R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-01-2006, 01:41 PM   #436
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCknight
what will be the future of lipo? If lipos goes south, I will be done with RC. It seems some people are tring to kill the future of lipos. Any thoughts on this matter?
Whatever ROAR and IFMAR have to say will actually have little effect on what the future of Li-Po or any other mass produced product in RC is, as the majority of RC cuctomers will never enter a "sanctioned" race and it is those customers that make or break products. ROAR and IFMAR are there to support and promote racing not any manufacturers or retail shops business.

This is why there are still so many Ni-Cd packs to this day being sold in hobby shops and why we sell more stick packs then we do matched cells. The buying public has spoken at the cash register and they are very much into Li-Po. As it will continue, we will continue to push the technology further.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 01:44 PM   #437
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
I'm pretty sure the LiPo companies don't rely on R/C for their livelihood. You know, because every other industry around uses them. Just continue to roll your eyes at the retards that run this hobby and use what you like.
This is true they do not rely on us to make numbers but they do look to us as an industry that pushes there technology the hardest and work closely with some of us in doing R&D to help produce new product. For those of use lucky enough to have a close relationship with the cell manufacturers we are influential in the product you see come to market more so then some will admit.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
Old 12-01-2006, 04:42 PM   #438
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlack
Whatever ROAR and IFMAR have to say will actually have little effect on what the future of Li-Po or any other mass produced product in RC is, as the majority of RC cuctomers will never enter a "sanctioned" race and it is those customers that make or break products. ROAR and IFMAR are there to support and promote racing not any manufacturers or retail shops business.

Except in the UK .where no club will allow them unless the BRCA pass them .so over here you might get the odd few but`s that`s it
even non-sanctioned events the Race directors won`t allow them unless BRCA pass them

so the UK market is a bit pants for Li-Po in cars

i have my carbon 3200 now ,by the way ,haven`t been put off by the platinum going AWOL in it`s performance , But i know have a top MIRAGE operator involved in sorting out a proper balencer for these ,instead of buyers hacking up other balencers to work (yes still working on the proper built balencer for the orion/peak setup )
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 06:58 AM   #439
Tech Adept

Mr Jolly where do you race ?

There are clubs you can use Lipos in the UK.
For example, Macctrack & StokeRCMCC.
Since the Orion 3200 came out we now have about 7 out of 25 racers using Lipo each week and more looking to start using them next time they replace there packs.
The only problem we are having with Lipos is because they are that light the cars want to roll when turning in the same direction to the side the battery is mounted and putting over 100g of weight on is a pain, but this is a small price to pay for the convienance of LIPO.
Steve B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 08:53 AM   #440
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B
Mr Jolly where do you race ?

There are clubs you can use Lipos in the UK.
For example, Macctrack & StokeRCMCC.
Since the Orion 3200 came out we now have about 7 out of 25 racers using Lipo each week and more looking to start using them next time they replace there packs.
The only problem we are having with Lipos is because they are that light the cars want to roll when turning in the same direction to the side the battery is mounted and putting over 100g of weight on is a pain, but this is a small price to pay for the convienance of LIPO.
at the mo sidcup,aldershot used to allow then ,but since they failed @ agm they are not allowed anymore
barham allowed them , but there were a few drivers that thought it was unfair , no points were allowed if used

all the others that i race at now & possible do club race at next year will so No.
maritime ,carpetwars,WKRCC(tonbridge),aldershot,west london,

there are loads that won`t alow them coz they are not passed by the BRCA
the Race directors don`t want to take the chance & then find they are not covered

you will find even though the BRCA will cover who use`s them ,you will find race directors deneying them on the grounds (if it`s not good enough for the BRCA , then they are not good enough to be used ` outlook

as stated by BRCA official has said the BRCA ins will cover the user & club for the Li-Po`s to be used in NON- BRCA sanctioned events

Li-Po`s are legal to be used in the UK full stop
But as soon as you want to use them in clubs it`s a No No ,UNLESS THEY ARE ON THE LIST

Quite few top racers THINK it`s unfair to have them , so since these guy`s go to the AGM , they dissmiss them (for now) so another year passes

also it doesn`t help with 4 cell or 5 cell

so Mr Black get orion to release a 5v or 6v one out then the 5 cell arguers can`t argue

putting lead on is no problem atall ,1 pack 3200 instead of 4 packs of c cells @ 45.00 a pop (180.00) & fancy 180. chargers & fancy 100 dischargers

Aw that`s 460.00 please thank you very much see you in 6 months time for new batterys sir , YES i`m a mug i`ll be back

Brits don`t like changes rather the `devil they know` then the devil they don`t`
Old 12-02-2006, 11:01 AM   #441
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to MattW

Well, i have 2 clubs local to me, and both allow LiPo. I think they should be allowed at club level, and when i was asked for my opinion at my local club (being on the organising committee) i said i thought we should allow them.

