change Voltage throughout the charge period and can cause the charger to false peak and a spiking Voltage is not good either.
Use a quality Power Supply with that charger.
Here is the cheapest quality one I could find.
http://www.buyreliant.com/psupplies/psv200.htm

Hope that helps,
-Shookie <><
Thanks for the link, that looks pretty good for the money.

What can I use to power the charger and charge my batteries when I am at the track or somewhere that there isn't an AC wall power outlet to connect to (if the automotive battery is not recommended)?
phresko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 07:11 PM   #531
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Why is the carbon longer than the platinum?? I had trouble fitting it in my mo3 and f103gt. I had to put spacers on my quick release for the mo3 and for the f103gt i would have to use tape. The platinum sits fine on the f103gt though.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:53 AM   #532
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phresko
Thanks for the link, that looks pretty good for the money.

What can I use to power the charger and charge my batteries when I am at the track or somewhere that there isn't an AC wall power outlet to connect to (if the automotive battery is not recommended)?
You "can" use a standard Lead-acid(automotive) battery if needed but we do not recoomend it because of the tendency to false peak and give "Input voltage" warnings. Most people simply use the battery that is in their car which most of the time is not fully charged and do not provide the needed voltage.

During the writing of the instruciton manual for our Flight Charger we had a big spike in customers calling claiming their charger would not work because they were getting "Input voltage" warnings. 100% of these customers did not realize that there source battery was not fully charged and upon recharging it they solved there own problem. This is why we put the message that we did not recommend using said battery as a power supply.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:57 AM   #533
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying G.E.O.
Why is the carbon longer than the platinum?? I had trouble fitting it in my mo3 and f103gt. I had to put spacers on my quick release for the mo3 and for the f103gt i would have to use tape. The platinum sits fine on the f103gt though.

How much difference are you seeing in your Battery lengths?

I have measured 3 of each battery here in the office and they are all within 1mm of ech other in length?

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
Old 01-02-2007, 06:22 PM   #534
Tech Apprentice

Hi there

I'm going to try to attach an interesting graph. It compares the discharge curves of an Orion 3200 and a Scorpion 3200 battery. They were both discharged at 10 amps on a West Mountain Radio CBA.

The graph is in jpg format. The curve that says Lipo is the Scorpion pack. Let me know what you think.
Attached Thumbnails
Team Orion 3200mAh Race Spec LiPo-battery-pack.jpg  
GaryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:37 AM   #535
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (98%+)
Default fitting 3200 on mini cooper

I just bought two orion 3200 for my mini cooper. My logic was instead of spending $60-70 for a matched stick pack which I can only use for mini cooper, I spent the money on the 3200 so I can use them on my touring car too.

To fit the 3200 on the mini, you need to trim off the edges of the battery holder so you can fit the clip back in. The cooper is a little top heavy w/ the lipo. It is about 230g lighter than a 4200 matched. I am going to add lead weight and go to softer springs to adjust the car.
straightaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 08:28 AM   #536
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlack
How much difference are you seeing in your Battery lengths?

I have measured 3 of each battery here in the office and they are all within 1mm of ech other in length?
Compared to the platinum its around 1mm longer. That +1mm actually makes a difference when using the quick release for the m03 so you need to put spacers and for the f103gt the platinum is already snug so 1mm makes the plastic holders unmountable with the carbon.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:29 AM   #537
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightaway
I just bought two orion 3200 for my mini cooper. My logic was instead of spending $60-70 for a matched stick pack which I can only use for mini cooper, I spent the money on the 3200 so I can use them on my touring car too.

To fit the 3200 on the mini, you need to trim off the edges of the battery holder so you can fit the clip back in. The cooper is a little top heavy w/ the lipo. It is about 230g lighter than a 4200 matched. I am going to add lead weight and go to softer springs to adjust the car.
I got a tip from the mini thread just as you said.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:17 PM   #538
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Got my charger in the mail today. WOOT, what a score. Ebay rocks when all are asleep. Got an ORI 30118 for a the same price as the ORI 30117 were going for. Can anyone say FREE LIPO!! $120 plus S&H and I'm am now an ORION Lipo guy for life?

Mr. Black, I will deliver your package to Rick and you will be an American Motorcycle GOD next week!

Marty
414MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 04:28 AM   #539
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Does anybody know how long it takes to charge a pack back up from the lowest capacity that is safe for the pack (such as using Novak li-po battery cut off device)? I have charged the pack for about 70 mins using avionics charger and wondered if I have over discharged them. I was running a TA05 with a stock motor but when I pulled the car off, I did not notice a major full off in speed ( I hope I am right). Please let me know. Thanks.
Yellowtaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:43 AM   #540
Tech Addict

It is not uncommon for it to take 70+ min. to charge battery back up from 6V I would not worry. If you still are nervous you can always check your battery with a volt meter if your charger does not show a Voltage read out. It should top out between 8.399 and 8.41 depending on the ambient temperature and humidity.

*Note, these factors effect all batteries though Li-Po only about .02V