R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-19-2006, 08:43 AM   #481
Tech Addict

We personally have over 100 runs and several batteries and non still need balancing out of the thousands we have sold we have only heard of 2-3 customer claiming they had to balance there batteries. Our batteries have been out for over a year now and this is the hard facts:

Percentage of batteries returned do to failure (defective or consumer abused combined) less then 0.1%

Percentage of batteries that customers have claimed they have had to balance less then 0.05%

Now based on this do you think we should add cost to the consumer for something they will more then likely not need?

A balancer is something that you will rarely use and need if you have good quality cells. One balancer could be potentially shared amongst several drivers. I know some Industry people are cringing right now thinking " You idiot, why are you telling them this we could sell more by leaving them in the dark" well that is not our policy.

We want the experience to be the best when purchasing an Orion product, that is something we are pushing harder then ever going forward it is not only about: trophies, we have been there won that at all levels multiple times, or paying Mr.Me,me,me as a driver to put a shiny face on mediocre product, or even coming out with the cheapest product, many times you get what you pay for. We are devoted 100% to our customers and making there experience with our product a great one this will help them, help the RC racing community and we hope it impacts the industry to follow suit helping to grow and take the Hobby.Sport of R/C onto the next step.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 08:46 AM   #482
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzo
Mr Jolly - The bigger question about balancing orion lipos is have you had to do it yet? I bought the balancer just in case and it's sitting on my shelf getting dusty and after thirty runs on a couple, the cells are within .02V of each other. Also, connectors are made to be altered in the rc world. Would you leave the stock Tamiya plugs on the lipo or cut off and replace?

Mr Black - How many runs have you seen on either orion lipo before balancing was necessary?
well i`ve got a 4800 which has gone soft (in racing terms)
i have posted quite a few pages back talking to Mr Black & all

this is the first & only 4800 that has gone soft (used it quite a bit aswell)

But trying to get a balencer for these packs is a night mare over here (uk)
few guy`s have said `make you own up` but i don`t think this is a wise thing to be telling customers to do a cut & shut ie;;wrong wire in wrong hole is not good

i know for a fact (uk) airplane guys balence qutie regulary to keep the `racing performance up & keep the Li-Po`s in tip top sharp condition`
inline charging ones are the `thing` to have at the mo!
airplane guys been using Li-Po`s for the last 3-4 years & i don`t think they would do it if it wasen`t any good

PS;; i have the carbon 3200 now so there is no negative feelings from me re;;ORION/PEAK Li-pO`S
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 08:54 AM   #483
Tech Addict

Also just so everyone knows we will have a small quantity of harnesses pre-made for our Car Li-Po's and when they become available we will sell them direct for those that want them. We have had a grand total of 3 requests from our customers but since it is such a simple thing to make we can do them in small quantities in house. I will post a price and availability on this thread when we have it completed.

If the demand is high we will produce them in larger quantity making sure if you want it you can get it.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
Old 12-19-2006, 09:28 AM   #484
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlack
Also just so everyone knows we will have a small quantity of harnesses pre-made for our Car Li-Po's and when they become available we will sell them direct for those that want them. We have had a grand total of 3 requests from our customers but since it is such a simple thing to make we can do them in small quantities in house. I will post a price and availability on this thread when we have it completed.

If the demand is high we will produce them in larger quantity making sure if you want it you can get it.
does this include Me

if this brings my 4800 back up to speed then Job done
Old 12-19-2006, 11:29 AM   #485
Tech Addict

LOL!

Yes you are part of both percentages

Old 12-19-2006, 12:07 PM   #486
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo

The good news is I didn't waste any money on the balancer. Got some cheap lipos for my transmitter that will surely need it.

Mr. Jolly - Do you need someone to buy the balancer in the states and get it out to you?
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 02:18 PM   #487
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Can you use any of the orion chargers for balancing? Do they have a special port of profile or ?

Marty
414MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:39 PM   #488
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzo
The good news is I didn't waste any money on the balancer. Got some cheap lipos for my transmitter that will surely need it.

Mr. Jolly - Do you need someone to buy the balancer in the states and get it out to you?
that would be handy actually i have paypal account

also still waiting on the UK orion dealer (Mirage) to get back to me about the balencer stuff (4 weeks & still counting
Old 12-20-2006, 05:25 PM   #489
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Will it be better to buy 1 platinum lipo again or 2 carbon? Will the lower mah mean the carbon has less punch? What kind of runtime is expected compared to current nimh?
Old 12-21-2006, 07:34 AM   #490
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I have run nothing but the Orion & Peak Racing Lipo's for the past year. They are the best thing that has happened to RC since brushless systems and ESC's. Well, with the Orion 4800mah packs, runing Novak 4.5R's, we get between 8-9 minutes of run time, on fast, all out racing. And about 9-10 mins on tight-technical tracks. We run on asphalt, with foams, so we have better grip and take the cars to the max- we really push them. With the 3200mah, you will get 5-6 minutes of run time under the same conditions. Now if you run w/ rubber tires, driving will be a bit smoother, so you'll probably get a a few laps of more run-time. The 2 packs I have run for almost 11 months now, almost everyday, always give me the same puch and power and run time. Its great, and there is no way I'll ever go back to the stone age 6 cell packs ever again.

"Release the Kraken"
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 07:41 AM   #491
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying G.E.O.
Will it be better to buy 1 platinum lipo again or 2 carbon? Will the lower mah mean the carbon has less punch? What kind of runtime is expected compared to current nimh?
Personally, I'd recommend you get the 3200mah packs. They are cheaper, and have the same power and punch of the 4800mah, but weigh about 50g less. It will put less stress on your drive train and keep it running cooler. This is great for 5-6min racing, especially for 19t or stock. However, if you use the 4800mah packs, do not plan on running them on LOSI JRX-S, Xray, Tamiya MSX, unless you dont mind modifiying the bulkheads on those cars. One advantage of the 4800mah, is that it fits on all cars, and for racing, you can run 2 heats with the same pack. The 4800 are great for longer run times if you need them.

"Release the Kraken"
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 09:37 AM   #492
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying G.E.O.
buy 2 carbons and sell your platinum to me

ive read somewhere that punch and runtime is comparable to IB4200, even if the carbon has a lower mah rating.
marvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 09:44 AM   #493
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyhayyim
... The 2 packs I have run for almost 11 months now, almost everyday, always give me the same puch and power and run time...
yyhayyim: do you balance your packs or just charge them the usual way? ive had my platinum for a few months now. i dont run regularly (probably 2x a month) and i always store it charged. i use it for the whole race day (practice, qualy, race) with a short cool down in between, charge, then run again. but i havent balanced them yet.
marvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:49 AM   #494
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvi
i use it for the whole race day (practice, qualy, race) with a short cool down in between, charge, then run again. but i havent balanced them yet.
No "cool-down" required. They cool down when they charge.

No kidding.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 12:15 PM   #495
Tech Rookie

power cap

just ordered a set of team orion lipo.whith my old nimh,i ran a pwer cap across battery connections on esc,will this still be ok or shell i have to remove it??????

many thanks
martin
brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote