Search

Team Orion 3200mAh Race Spec LiPo

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 09:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 414MPH
Mr. Black, (how very formal)

Hey, I've finally been sold on LiPo's. The research I've conducted indicates the Orion LiPo's are by far the best for a TC application. A job well done to Rick, you and the whole team!

I do have two quick question:
1) Why do the 4800 and the 3200 have their connectors reversed? (Just a wire management nit pick)
B) Is there a good LiPo ONLY charger you recomend. The Advantage is very nice, but when switch, why do I need a charger that does LiPo, NiMh, NiCad and lead acid? I'm looking for quality, small size and reasonable price.

Oh, and Cliff, Lee says "F Y Y F" !

Thanks in advance,
Marty
www.wisconsinrctouringcarseries.com
I am also in the market of LIPO charger, and know that this FMA Scopian Charger is good cause it does do the charging and balancing all at once. Total is less then $100 for the charger and the special balancing/charging cable especially built just for Orion Lipo (3200 and 4800)...the best part is, only take 20 minutes to charge the Lipo to 90%. It is a good idea for long time EP car running use.

You must purchase this charger thru them directly....lately, they got pissed off with Koham and some other distributor and ended up selling their products themself. Shipping to USA is like $8.00 ground. I've just ordered one for my friend to try since he did all the research online and think this is the best charger for LIPO for less then $100. I am using ICE and cannot do the balancing, which I am not sure I have to balance my Lipo or not.

Here is their website...

http://www.fmadirect.com/Products.htm?cat=32&nid=24

Old 12-14-2006, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Mr. Black, (how very formal)

Hey, I've finally been sold on LiPo's. The research I've conducted indicates the Orion LiPo's are by far the best for a TC application. A job well done to Rick, you and the whole team!

I do have two quick question:
1) Why do the 4800 and the 3200 have their connectors reversed? (Just a wire management nit pick)
B) Is there a good LiPo ONLY charger you recomend. The Advantage is very nice, but when switch, why do I need a charger that does LiPo, NiMh, NiCad and lead acid? I'm looking for quality, small size and reasonable price.

Oh, and Cliff, Lee says "F Y Y F" !

Thanks in advance,
Marty
Marty... does this mean Lipo is now legal for the WTCS?
Old 12-14-2006, 07:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Wow, "quoted" three times in a row. Thanks guys.

Jim, (who's favorite track is HTUSA Oshkosh) I do not consider it a prudent act to change rules mid-series. Unless, of course, I am over-rules once again. If only I had taken the time to explore the wonderfull world of ORION (the best of the best) lipo's during pre series rule-making, things may have been different.

I myself am reluctant to purchase additional 4200 cells (IB or EP) at this time due to the belief and hope that the R/C world will wake-up soon and smell the LiPO's.

I will now be a close lurker on this thread topic as it has been extreamely informative and influential in my epiphany on the ways of the LiPo.

btw Rick, DOC (BH) says "hey" from cheeese land.

Marty
Old 12-14-2006, 07:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Oh yes, and one additional thing. Cliff, F Y Y F !
Marty
Old 12-14-2006, 07:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Sorry, but I am brain dead or drunk by now but,..
Thanks Hebiki and Solara for the suggestions on chargers, I will research both excelent products.

Has anyone had experience with the SUPER BRAIN 977 charger? http://www.modelrectifier.com/search...ew.asp?ID=1908
It will charge two packs at once and is economical. Is balancing really just charging each "half" of an Orion pack to peak? Would this charger be able to perform this task? Is it a quality piece or a less desirable item to have in your pit?

Thanks,
Marty
Old 12-15-2006, 09:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Sorry, but I am brain dead or drunk by now but,..
Thanks Hebiki and Solara for the suggestions on chargers, I will research both excelent products.

Has anyone had experience with the SUPER BRAIN 977 charger? http://www.modelrectifier.com/search...ew.asp?ID=1908
It will charge two packs at once and is economical. Is balancing really just charging each "half" of an Orion pack to peak? Would this charger be able to perform this task? Is it a quality piece or a less desirable item to have in your pit?

Thanks,
Marty
Marty - I'll have to check when I get home from work but the last Platinum I bought had a notice to NOT use one of the superbrains to charge and it may have been the 977. Unless someone else can answer first, I'll post later.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Just confirmed. There is an insert in the new pack I got. Specifically recommends against the MRC 977 charger. No reasons listed. Any reason that you were looking at that particular charger?

For balancing, I am currently using the Orion Avionics balancer in disconnect mode. But honestly I got it just in case because I now have 8 plats. None of my batteries with anywhere between 20-30 runs have gone out of balance. Using a multimeter all cells within .01V of each other. I believe they need to be .20V or more of each other to be considered in need of balancing. Personally I take the extra 2 seconds after charging to check the cells with a multimeter to verify balance.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Kuzo,
Thanks for the heads up.

What exactly is balancing and how is it accomplished?

Marty
Old 12-15-2006, 05:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Kuzo,
Thanks for the heads up.

What exactly is balancing and how is it accomplished?

Marty
With the carbon and platinum you have 2 cells in series which gets you to 7.4V - 3.7 x 2 = 7.4. The charger charges based on the total voltage of the pack; in this case final voltage is 8.4V which is 4.2V per cell. However if out of balance one cell may be running .2V lower than the other cell for example. In this case the charger will still stop at 8.4V for the pack which would put one cell at 4.0V and the other at 4.4V. With lipo this can be very dangerous. With the Orion balancer, if you run in connected mode, it connects between your charger and battery and stops the charging to each cell when they reach 4.2V. In disconnteced mode you connect to the battery without a charger and I believe it brings the higher voltage cell down to the same level as the lower voltage.

At least this is how I understand it and I'm sure the experts will correct what I've missed.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:13 PM
Tech Addict

Kuzo is correct.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks.

Is the avionics a good charger for the 4800 and 3200?

Marty
Old 12-18-2006, 05:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks.

Is the avionics a good charger for the 4800 and 3200?

Marty
The Avionics Advanced is a good charger. Pretty simple and straightforward. No memory settings though which can be annoying if you charge different types of batts. The price is decent but the Ice is not much more. I'm using both and they each have high and low points.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:02 PM
Tech Regular

the astro flight 109 is a great charger thats the one i would go with
Old 12-19-2006, 01:07 AM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Originally Posted by Solara
I am also in the market of LIPO charger, and know that this FMA Scopian Charger is good cause it does do the charging and balancing all at once. Total is less then $100 for the charger and the special balancing/charging cable especially built just for Orion Lipo (3200 and 4800)...the best part is, only take 20 minutes to charge the Lipo to 90%. It is a good idea for long time EP car running use.

You must purchase this charger thru them directly....lately, they got pissed off with Koham and some other distributor and ended up selling their products themself. Shipping to USA is like $8.00 ground. I've just ordered one for my friend to try since he did all the research online and think this is the best charger for LIPO for less then $100. I am using ICE and cannot do the balancing, which I am not sure I have to balance my Lipo or not.

Here is their website...

http://www.fmadirect.com/Products.htm?cat=32&nid=24

Thats more like it , a proper made up lead

i take it the tamiya connector plugs into the side of the charger

Right now to get one in the UK

still can`t see why orion didn`t do one straight off though MR Black

anyway it`s done now & we are moving forward
Old 12-19-2006, 07:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Mr Jolly - The bigger question about balancing orion lipos is have you had to do it yet? I bought the balancer just in case and it's sitting on my shelf getting dusty and after thirty runs on a couple, the cells are within .02V of each other. Also, connectors are made to be altered in the rc world. Would you leave the stock Tamiya plugs on the lipo or cut off and replace?

Mr Black - How many runs have you seen on either orion lipo before balancing was necessary?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.