That said, i don't think they should be used at nationals, and hence voted against them at the BRCA agm.
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 11:37 AM   #442
Tech Elite

Yep i can see that re;nats

but there Quite a few clubs that pick & chose how to use the BRCA list
i would like it as ; if it`s club meet where ever then they can be used
simple ,but it`s not ,1 club says it`s not been passed not on the list, the other club will say yeah no probs list only for Nats

very inconsistence use of the rules from one club to another , Be nice for BRCA board to send out e-mails to Race directors to let THEM know where they stand with re;; to use of orion Li-Po at there clubs ,some of them will feel better if they had it in writing that they are covered (whats a piece of ink & paper), Then RD men can make there own mind up weather to use them or not ,alot of this is down to ins cover you know

hard cased ones should be the only ones used by the way (protected better)

trakpower gold bar ,platinum, carbon 3200
Old 12-02-2006, 02:09 PM   #443
Tech Adept

I also agree about the National events but the guys in them dont usally buy their own cells, but if the BRCA aproved LIPO could they still say they are not allowed at Nationals ?
We keep earing about the lack of newcomers and batteries like LIPOs are one thing that would go towards helping them. I mean at the moment you get a noob at the club, they ask about the cell you tell them u really need 3 packs, they then ask what they cost and that puts them off straight away. Just imagine if the RTR they had came with a LIPO instead of Nimh it would be great to use but the local club wont allow them to use it, this cant be good for the hobby can it !
Steve B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 11:16 AM   #444
Tech Addict

I would not be surprised if you you see an RTR come with a Li-Po by next Xmas. They are starting to come with Brushless. If Toy grade vehicles can come Li-Po then try explaining that one to a new comer who went from Race Fan to Toy RC to Hobby grade that His toy car has a higher technology then his race RC car will have and at a hoger cost and shorter lifespan?

Old 12-08-2006, 12:52 AM   #445
Tech Elite

Nice one MR Black
then maybe the governing Body`s will get there thinking caps on & think `hey some racers who vote this stuff in or out` really don`t know whats best or worst for the majority

my carbon looks nice in my BD by the way
Old 12-08-2006, 09:19 AM   #446
Tech Rookie

But not as good as mine looks in my T2 jolly.

Is there any way to take the case apart on my 3200 carbon ,so i can change one of coraly tubes to a male connector, as i cross conected my speedo last week and managed to fry it
daffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:21 AM   #447
Tech Addict

if you take the case apart you void any warranbty and also risk damaging the cells. Everything is held together with adhesive protecting the cell from impact while still allowing the cell to safely expand from within the case so if sombody tries to destroy it it can swell from within opening the case up freely giving it room to expand. This a nother feature that makes our cells unique along with the fact that they self extiunguish internally preventing any flame outs. You could always solder a positive onto the back of a male 4mm plug if you are worried. We had to use the negative tubes to provide the least amount of resictance, packaging as well as the safest means to prevent shorting between the two terminals.

Old 12-08-2006, 01:00 PM   #448
B3x
Tech Adept

Lightbulb

This should be the technology of choice, to put everyone at the same level in Stock. No more power advantage when charging at high amps. No edge due to expensive matched cels and the equipment to manage them.

New Class "SilverCan/Lipo".

We could also do 27T/lipo, for the motor tuner's...
B3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 01:20 PM   #449
Tech Addict

This is the spec we run at Tamiya for F-103 GT and for Mini and everyone that runs thouroughly enjoys it. Touring seems to be happy running 19T, 23T or 4300 BL and for Mod it's wide open all these classes seem to have something to offer for everyone. Plus there is a very good skill progression.

Most at Tamiya are making the switch to Li-Po as many of them are weekend racers only and very few go to any big races.

I truly think Li-Po is a very good starting point to eliminate some of the gripes people have.

Old 12-08-2006, 02:18 PM   #450
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Got the 3200 and about to start charging/using it the first time.......I do have the ICE charger, what is the best/correct setup to charge this Lipo...? I am sure it is safe, but want to get more info before charging, thanks...
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote