R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-08-2006, 02:24 PM   #451
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy
But not as good as mine looks in my T2 jolly.

Is there any way to take the case apart on my 3200 carbon ,so i can change one of coraly tubes to a male connector, as i cross conected my speedo last week and managed to fry it
Hi
Ask MR Black about how many amps you can charge the carbon 3200 @
since your having probs getting it to full charge between races (quick turn around @ club)
he won`t bite daffy
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 02:29 PM   #452
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara
Got the 3200 and about to start charging/using it the first time.......I do have the ICE charger, what is the best/correct setup to charge this Lipo...? I am sure it is safe, but want to get more info before charging, thanks...
i have the ICE machine

select Li-Po in menu
tell it the batt is a 3200 ,thats it , press dial once to see which charge menu your @ ,then press & hold for it to start charging (allways keep a eye on battrey`s charging) never walk away unattended

if semi empty amps will go to 3.2 a (i have ask mr black if carbon can go higher in the amps to charge up a bit quicker), as the voltage creeps upto 8.4v it will slowley decrease the charge amps till it is full ,note it should never go over 8.4v if it does get it off the charger ,so just keep one eye on there
this is the same for ALL types of batts even c-cells ,never leave unattended
Old 12-08-2006, 02:43 PM   #453
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR JOLLY
i have the ICE machine

select Li-Po in menu
tell it the batt is a 3200 ,thats it , press dial once to see which charge menu your @ ,then press & hold for it to start charging (allways keep a eye on battrey`s charging) never walk away unattended

if semi empty amps will go to 3.2 a (i have ask mr black if carbon can go higher in the amps to charge up a bit quicker), as the voltage creeps upto 8.4v it will slowley decrease the charge amps till it is full ,note it should never go over 8.4v if it does get it off the charger ,so just keep one eye on there
this is the same for ALL types of batts even c-cells ,never leave unattended
Mr Jolly...Thanks, seems like it is even easier then charging Nimh (by setting AMPS and Delta Peak, top off and temp and this and that....)
Ok...so lets say after 10 minutes of practice with 13.5 BL and I get tied at the stand and need to sit down.........what feature on my ICE that I should use? "REPEAK" or "CHARGE"?...for my next 10 minutes practice..?

Also...no need to discharge? Balance and all those BS like Nimh? (I hope). Thanks
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 03:19 PM   #454
Tech Elite

Quote:
Mr Jolly...Thanks, seems like it is even easier then charging Nimh (by setting AMPS and Delta Peak, top off and temp and this and that....)
Ok...so lets say after 10 minutes of practice with 13.5 BL and I get tied at the stand and need to sit down.........what feature on my ICE that I should use? "REPEAK" or "CHARGE"?...for my next 10 minutes practice..?

Also...no need to discharge? Balance and all those BS like Nimh? (I hope). Thanks
To add to Mr. Jolly, you should set the charge amp to 1C or for 3200mAh battery = 3.2A charge current.

You can charge the Lipo anytime you want. No need for Nimh battery routine. I would just put the battery back on to charge after your practice. I don't believe there is a "Repeak" feature in the Lipo profile in the ICE.
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 03:27 PM   #455
Tech Elite

Just do your race , & just put is back on `Charge` that`s it
no discharging

Balencing well ,

i would like one ,& this is where me & Mr Black don`t agree on (no harm)
there isn`t a dedicated Balencer for these orion pks , so they ask you to make one up from the excisting airplane type one`s , which i don`t agree on

i think it`s wrong that consumers have to do DIY for there balencer to be used on orion LI-Po`s
if you wire it up wrong ,warrenty is out of the window really (coz you wired it up wrong )
be a LOT better if orion bring out a proper Balencer that fits the 3 tubes on the orion Li-po`s instead of hacking another companys balencer up to fit the orion Li-Po`s (are you convinced yet Mr BLACK )

balencing does work airplane guy`s use this all the time to keep the performances up , they have been doing it for the last 3 years
Old 12-08-2006, 03:33 PM   #456
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydewynder
To add to Mr. Jolly, you should set the charge amp to 1C or for 3200mAh battery = 3.2A charge current.

You can charge the Lipo anytime you want. No need for Nimh battery routine. I would just put the battery back on to charge after your practice. I don't believe there is a "Repeak" feature in the Lipo profile in the ICE.

The ICE charger selects the amp rate according to the capacity you put in
ICE machine has Li-Po menu in there , so 4800 platinum it selects 4.8 a ,3200 carbon it picks 3.2
machine does nicads, Nimh, LiPo,

i would like to know if the carbon can be charged @ a higher rate Mr Black say 4.5a maybe (safely)
Old 12-08-2006, 06:12 PM   #457
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

thank you all....I think I will just leave it 3200mah with 3.2 amp charge, run the car untill I get tired, then hit charge, and run it, then get tired, then charge, then run it.....like 15-20 times per day...and pack it and head home.

Thanks....I love technology.....Li-po and brushless.....I am afraid I will quit Nitro in the summer....
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 10:20 PM   #458
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/hardwa...1973290,00.htm

LiPo, for the win!
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 12:40 AM   #459
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

The ICE will charge at any rate you tell it to. It will only go to the rated capacity you input (in mAh), but if you set it to 8 amps, it'll do 8 amps.

IOW, you have to tell it you want a 1C charge rate, it doesn't do it by itself.

Last edited by Turbo Joe; 12-10-2006 at 01:25 AM.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 11:51 PM   #460
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

If you're struggling for ways to keep this battery from sliding around on your CF chassis, you can glue some thick rubber o-rings to the chassis on the belt side of the battery to act as "bumpers" and help keep the pack in place. On my RDX, at least, the battery is narrow enough that I can get some of these rings behind it without them hitting the belt.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 11:54 AM   #461
Tech Addict

Quote:
Got the 3200 and about to start charging/using it the first time.......I do have the ICE charger, what is the best/correct setup to charge this Lipo...? I am sure it is safe, but want to get more info before charging, thanks...
2 cell
7.4V
3.2 Amps = (1C rate)

You can charge these @ 5 Amps but it will lower the lifespan of the battery how much depends on how often you do it.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:37 PM   #462
Tech Regular

you should charge it at 1c 3.2 amp and you will be just fine
tom235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 05:42 PM   #463
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Mr. Black, (how very formal)

Hey, I've finally been sold on LiPo's. The research I've conducted indicates the Orion LiPo's are by far the best for a TC application. A job well done to Rick, you and the whole team!

I do have two quick question:
1) Why do the 4800 and the 3200 have their connectors reversed? (Just a wire management nit pick)
B) Is there a good LiPo ONLY charger you recomend. The Advantage is very nice, but when switch, why do I need a charger that does LiPo, NiMh, NiCad and lead acid? I'm looking for quality, small size and reasonable price.

Oh, and Cliff, Lee says "F Y Y F" !

Thanks in advance,
Marty
www.wisconsinrctouringcarseries.com
414MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 06:04 PM   #464
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

yeah Orion's lipo is by far the best quality. From inputs from rc flyers, its best not to buy cheaper lipos especially from china. Some catch fire in mid air flight(an expensive trex ) and some stink after 50 cycles.
So far Orions lipo has had me over 50 cycle and still like brand new. Rcmart is selling it for 83US. I'll probably get two when my friend goes to HK at the end of the month.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:55 AM   #465
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 414MPH
Mr. Black, (how very formal)

Hey, I've finally been sold on LiPo's. The research I've conducted indicates the Orion LiPo's are by far the best for a TC application. A job well done to Rick, you and the whole team!

I do have two quick question:
1) Why do the 4800 and the 3200 have their connectors reversed? (Just a wire management nit pick)
B) Is there a good LiPo ONLY charger you recomend. The Advantage is very nice, but when switch, why do I need a charger that does LiPo, NiMh, NiCad and lead acid? I'm looking for quality, small size and reasonable price.

Oh, and Cliff, Lee says "F Y Y F" !

Thanks in advance,
Marty
www.wisconsinrctouringcarseries.com
marty.. try their (team orion) avionics charger. does lipo. only costs $65 and its very tiny.
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote